What happens if you crash your car at an event?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:09 PM
R1ckyB0bbyyy is infamous around these parts

I was curious about this. I planned to get myself into the Skip Barber school to learn the basics, and then have some fun improving my skills on a track with my next car. I then got to thinking, what if I push too hard and end up in the grass and then a wall!? What happens then? I have heard one of many things...

1. SOL
2. Individual purchase of insurance for the day?
3. Most tracks do not TIME the laps, so it should not hurt your coverage...

I wanted to know how it really worked because I have seen plenty of in car spills on Youtube... like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqfv2...eature=related

Old 04-15-2008, 02:38 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
at my last DE, someone crashed a rental to a wall of tires. in her case, sol i think.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
nearly all major insurance companies now exclude coverage of any track event..timed or not...you need to check your company...you can get annual track coverage but it is expensive and there is some question of how reliable that coverage is (many companies appear...take your money...and then diasappear)...don't know of any one day coverage...you might as well figure that if something happens you are on your own...don't risk what you can't afford to fix...I know it sucks!...a real problem to consider is if you screw up and cause an incident or God forbid a fatality...all the waivers in the world won't help you here...just check what happened to a 6 speed member's family when he was involved in a fatal crash at Fontana (both he and his passenger died)...the passengers family sued everyone including the driver's survivors..very sad...

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-15-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:55 PM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
you might as well figure that if something happens you are on your own...don't risk what you can't afford to fix...I know it sucks!
Very good advice - 9 times out of 10 it's on you if anything happens, and don't forget there's a handfull of other guys out there with you at the same.

The guys that get hooked at D.E.s or other racing schools end up dedicating a car to the track more times than not- Usually something they wouldn't miss nearly as much if they put it in the wall.

There is insurance available, it comes in the form of a second P-Car!

Old 04-15-2008, 04:35 PM
See the car I would plan to track would probably be my baby... unfortunately for me I think I am stuck to auto x in parking lots... road course = fun but it seems as if there is FAR too much liability for someone making payments on a car.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
well Rickybob...we are just trying to get you to look at it from the right perspective, not scare you off...sure autox has less potential risk, although I have seen serious accidents there as well...you should keep in mind that you have significant liability just driving your baby down the street (where your insurance is in effect)...find yourself a good organization like poc, pca, hooked on driving...etc...get some good instruction (usually free) and keep it under 8-10ths and you can have a great time and enjoy your car in an environment it was built for...have fun whatever you decide...

Old 04-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
well Rickybob...we are just trying to get you to look at it from the right perspective, not scare you off...sure autox has less potential risk, although I have seen serious accidents there as well...you should keep in mind that you have significant liability just driving your baby down the street (where your insurance is in effect)...find yourself a good organization like poc, pca, hooked on driving...etc...get some good instruction (usually free) and keep it under 8-10ths and you can have a great time and enjoy your car in an environment it was built for...have fun whatever you decide...

It's hard when you don't have disposable cash... I was looking at EVO's...s2000's... to use as a DD and to play with but they are far too expensive, repairs are far too expensive to screw with. I am a pretty good driver but not that good. Auto X seems semi boring to me too, too small... short. Never get up to speed or out of 1st or 2nd some times. I'd still do it but, it isn't the same as a road course I don't think

Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 PM
lax01 is infamous around these parts
Drive well within your limits and be alert on track and you won't have any problems...

You are not Michael Schumacher, act accordingly...

Old 04-15-2008, 09:15 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Going to say it, Miata. Cheapest way to get on the track and have fun, can be made safe and dead reliable, plus you can total it and walk away pretty much with nothing out of pocket if you feel like parting it out.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:22 PM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of

You wish you could turn back the clock and hadn't gone to that event in the first place!

'' Auto X seems semi boring to me too, too small... short.''

I agree...I didn't buy my car to drive it around a f*&ki#g parking lot!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:25 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
generally SOL...

like others mentioned, check with your company but shy away from the word tracking. ONLY use the term driver's education on a closed course. See what they are willing to do from there...otherwise, there is real track ins...but it aint cheap...

Old 04-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by sechsgang
generally SOL...

like others mentioned, check with your company but shy away from the word tracking. ONLY use the term driver's education on a closed course. See what they are willing to do from there...otherwise, there is real track ins...but it aint cheap...
My car insurance isn't cheap... once I hit the 25 mark I should be ok but now... it isn't cheap at all let alone TRACK insurance, YIKES!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:46 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by R1ckyB0bbyyy
My car insurance isn't cheap... once I hit the 25 mark I should be ok but now... it isn't cheap at all let alone TRACK insurance, YIKES!
ya, painful huh...

haha

Old 04-16-2008, 07:50 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sechsgang
..otherwise, there is real track ins...but it aint cheap...
Is that why you havent emailed me about it yet???????

Old 04-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Because I dont know the car situation yet...haha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What happens if you crash your car at an event?