What happens if you crash your car at an event?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 01:32 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by R1ckyB0bbyyy
I was curious about this. I planned to get myself into the Skip Barber school to learn the basics, and then have some fun improving my skills on a track with my next car. I then got to thinking, what if I push too hard and end up in the grass and then a wall!? What happens then? I have heard one of many things...

1. SOL
2. Individual purchase of insurance for the day?
3. Most tracks do not TIME the laps, so it should not hurt your coverage...

I wanted to know how it really worked because I have seen plenty of in car spills on Youtube... like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqfv2...eature=related
Driving schools usually provide insurance for a fee (PDE, Barber, Bondurant, etc). If you are talking a driver's education event (and not a driving school), then you should be clear that your insurance covers such events if you are concerned. As mentioned above, most companies now completely exclude accidents that take place at timed events OR ON TRACKS/FACILITIES WHERE TIMED EVENTS TAKE PLACE (or some similar language) -> meaning on a track. If that is the case, and you ball up your car, then you are SOL.

The best bet, if you are really concerned about accidents on track, is to get dedicated DE insurance. The cost is around $1000/yr (+/-) depending on your car. I think Gainsco, WSIB, and possibly Furman Motorsports have these policies now.

-td

Old 04-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Banned
tennishero is infamous around these partstennishero is infamous around these parts
I was curious about this. I planned to get myself into the Skip Barber school to learn the basics, and then have some fun improving my skills on a track with my next car. I then got to thinking, what if I push too hard and end up in the grass and then a wall!? What happens then? I have heard one of many things...

1. SOL
2. Individual purchase of insurance for the day?
3. Most tracks do not TIME the laps, so it should not hurt your coverage...

I wanted to know how it really worked because I have seen plenty of in car spills on Youtube... like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqfv2...eature=related

I crashed a Skipbarber car R/T2000, span into the grass and hit the tire wall at the dreaded tight downhill limerock park.. it cost me 6k and and stiches....
My advise 2 cent advise --- Do Not Crash!

Old 04-21-2008, 09:51 PM
R1ckyB0bbyyy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tennishero
I crashed a Skipbarber car R/T2000, span into the grass and hit the tire wall at the dreaded tight downhill limerock park.. it cost me 6k and and stiches....
My advise 2 cent advise --- Do Not Crash!

They charge you when you crash skip barber cars? WTF!

Old 04-21-2008, 10:04 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
yes they do...

Old 04-22-2008, 06:12 AM
R1ckyB0bbyyy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sechsgang
yes they do...
I would expect the school to have insurance for its own damn cars. Kind of like if you crash a car on a test drive, the dealership is insured for things like that.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:41 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I would expect the school to have insurance for its own damn cars. Kind of like if you crash a car on a test drive, the dealership is insured for things like that.
they have like 4k limited damage or something like that.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:15 PM
triple_nickel is infamous around these parts

Last time I went (years ago actually) you had to agree to pay a portion of the damage (say if you totalled the car). They also looked at how the crash happened, say if you were a jackass and didn't listen to what they said or if it was a part that just broke. (FYI, no crashes for me )

Old 04-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Banned
tennishero is infamous around these partstennishero is infamous around these parts
with a handle like RickyBobyy, you know that crashing is part of racing..Even Shumi crashes...If you don't have $$ you should not go car racing and instead break out with the Xbox..

Old 04-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by tennishero
with a handle like RickyBobyy, you know that crashing is part of racing..Even Shumi crashes...If you don't have $$ you should not go car racing and instead break out with the Xbox..

ya...racing is by far the worst financial decision one can make their entire life...therefore, I am completely screwed as I have much of my life to live...hoorah!!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Banned
ya...racing is by far the worst financial decision one can make their entire life...therefore, I am completely screwed as I have much of my life to live...hoorah!!

Good for you... let me know when you get sponsored..

Old 04-24-2008, 08:59 AM
B-moreBroker is infamous around these parts

+1...

Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 AM
lax01 is infamous around these parts

How do you make a $1 Million dollars from racing?

Start with $5 Million dollars....

Old 04-24-2008, 10:37 AM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
After you wad your car at the track, have it towed to a ditch a few miles away from the track and stuff it in there, pay the tow truck driver in cash, call your insurance company and tell them you just had an accident, they will then send a tow truck, wash your hands and hope you can sleep at night.

Just kidding

Old 04-24-2008, 11:30 AM
B-moreBroker is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RocC4S
After you wad your car at the track, have it towed to a ditch a few miles away from the track and stuff it in there, pay the tow truck driver in cash, call your insurance company and tell them you just had an accident, they will then send a tow truck, wash your hands and hope you can sleep at night.

Just kidding

Old 04-25-2008, 07:32 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
While the trend to exclude coverage for DE/AX events is growing, in my experience most insurance companies have NOT changed the standard racing exclusion to cover those events. I'm an insurance broker, so I pay close attention to these clauses in my policy. READ YOURS. The applicable exclusion under my own Safeco policy states (this is for both liability and physical damage - comp/collision):
Excluded - Loss to your covered auto or any non-owned auto, located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of:
a. competing in; or
b. practicing or preparing for;
any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest.

This is the same language used in the standard ISO Personal Auto Policy (edition 01 05). Not all companies use the standard language, so consult your policy for confirmation. Quality carriers such as Hartford, Traveler's, Safeco, Fireman's Fund, Chubb and most AIG policies will use similar language. I have not been able to find any standard endorsement that expands on this exclusion. It is possible that certain carriers or states may have manuscript or proprietary endorsements that further restrict coverage.

Therefore, I consider myself to be fully insured for both DE & AX. Here is why:
DE - the vehicle is inside a 'facility designed for racing,' but the purpose is not a contest nor is there a competition.
AX - While this is a competition, it is NOT inside a facility designed for racing (usually). A note here -- if you are doing an autocross held on a race track or maybe even on the parking lot for a race track, coverage could be questionable.

I personally feel quite comfortable expecting coverage for anything that is not a competitive DE event (especially when considered as drivers ed) and any auto-cross held on a non-race track facility parking lot. I tell my customers the same thing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What happens if you crash your car at an event?