DFW to Possum Kingdom Lake cruise (May 31st)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Silentrun is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SAFE4NOW
For those that want to, I have a group that is meeting in the Wal Mart parking lot off 121 and Main Street in The Colony between 9-9:30, leaving by 9:30a.

This is an informal meeting point. There is no need to post here, you may PM me if you know you are going to make it though.

I would assume BARA will post the pace here after reading the above post, though I will offer to lead a second group if there are two different pace's "requested"..... IF thats ok with the OP.

Looking forward to this drive!

Steve
Hi Steve,

If you don't mind, I will be there as well!

Michael

Old 05-25-2009, 05:44 PM
SAFE4NOW has a spectacular aura aboutSAFE4NOW has a spectacular aura aboutSAFE4NOW has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Silentrun
Hi Steve,

If you don't mind, I will be there as well!

Michael

Sure, see you there! This is working out to be a great event!

Steve

Old 05-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
i just spent 15 minutes on a reply only to get booted off site

CLIFF NOTES: there will be a drivers meeting at 10:40 am @ Rosas and you will be armed with all the info you need to have a fan/safe run.

i have a couple of guys helping me on this so no need to split up the group no matter how many cars show up. might call on you as well Steve

Old 05-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by SAFE4NOW
recounted this morning - I have 18 cars signed up - will we have room at the cafe?

Steve
no problemo!

Originally Posted by Adam@Autoscope
Does anyone have a seat for me?

I'm not worthley.... I'm not worthley....
show up, well find you a seat

Old 05-25-2009, 06:51 PM
we have 2 brief pit stops scheduled along the way. the 1st is for photo op and bathrooms/cokes ect, and the 2nd to re-gather the group after some fun twisties.

at Rockin S, parking is reserved but seating is usually not. walk in and grab the booths lining the front windows of the resturant. 6 seat to a booth and provide a good view of the cars in the parking lot as well as the lake below.

on a previous run, they offered to seat us all in one section and it was no fun at all. they cramed us in the back with no view and very close quarters so if they ask, refuse that arrangement and sit at the front booths or the bar or other front side seating.

every car will be provided with a special vinyl decal to be placed on the rear passenger side of the car. this is a long standing tradition with the Fc
group runs and dont worry, its high grade material that goes on and off easy without any residue.

benefits include but are not limited to: : )
1. unified look to the group 2. pk police recognition, 3. 15-20 hp increase in power 4. added driver skill and confidence 5. some guys dig it enough to ask for extras.

i have white decals for dark cars and black for light cars. if you want a special color, let me know by 9pm tomorrow night. free for the asking

Last edited by Bara; 05-25-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by trentor
I highly recommend buying Midland radios.
http://www.amazon.com/MIDLAND-GXT900...3225170&sr=8-1

I've tried about 5 different sets of FRS radios and these work better than about anything outside of a pre-FCC banned radio with an external antenna. Keep in mind, nothing sold today will broadcast the number of miles they advertise. You'll be lucky to get 5 miles on completely open, flat ground with the best FRS radio.
ordered with 2 day shipping. should arrive thursday

Old 05-25-2009, 11:00 PM
trentor is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bara
ordered with 2 day shipping. should arrive thursday
good deal.

Another item I think is WELL worth buying for these types of drives is an external speaker/microphone. You can leave the FRS radio in the center console and clip the speaker/mic to your seatbelt near your shoulder and it's much, much easier to hear plus quick and easy to transmit.

Radio Shack used to have one for about $10, but I can't seem to find it on their site. This one is similar though... http://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Microp.../dp/B000K1OFZK

Old 05-26-2009, 10:27 AM
goofygrin is infamous around these parts
Steve, I'll be meeting ya'll at the Wally World!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:08 PM
DarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really nice
OK guys ... Got the detailer coming Friday morning to shine up the LP ... Got the Midland radios in ... Now I've got the wife yelling at me because of a pool party we go to on Sundays ... Are most of the driving and scenic routes finished by 1:00pm? that way we can skip lunch and head to the party??

Dario

Old 05-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by trentor
good deal.

Another item I think is WELL worth buying for these types of drives is an external speaker/microphone. You can leave the FRS radio in the center console and clip the speaker/mic to your seatbelt near your shoulder and it's much, much easier to hear plus quick and easy to transmit.

Radio Shack used to have one for about $10, but I can't seem to find it on their site. This one is similar though... http://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Microp.../dp/B000K1OFZK
well, i paid for 2 day shipping and they arrived overnight + 2 free mic/speaker sets. had to check to make sure they didnt overcharge me

high of 90* and mostly sunny for sunday as of today so looking good

Old 05-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by DarioTexas
OK guys ... Got the detailer coming Friday morning to shine up the LP ... Got the Midland radios in ... Now I've got the wife yelling at me because of a pool party we go to on Sundays ... Are most of the driving and scenic routes finished by 1:00pm? that way we can skip lunch and head to the party??

Dario
we should be arriving at the lake by 1-1:15. most of the nice roads and scenery are the 2nd half of the drive there. just skipping lunch would save you an hour. if you want to save close to 2 hours, i will tell you where to depart from the group and head back but you're going to miss out on some things.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:25 PM
with 2.5 days left and counting, the weather is looking great for this drive. according to KTXA, sunshine and 91 for a high with no chance of rain.

2-ways are charged, camera is charged, pilot cups are on, gas tank is full, and just have a couple of minor things to get ready before the meet.

talked to Rockin today and they are ready for us. i need to make one more call to them the day of the meet to give them a rough count and an ETA so they can rope of the parking lot for us.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:24 PM
trentor is infamous around these parts
Just got 2 new HTR Z III's put on, car is waxed, oil change tomorrow, radios and cameras charged. I just wish my MREV2 lower plenum and spacer would be here in time, but oh well.

I'm way overdue for a good drive. I can't wait.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:47 AM
96BeaSSt is infamous around these parts
Wish I could make it...

Old 05-29-2009, 02:36 PM
BlakeR is infamous around these parts
Looks fun, I might have to join!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DFW to Possum Kingdom Lake cruise (May 31st)