Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2017 Bentley Bentayga Gearbox Malfunction - How screwed am I?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 05:39 PM
NBC Guy
Angry 2017 Bentley Bentayga Gearbox Malfunction - How screwed am I?

Hello everyone.

I've been a lurker on this forum for various cars my wife and I have owned for a while, never felt the need to post.

Well, unfortunately now I do, and I'm hoping the hivemind here can help me set my own expectations for how much of a bloodbath I'm about to endure.

Driving down the highway, throttle stopped responding and got this message on the dash:

Couldn't get it into gear.

Hell, we couldn't even get it into Neutral.

Had to watch my 2017 Bentayga get "skated" onto the back of a flatbed and towed.

Just spoke to the head mechanic at the local Rolls dealer as the local Bentley dealer is at least an hour away.

He provided the following list of active error codes:

1. P270300 Transmission friction element D apply time range performance

2. P073000 Gear Incorrect Ratio

3. P078000 Shift

4. P17F900 Parking Lock Mechanical Fault

5. P278400 Input/turbine Speed Sensor "A"/ "B" Correction

I thought I'd be ok with an aftermarket warranty, but now I'm going back through the excluded parts list and I see standard transmission clutch assembly, friction clutch disc and pressure plate and that seems to be a bit worrisome to me.

Is it me, or does this look like the whole transmission and not just the clutch:

https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part/273986/bentley/d6300037x/8-speed-automatic-gearbox-f-4v-j-01.html

Maybe they'll be able to get away with just using this?

https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part/274027/bentley/36a398317/repair-kit-for-mechatronics-d-13062.html

Or maybe, just maybe, it's a sensor that's gone bad.

How screwed am I?

Mike

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 07-01-2024 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Links
Old 07-01-2024, 07:30 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @NBC Guy ,
Welcome to 6speedonline !

As to your issue, your transmission does not have a clutch nor pressure plate, so the "standard transmission clutch assembly, friction clutch disc and pressure plate" does not apply to your vehicle, nor your automatic transmission, the clutch and pressure plate are for an actual standard transmission, meaning like old school with a clutch pedal, or like a Lamborghini with E-Gear standard transmission, your transmission has a torque converter as shown in the second link you posted, hopefully your issue is internal sensors and or mechatronics, your extended warranty should definitely cover the transmission in full.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 07-01-2024 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2024, 08:30 PM
NBC Guy
Johnny,

First off, let me congratulate you on your rebuild.
That was (is?) amazing!

The torque converter is an explicitly covered part, so I've got hope that all of that stuff will be covered.

Here's the real question:

Can I trust this car once it's repaired?
Or should I try to get rid of it once the mechanics have got it running successfully again?

I absolutely love this thing, but damn if driving something that's quit on me like that doesn't give me quite a bit of pause....

Last edited by NBC Guy; 07-01-2024 at 08:47 PM. Reason: wording