Tech / How To

Best Option for Blown Ferrari F430 Woofer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 05:59 PM
searayray is infamous around these parts
Best Option for Blown Ferrari F430 Woofer

Hey guys. I just pulled out a blown Focal K2 power 13ks sub from my Ferrari F430

I'd like to replace this with something that provides clean rich bass. How are these focals? Should I get the same sub or is there something better that I can pick up?

I see this on Amazon for under $200.

The speaker itself is totally intact. Not sure why it sounds blown. Are there any DIY repairs that you guys can recommend? Is it possible that there is too much power going to the speaker?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:03 PM
dubya is infamous around these parts
If it sounds blown, but doesn't look blown, there are definitely a few things to check for. For one, that amp could have a problem, but if you know the amp is good, and there is no visible damage, then repairing the sub won't be an option for the feint of heart / tools. I am sure that some people could repair a voice coil... Focal makes a highly regarded speaker, and you could always send it back if you didn't like it. I would recommend the same sub, unless you were willing to have work done to alter the box for another fitment.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Hey guys. I ended up ordering the same exact speaker brand new only to experience the same exact problem.

The speaker sounds like it is getting too much power and 'rattles' with really low bass.

Everything is powered by a Helix A4 but I don't know enough about sound systems to start playing with settings. Any ideas? Anyone in DC metro that can take a look?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:52 PM
dubya is infamous around these parts
Was the sound ever correct? Did you change anything (ie replace the amp, etc)? I presume this is not a stock installation. How old, if not stock, is the amp?

The helix amp isn't (from looking at the specs) extremely powerful, it is more of a 'clean power' amp, it has incredible distortion numbers.

What other speakers is it powering? If I were to guess at the wiring, it is powering the sub (multiple?) at 2 ohms, maybe even 1 ohm, which is a bit rough on an amplifier. I would recommend dropping $50 to ask a stereo shop to check the amp out... it may well be worth your time, just bring in paper towels to clean up the mess when they see your car.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Well... I just got the car two weeks ago. Sound is very clean except with really low bass. This is a custom after market installation...no idea on how old the amp is.

Not sure on the other speakers...and I don't know that I really want to mess with it. If anyone has recommendations on a good audio shop in DC metro please let me know...

I called 3 or 4 places around me and they had never heard of Focal..