do numbers ruin paint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:05 PM
windbar is infamous around these parts
do numbers ruin paint?

I just got my new ride and am going to track (lightly) and autocross for the first time...I need to get numbers for my car but am concerned about ruining my paint. The guy who assigns the numbers said:

"Your local instant sign shop can make magnetic, vinyl
adhesive and static cling numbers. Magnetic and static numbers
are very convenient but both types can blow off at high speed.
Magnetic numbers can trap dust and lint underneath which can
cause scratches, so they should be taped to prevent
movement and blowing off."

It sounds like hes reccomending the vinyl, but I just want to make sure I dont wreck the paint. I asked him what he uses and he said he doesnt take them off, so he doesnt know.

If I f*** up my first cool car, Im gonna be very....upset.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
I use static cling from Europdr Graphics...just wet the surface place on the number and use a towel to press the water out...if you do it right stays stuck up to 150mph and doesn't harm the paint and no tape needed (just make sure the front edge is smooth)...I spray a detail polish on the surface before and after...

Old 03-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
45otto is infamous around these parts
Only if you apply them with a ice pick....

Old 03-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
true...what do I know...I have only been using them for 4 years and about 20 track events per year and never had one come off...however, I don't use one on the hood, just the doors...I'm speaking from experience Otto, are you?
Another cavieat...I'm in California and most track days are 70 deg or better...only ran in the wet twice and the numbers stayed on...btw...not all statics are created equal some do need icepicks

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-30-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
Vinyl vs. magnetic

I had a vinyl stripe on the TT for three years and it didn't mark the car - when I took it off, you couldn't tell it had been on.

I used magnetic numbers for DE and HPDE and never had them leave a mark - just make sure you clean them and the car surface before applying.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:02 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
i use both magnets and vinyl and i haven't had an issue with either. like the guys posted above, just make sure the surface is clean before applying. =)

Old 03-31-2009, 06:34 AM
windbar is infamous around these parts
thanks everyone

Im going to use the recommendation by VSE and order my numbers.

Funny thing about my number assignment...the number I wanted (#60), which has been my athletic number (football, baseball, etc.), was taken so I chose #666.

The gentleman in charge of the assignments was shocked that I wanted something with a Satanic connotation. I found it unusual that someone would press me that it was a bad choice, since he doesnt have to have it on his car. I informed him that Im a long time heavy metal musician/fan and that it was more of a joke/cliche a la Tenacious D.

I dont think he got it...

\m/ \m/ METAL!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:45 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Or you could just use your windows

Mine are going to hit their one year anniversary in about 2 months, been through track, snow, rain, and hail (yes not joking).

Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Administrator
you can use windows if the groups you are running with will allow numbers that small...the racing club that I run with most of the time requires 10" numbers and those won't fit on a window

Old 04-01-2009, 10:13 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
I used vinyl for my first track day last year. It was raining when I put them on at the track. I did not do a good job getting all the moisture out after applying. In the afternoon, the sun came out and it got pretty warm. I took them off before the drive home and noticed water spots on the hood. I figured it wasn't anything serious and would wash away.

I went to work on it when I got home, but it would NOT come off. I used clay, then hand polish, then an orbital - nothing helped. These spots were bonded into the paint! After some research, I found that this happens when the water is trapped under the vinyl in the heat. The moisture bonds into the paint. The fix was to scrub with a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and then use a hair dryer or leave it out in the sun to speed the evaporation. It took a while, but did come out and is fine now.

So, just be sure you get all the moisture out from under the vinyl BEFORE the sun does the work for you.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
A good detail spray first then magnetic for me. No issues.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:50 PM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
never had a problem with my magnetic #s...

Old 04-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
id be more concerned w/the pebbles (autox) and shards of rubber (track) that could ding up your front bumper.

just clear bra the front bumper, fenders, and bonnet and the rear humps and you should be good to go.

also, you can just clean the area you plan on applying the magnetic numbers to before you put them on.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:02 PM
spicytuna is infamous around these parts
I have magnetic numbers but I use racers tape on the leading edge of the number to make sure the number doesn't fly off.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:01 PM
zevyvoom is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by spicytuna
I have magnetic numbers but I use racers tape on the leading edge of the number to make sure the number doesn't fly off.

What is "racer's tape"?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: do numbers ruin paint?