What is the best winding road in Southern Cal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:34 PM
raidentech is infamous around these parts
What is the best winding road in Southern Cal?

What is the best winding road in Southern Cal? Suggestions please!

Old 08-27-2010, 04:42 PM
henrysko is infamous around these partshenrysko is infamous around these parts
Not sure where you are but....take Hwy 14 East (towards Palmdale) to Sand Cyn exit, turn right and, after many twists/turns, you'll be in the San Fernando Valley.

Have fun.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:14 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
I love driving mulholland west of Topanga- all the way out to 23.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Basic Sponsor
ModernImage has a spectacular aura aboutModernImage has a spectacular aura about
In San Diego, these are my favorites, Highland Valley, Palomar Mtn, Banner Grade, and Montozuma.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:58 PM
M3glaubiger is infamous around these parts
havent extensively driven mulholland, that's why i would vote for palomar mtn.
also i think not as crowded as mulholland.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:04 PM
pcarczar is infamous around these parts
tuna cyn., stunt rd., piuma. those r some gems. tuna cyn. is a one way road (don't have to worry about oncoming traffic) and is extremely technical and challenging.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:24 PM
henrysko is infamous around these partshenrysko is infamous around these parts
For a real work out, you should take Mulholland starting from Leo Carrillo Beach to Kanan.

But, you'll have to be alert to lots of blind curves.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned
Skylin818 has a spectacular aura aboutSkylin818 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by raidentech
What is the best winding road in Southern Cal? Suggestions please!

Sequoia national park. SR190 back into quaker meadows, this is extremely brake intensive and do not take a car up there unless you have a modified transmission cooler/diff cooler & oil cooler.

Mullholand hwy is burned with many cops, so I'd really suggest taking it to the track if its that sort of spirited driving your after,unless you want to see this ?

I'd also look into getting a V1 detector and a tripple A card with the 200 free miles on it. Service and new set of tires is needed .

Old 09-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by pcarczar
tuna cyn., stunt rd., piuma. those r some gems. tuna cyn. is a one way road (don't have to worry about oncoming traffic) and is extremely technical and challenging.
Stunt repave they did has completely changed the road down hill in a bad way, reason I'm saying this is there is section down hill that now there it banks to the right has a dip in the corner and causing the car to do a lot of weird things in that turn. essentially makes the car dip and jump and its not the roller coaster at the bottom, and also they have not scraped up the debri from the middle and side of the new pave the city just did to the road !

Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 PM
pcarczar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Skylin818
Stunt repave they did has completely changed the road down hill in a bad way, reason I'm saying this is there is section down hill that now there it banks to the right has a dip in the corner and causing the car to do a lot of weird things in that turn. essentially makes the car dip and jump and its not the roller coaster at the bottom, and also they have not scraped up the debri from the middle and side of the new pave the city just did to the road !
Hm, I have not noticed this. I go up there quite frequently as well. I'll definitely keep a lookout for this section next time I'm up there. The left over gravel and debris is for the most part gone now, and the grip with the freshly paved road, oh my!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:12 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
We have nice roads in Orange County but I will not publish them on the forum. If you come to one of our meets, I will show you. What type of P-car do you have?

Old 09-07-2010, 04:30 PM
WyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud of
Try this site out
www.lateralg.org Im sure you'll like what you find.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by robertp
We have nice roads in Orange County but I will not publish them on the forum. If you come to one of our meets, I will show you. What type of P-car do you have?

Good man, Finally, someone knows whats up.

Best loop I have ever done is this one
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...6,4.817505&z=8

in a 07 350Z, this is all endurance Iron man canyon.

1st part was chill speed untill I got up near lake issabella and it was WOT for this, went thru 8 full tank's of fuel for this loop. OMG BIBLICAL.

Started out 4am was back by 5pm on thanksgiving weekend.

when I was done with this route the front of the z was sand blasted, brakes were gone as well the tires.

as for any one wanting to go up lake issabella i'd suggest you start out early and meaning early like 5:30am if you want to take SR178 up, reason I say this is that it's narrow and people towing boats down hill will once in a while will have their trailer wheels over the yellow's and there is an occasional 18 wheeler going down or up and the ones going up will cant pull over in the 2 lane section so it does make it very dangerous considering about 80% of the section on the 2 lane part has fog line and then 100ft drop off the side of side of the road. so that other road I mapped out has way less traffic and less cliffs, but up at the top of 178 its a speed trap. But get a good pass in the morning on SR178 its just - so perfect............ if not your stuck behind a slow poke, so for those who want to try this section follow strict driver manners, another note is most of the areas do not have EMT/LEO's to aid if you need help that said there is no Cell service in most of those areas until you get back to the main highways.

This loop isn't for the faint of heart but those who are true enthusiast.

Last edited by Skylin818; 09-28-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:47 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
A friend of mine was stopped by a FAKE cop on Decker Cyn a short time ago. From the "cop's" questioning my buddy became suspicious, he was allowed to exit the car and then proceeded to walk behind the patrol car and noticed it did not have the CA EXEMPT plate. The cop pretended to make a call on his radio and then sped off.
Be careful out there.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by 996TWINS
A friend of mine was stopped by a FAKE cop on Decker Cyn a short time ago. From the "cop's" questioning my buddy became suspicious, he was allowed to exit the car and then proceeded to walk behind the patrol car and noticed it did not have the CA EXEMPT plate. The cop pretended to make a call on his radio and then sped off.
Be careful out there.
Unmarked cars, for the most part dont stop people since there are for the most part many of these fake cops matters,

unfortunately in a circumstance like this best not to stop and call 911 should you have someone with an unmarked car attempting to pull you over, im not in any way saying to flee and evade LEO, flip on the hazards and drive slow untill you see a black and white.

Unmarked cars with standard state plates are either personal car or a Fed gov car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is the best winding road in Southern Cal?