Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Trunk lid actuator failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2024, 08:33 PM
Wesco is infamous around these parts
Trunk lid actuator failure

2014 Vanquish. How do I open trunk lid for repair. I need to pull manual release.

Old 08-28-2024, 06:32 PM
Geflackt is infamous around these parts
I've had to go through this on my 2014 Vanquish. Remove the rear seats or panel. Then remove the upper deck panel. There's a large hole in that deck. Make a long stick that can grab the release handle. Try pulling it.
If that doesn't work(it didn't for me), you can then unscrew the latch hook. 2 screws. It'll give about a 1" opening of the trunk lid due to the trunk switch being attached to the latch hook. You'll need to carefully cut part of the bracket to get it apart enough. Then buy a new bracket as it holds the silver trunk release button.
It's all a real pain, but not fully destructive(except the bracket). I found that the switch on my auto-close mechanism shifted, so the trunk was in the process of soft closing when the switch shifted. That kept the entire mechanism tight. I wired up connectors from the switches and motors of the trunk mechanism all the way to under the left rear seat. If my trunk latch gets goofy again, I can unplug things and power it manually. Works great.
If you press the button, do you hear a faint click?
What happened when the trunk closed last time?
Have you let the car go to sleep?

Old 08-28-2024, 06:47 PM
Thank you for the reply, I figured I would have to remove the rear seating and lid. Yes it does click when the button or remote is pushed. Car is on a battery minder. When I pushed the button lid partially released, but not fully to open, so I pushed it down and tried to release. No joy, big mistake. Used car last week, everything was ok. I was looking for some information on interior removal. I have had rear seats out.

Old 08-28-2024, 07:18 PM
Geflackt is infamous around these parts
That's sort of what happened on my last failure - on a battery tender and pushed the lid closed by accident. I would get a slight click with the button, but ultimately it's the soft close switch that shifted. Once it was all apart, I pushed the switch back into position and used epoxy to hold it. Looking at other actuators online it appears that switch has glue, but mine had no evidence of glue(my car is a VERY early build, like the 40th Vanquish built).
For the rear seats, take up the seat bottoms, then lower seat back panels(velcro), then a few screws on the main seat backs. I don't fully remove them, just push them out of the way. Then it's a few screws on the rear deck I think. As it comes loose, unplug the brake light. Then you'll see the about 10" hole. You may have the trunk fuse panel in the way, but just push it rearward(it's velcro).
If pulling the latch handle doesn't work, I can give details on the next steps. If the handle pulls slightly, then your soft close is probably the issue. There _may_ be a way to release it by manually winding it that I didn't see until I had the entire thing apart. That would avoid unscrewing the latch and cutting things.

Old 08-28-2024, 08:21 PM
Thank you for your response and all the information. I will try this on Friday or Saturday, and I will post with results.

Old 09-04-2024, 03:55 PM
I tried what you said. Pulling the release did nothing. I am not sure what you mean by manually winding. Small space to work since I cannot remove the center trim cover that houses the brake light. Back on it again tomorrow.