North Carolina Mountain Drive and Meet on Sun 3/13

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:54 AM
got_hp? has a spectacular aura aboutgot_hp? has a spectacular aura about
North Carolina Mountain Drive and Meet on Sun 3/13

just saw this over on TS, wanted to spread the word here, this looks like an amazing drive! i will definitely be there, and you should be too!

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=191989837491190

Last year some of us did a couple mountain drives and had a great time. The nice weather is back and we wanted to plan something again. The last time we did this, it was a "spirited" mountain drive. Some of us work on Saturday so we figured Sunday might work better. This is an open event so invite whoever you want (just please refrain from inviting whiners)

If you could please reply here with your name and car so we can keep an official headcount going for the drive, it would be greatly appreciated. We'll have maps printed for those who would like one. If you own a set of little two-way radios, bring them along.

For those who are local in the Charlotte Metro area – the plan is to meet early Sunday morning at Sharon Shopping Center parking lot behind Harper Restaurant in Southpark. There's also a McDonald's and gas station next door if you need to fill up or grab a quick bite prior to the drive.

We'll depart at 7:45 AM and drive about 2 hours (120 miles) on US-321 N and I-40 W towards Marion in Western NC. This will put us at the Switzerland Inn. From there we'll drive a 30 mile loop through the Pisgah National Forest on what's called the Diamondback Route. We may stop for a quick lunch and from there head back home. Plan for the round trip to be a good 6 hours plus a couple hours or so for photos and other various "stuff".

Should anyone have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to post them here or send us a message. Looking forward to the drive and meeting you all!

Where can you find more than 190 steep, climbing curves in just 12 miles? The Diamondback - North Carolina's last alternate route!

Sweeping curves, amazing scenery and cool mountain breezes make the Diamondback, NC 226A, one of WNC's last great mountain roadways.

The Diamondback, NC's 226A is loaded with switchbacks looping almost 360-degrees. Runs of S-curves climb and twist sharply as they snake through lush green forest in route to the Blue Ridge Parkway just above Spruce Pine, North Carolina.

This heavily wooded trek, from Marion in McDowell County to Switzerland Inn, on the edge of Mitchell County, NC is an exciting and challenging drive. Two-lanes of smooth, well-marked pavement are flanked by rocky outcroppings, shear drop-offs and quick, tight hairpin curves.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
This is an awesome drive!!!! I have a cabin in the area and am on that route all the time. Roads and scenery are second to none!

Have fun all who are going!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:42 PM
got_hp? has a spectacular aura aboutgot_hp? has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by NastyZO6
This is an awesome drive!!!! I have a cabin in the area and am on that route all the time. Roads and scenery are second to none!

Have fun all who are going!
thanks for the info......i just moved up here from florida, and its so nice to drive on roads that actually have curves and elevation changes, lol.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by got_hp?
thanks for the info......i just moved up here from florida, and its so nice to drive on roads that actually have curves and elevation changes, lol.
Enjoy the drive! I'm make my 800mi trek from S. FL to Blue Ridge in June to meet 90+ other Porsches. This year is marks the 13th yr for this group.