Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Banned
Skylin818 has a spectacular aura aboutSkylin818 has a spectacular aura about
Follow up the the MC crash on mulholland highway 08/29/10

Follow up the the MC crash on Mulholland highway 08/29/10

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=206229

this was the rider who is for the most part very lucky to be alive...............................

and the story: happened aug 29th towards the top section of "the snake" on Mulholland at around 1pm in case any of you were there. A friend and myself were taking a few laps and on our final run back up is when it happened. My friend was in the lead spot, and as we were coming out of a mellow right curve about to make a sharper left, a harley rider that was going WAY too fast, shot over the line coming at us. He first hit my friend in the front left section of his GSXR (the bike standing up in the video), sending my friend to the ground, and his bike sliding like a top across the road, the rider once hitting my friend came straight at me, and since I was already in the lean of the right turn, I knew I couldnt brake it or else I would have slid out and he or the other riders behind him would have T-boned and killed me. So I luckily dodged the guy by inches (and honestly think I may have knicked him, but I cant be sure), only to be in a direct path for my now sliding friend on the ground. So instead of using him as a guaranteed way of breaking his back and sending me over the bars, I dodged him just in the knick of time to the only clear opening between the madness... and that's when it happened... my friends bike spun straight into my path, and it became a launch ramp for both me and my bike. I hit the bike, and it bunny hopped me into the air, just high and far enough to let me land about 3 feet away from the edge of the cliff. I went off the side with just enough time to purposely aim for the tree tops. As I flew through the air all I could think about was grabbing every branch and tree limb I could see in order to slow down my descent. As I was falling, I was welcoming death, I knew I stood very little chance of survival. When I came slamming down against some rocks and came to rest, I was in shock that I was breathing and conscious. At first I thought I was paralyzed since I couldn't move my arms, but once I was able to wiggle my now shoe-less feet, things were looking better. I will say that the paramedics and civilians on scene were amazing. I was told my bike laid 150 feet from the road, and I was about 2 feet away from my bike. I was wearing gear, but not completely. Armored jacket, helmet, gloves, Shift Kevlar jeans, and street shoes was what I was wearing. I decided not to wear my full leathers simply because I went to the beach, and honestly, for this specific crash it wouldn't have made a difference. After search and rescue wrenched me up, I was airlifted to UCLA medical center where they took great care of me.

I'm lucky to be alive, Im lucky to be walking, I'm lucky to be breathing, I'm lucky to be typing. After falling 150' through trees and landing on rocks, my total injuries are: two broken bones in the left arm, dislocated and torn left shoulder, two broken shoulder blades, and a complete grade III AC separation of the right shoulder. Surgery is going to be a must for both shoulders, and its going to be a long recovery. I'm in double slings for now (luckily no casts), so I kinda resemble a T-Rex. Not being able to use my arms, plus the pain in the shoulders is pretty bad. But all in all, Im very lucky to be alive. The ironic part of this all, my friend and I were riding angeles crest a month before this happened, and he died going off the edge just like I did. It makes ya sit and think...

But anyway, thanks for reading my story, and be safe out there everyone!!!

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 09-25-2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: active link to a commercial site
Old 11-06-2010, 10:22 PM
M3ANMACHINE is infamous around these parts
Wow. That is absolutely insane!
Glad to hear everyone's okay