Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Emergency Metal Key for DB9 2013

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2023 | 04:32 PM
|
AM-DB9.2 is infamous around these partsAM-DB9.2 is infamous around these parts
Emergency Metal Key for DB9 2013

I was just quoted $411 delivered for a "cut to VIN" Emergency Key at the dealer.
Is this the average price?

Anyone know of an alternative option?
I asked a company in the UK (about half that price), but they can only cut those keys for owners in the UK.

Old 12-08-2023 | 04:49 PM
EJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AM-DB9.2
I was just quoted $411 delivered for a "cut to VIN" Emergency Key at the dealer.
Is this the average price?

Anyone know of an alternative option?
I asked a company in the UK (about half that price), but they can only cut those keys for owners in the UK.
This is cheap!
The dealer here in the bay area of San Francisco is asking for $450 for the key + $290 for coding/cutting...
Did you get this one at an official dealer?

Old 12-08-2023 | 05:16 PM
|
Hi,
Yes, quoted today at AM of Scottsdale.
Good to know, I think I'll double check that the price quote did include the cutting.

I know astonmartinbits in the UK sells the blank key for about $169 + shipping, but then the question becomes who would cut it to your VIN and how much?

Old 12-08-2023 | 05:27 PM
EJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond repute
Hi,
Yes, quoted today at AM of Scottsdale.
Good to know, I think I'll double check that the price quote did include the cutting.

I know astonmartinbits in the UK sells the blank key for about $169 + shipping, but then the question becomes who would cut it to your VIN and how much?
Yes indeed, I explored the AMBits as well, but I believe dealers in the USA won't touch a key that wasn't sold in their network...

Old 12-08-2023 | 08:14 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Last I checked about 2 years ago it was in the $350 range. And with any key to VIN order, you need to provide proof ownership with license and registration.

Old 12-08-2023 | 09:04 PM
|
I had time to kill at the AM dealer today - 2 software recalls done - so i spent some time at the parts dept.

Thanks, so it sounds like their price quote is not out of line.
The parts dept did mention the proof of ownership requirement.
Using the VIN, once they have the proof of ownership they mail the key out (somewhere) to be cut.

Old 12-09-2023 | 05:40 AM
V12Virage is infamous around these parts
FYI - It is a standard Ford/Jaguar Tibbe key, so if you're not concerned about having the fancy AM version you can get a Jaguar blank for a few dollars and find an automotive locksmith with the Tibbe reader who can cut the key, for a fraction of the cost.

Old 12-09-2023 | 03:36 PM
|
Tibbe key - good to know, i will check that out come Monday - Thank you
So far i have saved on avg 83% with replacement of missing parts like a Lamy pico pen and a generic black Umbrella (~ $60 for the 2).

Old 12-09-2023 | 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by V12Virage
FYI - It is a standard Ford/Jaguar Tibbe key, so if you're not concerned about having the fancy AM version you can get a Jaguar blank for a few dollars and find an automotive locksmith with the Tibbe reader who can cut the key, for a fraction of the cost.
This is assuming that you own the original key blade, right?

Old 12-09-2023 | 11:12 PM
|
I haven't talked to a locksmith yet, but from the research I've been doing today, it doesn't look like it.
It appears that the AM metal key is a 6 position Tibbe key.
There is a tool that locksmiths have that determines the cut position (1-4) of each of the 6 positions on the key,
The tool is inserted into the car lock to determine those positions and then can be verified by opening the lock.
Now the locksmith has the code to cut the new 6 position key blank. That could look something like "243312".
My next task is to call around to find a locksmith who can cut a Tibbe key blank.

Last edited by AM-DB9.2; 12-09-2023 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2023 | 06:23 AM
corveight is infamous around these parts
I needed the emergency key for my Rapide. I found it was cheaper to buy the lock cylinder set and key. It was much more labor intensive however.

Old 12-10-2023 | 09:52 AM
I haven't talked to a locksmith yet, but from the research I've been doing today, it doesn't look like it.
It appears that the AM metal key is a 6 position Tibbe key.
There is a tool that locksmiths have that determines the cut position (1-4) of each of the 6 positions on the key,
The tool is inserted into the car lock to determine those positions and then can be verified by opening the lock.
Now the locksmith has the code to cut the new 6 position key blank. That could look something like "243312".
My next task is to call around to find a locksmith who can cut a Tibbe key blank.

I think I am going to go down that road as well.
I don't understand why the dealer wants to charge me $280 for "coding" when they should have the code from the factory already...
I did pay for the key though, so I'll grab it and will try and find a Tibbe cutter around.
Thanks for the info!

Old 12-11-2023 | 06:37 PM
|
My latest findings:
So far i have found one locksmith that can cut a Tibbe key in the Phoenix metro area.
Option 1: They want $350 to decode and cut one key. For this cost i would get the AM key from my local dealer.
Option 2: $150 to cut a key if i provide the code, so i would need to buy a Tibbe decoder tool $46 (eBay) to decode the lock myself, total of $196 - better.

Option 2 my be quoted a bit high because i think he was quoting a Jag key blank with transponder, a Ford Transit Connect non-transponder key blank can be had for under $15.
More to follow...

Old 12-22-2023 | 08:45 AM
|
Help - My 1st attempt at decoding the lock did not work.

Can someone please measure their AM metal key for me?
The blank Tibbe 6 position key i acquired measures just over 5/8" or 16.7mm (see pic).
There are also 8 position Tibbe keys, so i need to know i'm not going down the wrong road.

Old 12-22-2023 | 09:00 AM
UltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of light
I had this cut for me with this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/113757810749

My key is 6 position, and .6615" so looks like your blank

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Emergency Metal Key for DB9 2013