What happens if you crash your car at an event?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:37 AM
B-moreBroker is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mathism

I personally feel quite comfortable expecting coverage for anything that is not a competitive DE event (especially when considered as drivers ed) and any auto-cross held on a non-race track facility parking lot. I tell my customers the same thing.
good info! thanks!

Old 04-26-2008, 05:21 PM
jso
jso is infamous around these parts
I was doing some research on this subject as I would like to get into this sport sometime soon and ran a couple interesting posts.

Both threads are extremely long and I am working so I havent read passed the first couple pages. I apologize if these posts serves useless.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=336026

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=337509

Old 04-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Gusagain is infamous around these parts
While the trend to exclude coverage for DE/AX events is growing, in my experience most insurance companies have NOT changed the standard racing exclusion to cover those events. I'm an insurance broker, so I pay close attention to these clauses in my policy. READ YOURS. The applicable exclusion under my own Safeco policy states (this is for both liability and physical damage - comp/collision):
Excluded - Loss to your covered auto or any non-owned auto, located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of:
a. competing in; or
b. practicing or preparing for;
any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest.

This is the same language used in the standard ISO Personal Auto Policy (edition 01 05). Not all companies use the standard language, so consult your policy for confirmation. Quality carriers such as Hartford, Traveler's, Safeco, Fireman's Fund, Chubb and most AIG policies will use similar language. I have not been able to find any standard endorsement that expands on this exclusion. It is possible that certain carriers or states may have manuscript or proprietary endorsements that further restrict coverage.

Therefore, I consider myself to be fully insured for both DE & AX. Here is why:
DE - the vehicle is inside a 'facility designed for racing,' but the purpose is not a contest nor is there a competition.
AX - While this is a competition, it is NOT inside a facility designed for racing (usually
). A note here -- if you are doing an autocross held on a race track or maybe even on the parking lot for a race track, coverage could be questionable.

I personally feel quite comfortable expecting coverage for anything that is not a competitive DE event (especially when considered as drivers ed) and any auto-cross held on a non-race track facility parking lot. I tell my customers the same thing.
Good info, thanks!
The German company I had previously said it didn't matter if the Ring is a private road and one way travel, and I did mention that timing is forbidden -- their answer was still no, after the laughing subsided.
The next time I am on the phone with my current US company I will ask them and point out your 2 excerpts from above.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:40 PM
CLS
CLS is infamous around these partsCLS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by R1ckyB0bbyyy
See the car I would plan to track would probably be my baby... unfortunately for me I think I am stuck to auto x in parking lots... road course = fun but it seems as if there is FAR too much liability for someone making payments on a car.
Basically your advice to yourself is spot on if you're making payments on a car you have no business putting it all at risk....since you can't afford the car in the first place!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:59 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
While the trend to exclude coverage for DE/AX events is growing, in my experience most insurance companies have NOT changed the standard racing exclusion to cover those events. I'm an insurance broker, so I pay close attention to these clauses in my policy. READ YOURS. The applicable exclusion under my own Safeco policy states (this is for both liability and physical damage - comp/collision):
Excluded - Loss to your covered auto or any non-owned auto, located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of:
a. competing in; or
b. practicing or preparing for;
any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest.

This is the same language used in the standard ISO Personal Auto Policy (edition 01 05). Not all companies use the standard language, so consult your policy for confirmation. Quality carriers such as Hartford, Traveler's, Safeco, Fireman's Fund, Chubb and most AIG policies will use similar language. I have not been able to find any standard endorsement that expands on this exclusion. It is possible that certain carriers or states may have manuscript or proprietary endorsements that further restrict coverage.

Therefore, I consider myself to be fully insured for both DE & AX. Here is why:
DE - the vehicle is inside a 'facility designed for racing,' but the purpose is not a contest nor is there a competition.
AX - While this is a competition, it is NOT inside a facility designed for racing (usually). A note here -- if you are doing an autocross held on a race track or maybe even on the parking lot for a race track, coverage could be questionable.

My insurance company calls any accidents that occur on a track, or public road where the speeds are well beyond the posted limits "vehicle testing" and will not cover you.

I agree that going 8/10's is the way to go.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:05 PM
dsycks is infamous around these parts
Please check your policy. Do not assume your policy is the same as someone else's even if you have the same company. CHECK YOUR POLICY LANGUAGE.

I got a surprise when I checked mine and it said that any accident on any track, permanent or temporary be it timed or not would NOT be covered.

In short DE, AutoX, tree falls on the car while parked... none of it is covered no matter what.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
Insurance

My company excludes coverage on a "closed course", they offer daily rates but they are prohibitively expensive. Just don't wad it up.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:20 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by B-moreBroker
good info! thanks!
ot, your car looks nuts now man...hope to find you at summit pt sometime...

Old 07-09-2008, 02:10 AM
Kirthasa is infamous around these parts
I agree - Check your policy. I have friends who have balled their cars both at Auto-X and at DEs and gotten insurance coverage, but in both cases, their insurance companies pushed back at first even though such events were covered. However, both drivers were given stern warnings by their insurance companies that they would not cover any future such "incidents".

Fortunately, my only off-track excursion was a car-width off track away from barriers and trees, and I'm hoping I never need to push my luck here.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Banister is infamous around these parts
Alway check your policy and realize they may not cover you. DE = driver education thats how most of us get by.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:44 PM
every day is infamous around these parts
ditto to CLS

Old 08-07-2008, 08:57 PM
'ringmeister is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RocC4S
After you wad your car at the track, have it towed to a ditch a few miles away from the track and stuff it in there, pay the tow truck driver in cash, call your insurance company and tell them you just had an accident, they will then send a tow truck, wash your hands and hope you can sleep at night.

Just kidding
it's been done....just kidding

Old 08-09-2008, 01:52 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
A friend of mine put his car into the wall during a DE few years back (driver mistake). Car sustained some body damage, but drivable. So, this friend drove the car outside the track that evening and reported it as accident - swerved to miss an animal crossing. Yes, what this person did is considered insurance fraud in most states.

Anyways, as long as you drive within you & your car's capabilities... you should do fine. And always keep in back of your mind that it's not a race... and you'll avoid something like this (turn volume up to hear commentary)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNsrcxkyBJA

Old 08-12-2008, 01:11 PM
trackjunky is infamous around these parts
A friend of mine crashed his at big willow few years back, he was able to get it covered because of the way the policy was written. That and a good lawyer. The policy been changed since.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:00 AM
'ringmeister is infamous around these parts
one thing you do not want to do at a DE when there is an incident is call 9-1-1...this actually happened at an event i was at. someone called the 9-1-1 at lime rock, the state police showed up and shut down the whole event for a good part of the day while they "investigated".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What happens if you crash your car at an event?