Anyone tracking their new 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Looney2N is infamous around these parts
Anyone tracking their new 997?

Anyone esle taking their new car to the track??

Old 07-22-2008, 01:02 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
All I can think about is how to kill time between track dates

Old 07-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by raiyu
All I can think about is how to kill time between track dates
Good hear that....................I am fairly new to the track (DE) arena, but looks like I am progressing quickly.

Biggest concern I have is running at tracks with lots of walls.

Wow, running TT must be a gas............I would guess you have a track setup for wheels and tires. May I ask, "What is your track setup tires?"

Have narrowed mine down to Nitto No1 or Yoko Advan on 18" wheels.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:25 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Im running Toyo R888s, with the OEM sizing. That got rid of the tire squeal that I was hearing in just about every corner. But the more grip you add, the quicker the transition from having control to the tail end coming free.

And with the R888s the car is pretty unsafe in hard rain. Any puddle can make the car aquaplane because there is hardly any tread and the rear tires are so wide. Always a trade off.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:45 AM
Mike R. is infamous around these parts
I've been tracking my '06 997s with street tires (PS2s), but just purchased a set of track wheels and Toyo R888s.
Raiyu - are you driving to and from the track with your R888s?

Old 07-26-2008, 10:17 AM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
R888 or MPSC in 235/295 are the first thing you should have on order. I'd also buy a F/R Performance Friction 01 Pads. Fantastic at reducing fade and very good track pad.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:12 AM
Originally Posted by mdrums
I track mine all the time. After you get a good 6-8 track days under your belt and you think you will continue with the hobby you can look into a seperate set of track wheels/tires and brake pads.

I use a set of CCW wheels and Toyo R88 tires and Pagid RS29 Yellow's.

wheels:
9x18 front
12x18 rear

tires:
255-35-18 front
315-30-18 rear

I was useing 245-40-18 fronts and 305-35-18 rears

I used a set of Perf. Friction PF97's, the 01's will eat the rotors faster but the 97's do work well but they transfer a lot of heat to the caliper and they bite quicker than the Pagid Yellows so they are not as easy to modulate as the Pagids.
Ooooppppps.........................couldn't wait the 6 to 8 days and ended up with Nitto N01........235/40 and 305/35. Got my eye some track pads.
VIR, here I come......

Old 07-27-2008, 11:52 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Looney2N
Ooooppppps.........................couldn't wait the 6 to 8 days and ended up with Nitto N01........235/40 and 305/35. Got my eye some track pads.
VIR, here I come......
Nitto NT01's are good, lots of guys use them also at the track. Why didn't you go with the 245-40 fronts instead of the narrower 235's?

If this is your 1st track event DO NOT worry your self with tires and pads. Instead just review the safety flags, study the track map and in car video on youtube. Get a good night rest, eat right, drink lots of water, gatoraid and most of all go to the event with a clear mind, no ego, no exceptations and willing to learn....most of all meet people and have fun!

Enjoy!

Old 08-09-2008, 02:23 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by raiyu
Im running Toyo R888s, with the OEM sizing. That got rid of the tire squeal that I was hearing in just about every corner. But the more grip you add, the quicker the transition from having control to the tail end coming free.

So true... tires squeals are telltale signs your tires are approaching their adhesion limits - when you hear them, you have more time react accordingly. By the time your racing tires squeal.... you've better be ready and bring that car back in control. For DEs, I'd rather be able to drive that car home at the end of the day, then try to gain a few seconds on the track with slicks - IMO.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:09 AM
Turns out they are 245 fronts, but I could not find a 315 in Nitto for the rear.

The 305 stick out of the well just slightly, but on a test run they were fine.

I did get them to squeal just slightly and that is what I wanted to do prior to hitting the track with them...............did I say they stick??

Yes, so far they seem to be great. Much better on the turn-in. I think the PS2s may cause a little under-steer on the 997.

Thanks for your help and comments..........tips well taken.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Chris@PerformanceOutfitters is infamous around these parts
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...y-tracked.html

I found it interesting how many GT3's are making it to the track which IMO is a good thing

Old 08-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Mike R.
I've been tracking my '06 997s with street tires (PS2s), but just purchased a set of track wheels and Toyo R888s.
To and from the track and as a DD, I just replaced my rears today. I got about 5500 miles out of them and 6 track days. My wear was very even, but I'm running -2.5 degrees of camber in the rear and the very inside got worn out. If I was running less camber I would easily get more out of them as the rest of my tread was pretty good. Probably 1-2 more track days.

Fronts still look very good though. I try not to force the car through turns, so I dont end up with over/understeer which probably helps to protect the wear. That and I also monitor the tire pressure very carefully, low 40's hot on the track. Although now Im going to be running higher PSIs when Im on the road to get some more treadwear on the center instead of getting only tread wear on the inside.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Mike R.
Didnt we do tracktime4cars last week together at the Pocono double infield?

Old 08-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
Stay with street tires for your first season. Lots safer for you and those around you. You want a tire that gives lots of warning before it lets go. It will also teach you to be smooth. A sticky tire will cover lots of mistakes, it's the ones that they won't cover that will get you. You won't go as fast, and you won't be as likely to go CODE BROWN. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:17 AM
westwest888 is infamous around these parts
+1 on the PF01 pads. I'm running them and I'm very pleased. It took me one trip to Road Atlanta to completely scorch my OEM rotors and crack my pads in half. I replaced them with Frozen Rotors. I'm running these pads on the street also because I'm at the track about every 3 weeks until the season ends. I'll revert to a street pad in October.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone tracking their new 997?