Modification Penalties and Registering out of state.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:30 AM
SFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of light
Modification Penalties and Registering out of state.

Ok, after searching this forum and plenty of others, as well as googling I still do not have my answer...

I was wondering if all 'first-time' offense tickets for illegal modifications are fix-it tickets? I thought I had remembered someone telling me that they can automatically impound your car if they feel...but didn't know if that was true or not.

Also, what if you are registered out of California in a city of a state that doesn't require Smog/Emissions testing? Then if you get pulled over, can you state that the car is not registered in CA and therefore shouldn't be held accountable to its laws?

Thanks for any help with these questions!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:17 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
get your car registered in Cali.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:17 PM
SFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of light
Thank you for your input. Does anyone have anything else?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Japanese Exotic ;)
Curtis@MD is a splendid one to beholdCurtis@MD is a splendid one to beholdCurtis@MD is a splendid one to beholdCurtis@MD is a splendid one to beholdCurtis@MD is a splendid one to beholdCurtis@MD is a splendid one to beholdCurtis@MD is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SFdreamer
Ok, after searching this forum and plenty of others, as well as googling I still do not have my answer...

I was wondering if all 'first-time' offense tickets for illegal modifications are fix-it tickets? I thought I had remembered someone telling me that they can automatically impound your car if they feel...but didn't know if that was true or not.

Also, what if you are registered out of California in a city of a state that doesn't require Smog/Emissions testing? Then if you get pulled over, can you state that the car is not registered in CA and therefore shouldn't be held accountable to its laws?

Thanks for any help with these questions!
You will have to register out of state and hold your license in that same state etc.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:23 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Registering out of state is a sure way to get pulled over ,saw a piece on this in the paper recently ,there cracking down on this trick and pulling out of state plates over if you work in CA you have to register in 2 weeks or something like that and once they pull you over, who knows what else.Also on the mods i believe you have to be street racing to get your car impounded.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:46 PM
NITECRUISER is infamous around these parts
^^^ Do you mind sharing which paper you read?

Old 08-14-2009, 10:41 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
I want to say 90 % sure it was the Daily Bulletin about a month ago but could have been LA times.CHP were the ones cracking down as it said it was a huge revenue loss for the state .

Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks a lot for the help twturbo! I already have a shiny new CA plate on back though after a JOYOUS 3.5hrs at the DMV!

Old 08-24-2009, 01:51 PM
anthony is just really niceanthony is just really niceanthony is just really niceanthony is just really niceanthony is just really nice
Hopefully I can shed some light on the fix-it ticket issue with my, unfortunately, extensive experience. I only have experience getting tickets for tinted windows, tinted tails and no front plate though, but I do know they can't impound your car for those (as previously stated, I think street racing will qualify you for getting impounded). What they can do is give you either a correctable or non-correctable ticket for those violations.

The correctables are the "fix-it" tickets and you can just go to a CHP station with the violation corrected and have the desk officer sign off on the ticket, then mail it in w/ a $25 court fee. The non-correctables are hundreds of dollars and are given out by out by officers who want you to pay DEARLY for violating the law, no matter how petty the laws may be that you violated. It all comes down to whether they determine there is persistent neglect on your part; read the quote below from this thread: http://www.chpforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1645

Good luck out there. They really have a hard-on for us right now with the state deficit.

Originally Posted by Fish'nChip
Why should you be given a chance to fix it when it was an intentional/deliberate violation? The officer checked the NO box for a reason. You should fix the tab issue and pay the fine for the tint. If you don't remove it....then fine, but you will run the risk of getting another citation. It is just like speeding, carpool etc. (without the point on your license of course)

The window tint thing is completely out of control in this state!! The idiots at tint install shops tell people it's legal to put tint on the front windows and 99.9 percent of people that get the tint put on their car do it only because they want their car to look cool! What part of IT'S ILLEGAL does everyone not understand. The problem is that most judges/courts don't have a clue on how to handle correctable violations. If it says "correctable" in their computer then they think they have no choice but to make it a "fix it."

Example, if you drive around with a broken taillamp for 4 months and you get a ticket, per the Vehicle Code, it should NOT be a correctable violation. Reason: Persistent neglect

Excuses for window tint:

1. I bought it that way.
2. I thought you could have 70% tint
3. An officer told me that it's legal if you can see throught it.
4. My husband/boyfriend did it.
5. My car is from ________ (<--put any state here)
6a. The guy that installed the tint said it was legal. (Of course he did, you big idiot....he wants to make $$$$$)
6b. By the way, when you get the ticket you will have to get it removed. Most people think you have to take it back to the tint place to have the same guy take it off. Of course he will charge you and get even more $$$$$ from you. SUCKER!!!

FYI: All you need is a hair dryer and about 3 minutes per window to do it yourself.

I am getting tired of it. I am going to send an email to my state lawmaker to create a separate law just for applied tint. The problem with the law now, is that it is just a generic "don't put anything on your windows law." There needs to one that has NO correctable option AND will carry a point count after a second conviction.

See jaybb got lucky and got a stupid and/or spineless judge. He committed several infractions and wasn't held accountable. OH WELL!

Old 08-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply anthony and the reference. And you unfortunately couldn't be any more spot on with the "state deficit" issue which is kind of sad because I am ALWAYS
pro-law enforcement...but the petty stuff just really irks me.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:35 PM
WyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud of
"Back in the day" I had a FULLY modded mustang 5.0 that I couldnt get smogged, so I registered it in Arizona. The registration was cheap, but the insurance was outrageous. Then I got pulled over and claimed it was my "river" car, but it didnt matter. Driving it in Ca I had to have it registered here. So I had to get it "smogged" and registered in Ca. No way was it worth it or would I go through that crap again. Keep in it Ca and find a good "smog station". Good luck to ya

Old 09-07-2009, 11:54 AM
EV0LVE is a jewel in the roughEV0LVE is a jewel in the roughEV0LVE is a jewel in the rough
if you're going to drive the car in California for an extended period of time, say 2 weeks or more, then get it registered and pay tax in california. the state wants their cut when you're driving on their public roads. it's not worth going thru the trouble of out-of-state registration just because of mods. if you have the means, keep the modded car as a weekend car.

illegal tint will always get noticed, especially if your car is dropped, wheels, etc. try to avoid tint on the front windows, cops hate it.

no front plate, cities that profit from red liight camera will cite you for lack of front plates, as it cuts their revenue from photo-citation. parking maids can also cite you for this, so if you park on public streets then you're likely to get cited anyway.

exhaust, most cops will get you for this anyway. if you're guilty of one of the 2 items above and get pulled over, you're likely to get one for exhaust as well, he's already got you pulled over.

engine mods, gauges on your dash are dead giveaways. exhaust mod can also trigger a check under the hood.

smog, better find a 'friendly' smog tech, possibly one with gambling, drinking, baller habit, he needs cash.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:14 AM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
i live in a smoge it once county ok twice (when u buy it and when u sell it) what a deal hope they don't change the law........