Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage Ski Slope leather fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2024, 04:57 PM
Bolo
Vantage Ski Slope leather fix

Hello all. In response to my previous thread, the V12 Vantage that I was looking at passed the PPI and made it the 600 miles home without issue! Big thanks to @Prefurbia for his insight and help throughout the process, and for the invite to the local owners group drive last weekend!

With that said, the car does have the notorious dash leather separation issue that these cars are famous for. I was aware of this with regards to the passenger airbag panel when I bought it, but something that I noticed on the drive home was that in addition to that airbag cover’s corner coming loose, the edge of the center stack/ski slope leather is starting to come loose as well.

I think I may be able to reattach it with some adhesive if I can get the dash speaker cover off, however if not I expect this will need to be redone. I have a shop local to me who can do the leather work, but if I can use the original leather and adhere it myself I’d much prefer that. Is there a video/tutorial for how to remove that dash speaker cover? If not, is there a walkthrough for how to remove the ski slope frame itself? To clarify, I am talking about the frame that houses the seat adjustment buttons and the radio, and that runs vertically from the center console to the windshield. I expect this is a pretty involved job so I’d prefer to readhere it back down and call it good if at all possible. Thanks all!

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM
momo stallion is infamous around these parts
welcome

video for dash trim part removal:

Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM
yvr
yvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond repute
A lot of stuff has to come out before you get to the "frame", including the nav and infotainment/control panel, as well as the seat switches and everything around them. I've done this on my DB9 and I imagine the Vantage is quite similar. I had a similar problem where the leading edges (nearest the windshield) were "unglued". Getting the speaker grille out requires removal of the piano black (or whatever) part of the ski slope because that part hides screws holding the grille in place. The worst part is removing and re-attaching the electrical connections to the infotainment piece -- expect to lose some skin; the cabling is very short. Small hands will help.

Here's another video that shows things all apart, but it's not really a "how to":

Here's what it looks like in a DB9. And yes, all those pieces need to come out to remove the "frame"...

Last edited by yvr; Yesterday at 09:19 PM.