Anyone in greater LA area want to teach me to drive stick?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 10:39 AM
pbfoot is infamous around these partspbfoot is infamous around these parts
Anyone in greater LA area want to teach me to drive stick?

Like the title states-I've driven a stick once and understand the mechanics of how a manual transmission works but I'd like to get a little better at driving one before I buy a MT car in the next few months because I refuse to buy a slushbox.

I know most people here aren't going to want a college student grinding their Porsche (an exaggeration obviously) but I was hoping someone may have a lower end car that they wouldn't mind losing 500 miles of cluch life on. I'd be more than happy to treat you to lunch or dinner or just straight up pay you a small fee for your services. I'm extremely responsible with cars (ran a detailing business in which I would pick up and return customers cars) and have never had an accident/ticket etc. including in my previous personal car. I've driven loads of cars from cheap Toyota's to $100K plus Mercedes, from tiny copacts to SUV's to sports cars so I am at home in pretty much anything.

I know this is probably a longshot but if you have the time/vehicle/patience to help me out I'd be extremely grateful-please shoot me a PM if you are willing. Thanks,
Matt

Old 03-06-2009, 10:54 AM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
i'd have no problem helping you out... in YOUR car.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:44 AM
WyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jhuang25
i'd have no problem helping you out... in YOUR car.

What he said!!!! If you know any available cute girls that might help as well.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:29 PM
I can teach myself once I get the car (I already know HOW to drive a stick, I just want a few hours more under my belt), its more that I don't really want to practice on a $40,000 car and was hoping someone maybe had a beater they wouldn't mind riding shotgun in for a few hours. As for the cute girls...I do go to SC

Old 03-06-2009, 07:15 PM
fripsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutfripsgirl has a spectacular aura about
Driving stick isn't too bad. If I was driving on my own within 3 hours of ever touching the thing, then anyone can do it.

I've also learned to 'vroom' during a downshift... Now I'm trying to master the double clutch

Old 03-06-2009, 07:37 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
let me name a few place to help you.. hertz, budget, national.......

Old 03-07-2009, 08:40 AM
GMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of light
F' it. I have a 67 VW you could use. I don't know if you want to drive all the way to the 909 though.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by trovan
let me name a few place to help you.. hertz, budget, national.......
Already thought of it but they don't rent manual cars (except maybe a few of their "fun" cars which you can't rent till 25).

Old 03-07-2009, 03:09 PM
cap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant future
Look for smaller rental companies or possibly a driving school. I contacted a driving school to teach my wife how to drive with manual transmission. A couple of hours was all she needed. In your case it should be less.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:14 AM
SoCal996 is infamous around these parts
Just out of curiousity, what kind of car are you planning on purchasing after you get more hours on a manual?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Plexiform is infamous around these parts
if you can afford a $100k mercedes then go buy a used old manual car and learn yourself in a parking lot....it really is the best way to learn. I did it when I was 13yrs old in a toyota corona.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:57 AM
vroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of light
Why not borrow one from your friends?? I'm sure some will be kind enough to lend it to you. Fight on!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:23 AM
fripsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutfripsgirl has a spectacular aura about
I learned on a moody Toyota. I don't agree with learning on a Mercedes... they are way too easy to drive. Gotta start on something a bit more challenging... that way you can drive anything.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by SoCal996
Just out of curiousity, what kind of car are you planning on purchasing after you get more hours on a manual?
Likely an E46 M3, but who knows what might strike me haha. I'm considering an M3, Evo X, S4/RS4, Elise, NSX-I'll pretty much consider anything that is a clean, modded example.

Originally Posted by Plexiform
if you can afford a $100k mercedes then go buy a used old manual car and learn yourself in a parking lot....it really is the best way to learn. I did it when I was 13yrs old in a toyota corona.
Most of those cars were not mine, they were client's cars.

Originally Posted by vroom
Why not borrow one from your friends?? I'm sure some will be kind enough to lend it to you. Fight on!
Unfortunately I don't have many friends with cars, and those who have them have automatics.

Does anyone know of a good place to either rent a stick or take a lesson? I can't seem to find anywhere online that isn't a full drivers ed. course.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:22 PM
vroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of light
I'm from SC too but my car is automatic. So not much I can do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone in greater LA area want to teach me to drive stick?