Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Rapide - Cam Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2024, 08:33 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Rapide - Cam Position Sensor

I started getting error messages on the cam position sensor. The car was idling odd and loss of power. The code would eventually come back after clearing and brought it to the dealer.

Dealership determined the sensor was bad and needed replacing. Cost of the repair job was just over $3,000.00! Parts alone were $1,630. Didn't think this one would cost so much, but oh well.

Old 09-04-2024, 09:05 AM
UltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of light
That's a spicy repair bill. Did you evaluate doing it yourself if you had the ability to remove the intake manifold on the side requiring repair? The sensors are Ford based (DU-70, DU-102 afaik) and go for like $40-50.

You can compare visually the Ford 235-1468 Vs 4G43-39-10014 part # via Google images, and see the price difference.

Last edited by UltraMarine; 09-04-2024 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-04-2024, 09:14 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UltraMarine
That's a spicy repair bill. Did you evaluate doing it yourself if you had the ability to remove the intake manifold on the side requiring repair? The sensors are Ford based (DU-70, DU-102 afaik) and go for like $40-50
The dealership charged $1,044 for sensor assembly Sensor Assy, Crankshaft, Rear that Scuderia sells for $559. Similar mark up for the gaskets.

No qualms on the service or labor charges.

Last edited by brightoncorgi; 09-04-2024 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2024, 09:22 AM
UltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
The dealership charged $1,044 for sensor assembly Sensor Assy, Crankshaft, Rear that Scuderia sells for $559. Similar mark up for the gaskets.
Yeah, it's unfortunate that's what we find ourselves in with these cars. Dealership charges $1,044 for a sensor that Scuderia sells for $559, that Ford (Motorcraft OEM) sells a similar one for around $5

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&pt=7192&jsn=3

Last edited by UltraMarine; 09-04-2024 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-04-2024, 09:46 AM
The dealership use to discount parts some, but all of that staff & customer concern has long left. The new management are focused on maximizing as much as they can from each job. I get it, it's business and not as many are going there as they use to.

Old 09-04-2024, 10:03 PM
EJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond repute
What were the codes for your bad crankshaft sensors?
I was looking last weekend at what it would take to replace them. Are these parts you even replace as preventive maintenance, or wait for them to fail?
Do we know of any alternative part number for:
- Front timing sensor for crankshaft = Aston Martin #39-85756: I have Ford 1S7E-6C315-BA for this one?
- Rear timing sensor for crankshaft = Aston Martin #1R12-39-10475: This one seems the "easiest" to replace.
- Sensor, crankshaft timing = Aston Martin #07-85755

Old 09-05-2024, 06:03 AM
Originally Posted by EJ_Rapide
What were the codes for your bad crankshaft sensors?
I was looking last weekend at what it would take to replace them. Are these parts you even replace as preventive maintenance, or wait for them to fail?
Do we know of any alternative part number for:
- Front timing sensor for crankshaft = Aston Martin #39-85756: I have Ford 1S7E-6C315-BA for this one?
- Rear timing sensor for crankshaft = Aston Martin #1R12-39-10475: This one seems the "easiest" to replace.
- Sensor, crankshaft timing = Aston Martin #07-85755
I forget the actual code, but it said "cam position sensor" within the message. I terms of parts required, the dealership charged me for:
  • 07-85755 - SENSOR CID LH - $585.99
  • 1R12-08-10077-PK - GSKT-I.MANIFOL - $1,044.99
  • 4G43-39-10014 - SENSOR-CRANK T - $1,630.98

Old 09-05-2024, 10:28 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
They charged you 2x for the intake gaskets! They come as a pair (2) and list price is around $400 the part number even indicates PK meaning pack or more than one.
I would look for an alternative for service, after calling to explain how they have lost a great customer.

Old 09-05-2024, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
They charged you 2x for the intake gaskets! They come as a pair (2) and list price is around $400 the part number even indicates PK meaning pack or more than one.
I would look for an alternative for service, after calling to explain how they have lost a great customer.
I am disappointed at their pricing for loyal customers and feel taken advantage of. Been a customer for decade plus.

Old 09-05-2024, 08:02 PM
volvodrummer is infamous around these parts
There are other shops in the area that can more than handle a Rapide. Might be time to look farther afield sadly.