Racing Simulators

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:57 PM
F.J.B. is infamous around these parts
Racing Simulators

Anyone using any Simulators to keep busy during the off season??

Looking into Iracer.com. Looks interesting and has all the tracks I am looking to run.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-02-2009, 03:06 PM
DesmoRR has much to be proud ofDesmoRR has much to be proud ofDesmoRR has much to be proud ofDesmoRR has much to be proud ofDesmoRR has much to be proud ofDesmoRR has much to be proud ofDesmoRR has much to be proud ofDesmoRR has much to be proud ofDesmoRR has much to be proud of
I race in the Indycar Series and have used some of these things in the past and the best simulator that I have come across is the CXC Simulations one. Its a full motion simulator that is absolutely awesome. It has tons of tracks, just depends on what your looking for and the amount you want to spend if any!

Old 01-03-2009, 12:38 AM
CL65Captain is infamous around these parts
http://www.cxcsimulations.com/

Base price - The base model costs $25,995.00.

THAT'S ALOT OF ACTUAL SEAT TIME $$$.

For the PC... Live for Speed is the best online game I have used. Probably going to try iRacing tomorrow. However, not a big fan of the pay subscription BS. So if it's not FABULOUS I am going back down to the HT with the 120" HD screen and the PS3 GT5 Prologue. Which is payed for and pretty good sim (but with tracks I will never get to drive).

Last edited by CL65Captain; 01-03-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Montinola is infamous around these parts
i run iracing.com and use it for training.. its a great simulator and perfect for learning new tracks. plus its got most of the cars i race (raced) as well. i highly recommend iracing

Old 01-07-2009, 05:57 AM
StackTrack is infamous around these parts
I'm also on iRacing ... as a sim, I think it's the best out there in terms of physics and quality competition (it's only online competition, there's no AI or anything.) It's its own sanctioning body, which makes it unique in the world of sim racing I think.

Yeah, the vehicles are limited, but there's a good reason for that... all the content is laser scanned and tested for realism and accuracy. Cars and tracks... and that takes time and money. When you're driving the Skip Barber formula car, your driving THE SB Formula car... not just some facsimile that a programmer created based on another set of vehicle physics rules (that someone else created from who knows where.) Things are looking up for us road course guys though... the GT1 C6-R is in the works, as is the Riley Chassis Daytona Prototype and a '79 F1 car.

But the biggest plus for iRacing are the tracks ... second to none in terms of accuracy and feel. No other sim has even come close to getting VIR right ... but this one has (as close as you can w/o g-forces anyway.)

I think the last numbers were something like 62 tracks with over 150 different configurations (including ovals.) Yes... it is expensive... but if you've got the time to spend on it, or if you're unsatisfied with what you get in the open-source sims, it can certainly be worth it.

I should mention that the tracks are coming along nicely as well ... it's already got VIR, Watkins Glen, Barber, Road America, Summit Point, Lime Rock (original), Sebring, Laguna ... among other rovals ... and with a partnership with the Panoz group, Road Atlanta and Mosport will be coming along this year (hopefully.)

Just to a YouTube or Vimeo search for iRacing and any of the above tracks to see what the fuss is about

Last edited by StackTrack; 01-07-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:54 AM
twist-a-grip is infamous around these partstwist-a-grip is infamous around these parts
anything new out there

Looking to throw one of these in my game room and want the best out there. Anything new that sets itself above the competion? Checked out the CXC noted above and VirtualGT, but not finding much more than that.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:51 PM
detuned is infamous around these parts
iRacing is awesome, since you pay, and you are penalized for wreckless driving, or any contact, it keeps the riff raff to a minimum. Stay away from Blue tiger simulators, they are not worth the money at all...