Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Weird noise out of braking system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 10:25 PM
EJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond repute
Weird noise out of braking system

Good evening,
I went out for a spirited-ish drive today, and after parking the car back home, I noticed a "banging" noise coming from the....calipers / rotors ?!
I had somehow noticed the noise in the past but it fainted quickly, so it never really worried me.
I replaced the rotors and flushed the brake fluid less than a year and 1,000 miles ago.
Any idea where that could come from? Anybody already experienced that noise?
Thanks for your help!

Old 04-18-2024, 12:08 AM
cbj5259 is infamous around these parts
Hard to say...could be multiple issues. Maybe a loose caliper mount? Might even be a suspension issue.

Old 04-18-2024, 04:38 AM
Stwsam is infamous around these parts
I had this on a non-Aston and it was a caliper not torqued down. Could be that simple but let us know when resolved so we can all be more educated. Also double check that you have no loose lug nuts. I am experienced at both of these boo boo’s!

Old 04-18-2024, 06:07 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Could be a pebble touching the rotor. Had an awful noise on both Aston's and driving in reserve dislodged it.

Old 04-18-2024, 07:33 AM
ram_g
Wait - this is a noise that comes AFTER you've stopped and parked the car? If yes, it doesn't have anything to do with loose anything or stuck pebbles because all of those will only make their presence felt if something is moving. If the car is parked and turned off, nothing is moving.

Mostly likely this is the popping noise associated with the contraction of heat shields, exhaust pipes, etc. that are cooling off after being nicely heated up during a "spirited-ish drive". Nothing to worry about. Unless the noise keeps going for a long time after the car is stopped, in which case it's time to call Ghostbusters or your friendly neighborhood exorcist!

Old 04-18-2024, 09:47 PM
EJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Stwsam
I had this on a non-Aston and it was a caliper not torqued down. Could be that simple but let us know when resolved so we can all be more educated. Also double check that you have no loose lug nuts. I am experienced at both of these boo boo’s!
Could it be that I had to reuse the same caliper bolts when I replaced my rotors and pads?
I ordered bolts from Redpants but they were shorter than the ones already on the car so I reused those (even though I know I have to replace them )

Old 04-18-2024, 10:57 PM
ram_g
Originally Posted by EJ_Rapide
Could it be that I had to reuse the same caliper bolts when I replaced my rotors and pads?
I ordered bolts from Redpants but they were shorter than the ones already on the car so I reused those (even though I know I have to replace them )
Dude, see my point above. Is your car stationary when you hear these noises? That’s what your opening post indicates, but maybe it isn’t quite phrased clearly?

In any case, IF your car is stationary, the noise has nothing whatsoever to do with caliper bolts, reused or not.

Old 04-19-2024, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by ram_g
Dude, see my point above. Is your car stationary when you hear these noises? That’s what your opening post indicates, but maybe it isn’t quite phrased clearly?

In any case, IF your car is stationary, the noise has nothing whatsoever to do with caliper bolts, reused or not.
Yes, dude, I can hear the noises "after parking the car back home".
I'll try and repeat the same scenario, see what happens.
Thank you for chiming in.

Old 04-27-2024, 07:44 PM
sliderule01 is infamous around these parts
Sounds like contraction noises from the heat, and parts cooling off

Old 06-29-2024, 11:33 AM
Had the car in the shop this week for annual maintenance. I asked them to look into the front brake system, they couldn't visually identify any issue. Pads still have 10 mm on them.
I had them do a brake fluid flush, we'll see if that helps...
It's not impacting the braking or the drive ability, so I won't stress about it.

Old 06-30-2024, 03:26 PM
ram_g
Brake fluid flush will have zero impact.