Track insurance?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:21 PM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
Track insurance?

I'm curious to know what are ppl here doing for track insurance for street cars? I'm going to some DE events with the PCA and I'm going to guess that my usual insurance doesn't cover my car on the track.

Do you get a rider? Or separate insurance?

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:14 AM
sms
sms is infamous around these parts
This is an age-old question that has been discussed on many forums. IMO, the bottom line to be safe is to get a separate policy. It takes the question out of the equation. Although it is not inexpensive, there are several companies that offer DE only insurance, i.e. not "competitive or timed events." But then you have to think "how much is my car worth?"

Prosure and WSIB are a couple off the top of my head (no affiliation, and no, I am not even close to being in the insurance business)

Old 05-08-2009, 02:37 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
I am in the ins biz and would tell you to read your current auto policy before buying extra coverage. I actually wrote a longer explanation of what to look for under another thread. Do a search and you should find it. I don't recall if it was under this thread or the insurance thread.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:58 PM
sms
sms is infamous around these parts
if you are saying your company covers DE events, you will be very popular.................

Old 05-11-2009, 08:02 AM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
I just got a call back from the nice guy at WSIB. He said that the minumum premium for a club-sanctioned DE event is $1,000 and the minimum deductible is $2,500.

That's pretty steep.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:16 PM
*Monk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mathism
I am in the ins biz and would tell you to read your current auto policy before buying extra coverage. I actually wrote a longer explanation of what to look for under another thread. Do a search and you should find it. I don't recall if it was under this thread or the insurance thread.
Link?

Originally Posted by CMOS
I just got a call back from the nice guy at WSIB. He said that the minumum premium for a club-sanctioned DE event is $1,000 and the minimum deductible is $2,500.

That's pretty steep.
Wow.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:50 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Here is what I wrote back in April 2008....

While the trend to exclude coverage for DE/AX events is growing, in my experience most insurance companies have NOT changed the standard racing exclusion to cover those events. I'm an insurance broker, so I pay close attention to these clauses in my policy. READ YOURS. The applicable exclusion under my own Safeco policy states (this is for both liability and physical damage - comp/collision):
Excluded - Loss to your covered auto or any non-owned auto, located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of:
a. competing in; or
b. practicing or preparing for;
any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest.

This is the same language used in the standard ISO Personal Auto Policy (edition 01 05). Not all companies use the standard language, so consult your policy for confirmation. Quality carriers such as Hartford, Traveler's, Safeco, Fireman's Fund, Chubb and most AIG policies will use similar language. I have not been able to find any standard endorsement that expands on this exclusion. It is possible that certain carriers or states may have manuscript or proprietary endorsements that further restrict coverage.

Therefore, I consider myself to be fully insured for both DE & AX. Here is why:
DE - the vehicle is inside a 'facility designed for racing,' but the purpose is not a contest nor is there a competition.
AX - While this is a competition, it is NOT inside a facility designed for racing (usually). A note here -- if you are doing an autocross held on a race track or maybe even on the parking lot for a race track, coverage could be questionable.

I personally feel quite comfortable expecting coverage for anything that is not a competitive DE event (especially when considered as drivers ed) and any auto-cross held on a non-race track facility parking lot. I tell my customers the same thing.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:01 PM
As a follow up...
Strike AIG from the list of quality carriers.
There is a new personal auto policy form - PP 90 01 -- The racing exclusion in this version has a small difference that MAY exclude coverage for auto-x.
4. Any vehicle for the purpose of:
a. Competing in; or
b. Practicing or preparing for;
any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest.
-- Note that it no longer requires the vehicle to be inside a facility designed for racing.

Again, consult your own personal auto policy. In my experience, most are still using the standard form that I believe will cover a non-competitive DE and parking lot auto-x.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Banned
Feffman is infamous around these parts
We (www.MVPTrackTime.com) insure our Radical SR3 with WSIB Insurance (www.WSIBInsurance.com/de). It's really for a whole season, as opposed to one event.

Feff

Old 05-14-2009, 01:19 AM
Banned
maxjlone is infamous around these parts
Track day insurance is something you need to consider taking out if you are planning on taking your car on a track day.
Most standard car insurance policy's will NOT cover you for track days and it is worth checking if taking your car on track days invalidates your insurance policy.
There are however insurance companies who will insure your vehicle on track days and you can expect to pay around Ł100 (obviously it does change depending on the value of the car, you will also likely have a high excess in case of accidents so you could maybe expect the excess to be Ł1000-Ł1500, again this depends on the value of the car.
This may sound high but remember accidents on track days are pretty rare and you are not there to crash, you want to be able to take your car off the track in one piece.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:43 AM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
BE CAREFUL when you explore this with your insurance agent. First, although some policies cover DE events, many are excluding them or in the process of changing it to exclude these types of events. If you inquire, they will ask the underwriter which in turn may automatically put you in a position where they will make an exclusion in your policy. Careful out there... in most cases, we just don't know what insurance will or will not cover.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:47 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Talk to Brett Ross or Chris Maume of Everitt Boles Motorsport Insurance USA. They are good at these things and very serious, DE, Racing, they even do Drift car insurance these days (yes). Make sure to tell them you got referred by Formula Drift Pro driver Carl Rydquist for the best qoute.

It is really not a lot to pay for some really great coverage, adds a lot of enjoyment to any track day to know your car is covered.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:05 PM
JMon is infamous around these parts
I use Lockton Affinity
http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx
You can buy single event coverage from them.

I did some research on this, and from what I can gather, the intent of the insurance companies is to exclude this sort of event. May people feel they can operate in the gray area. Older policies tend to be better. Also it depends on the state the policy is written in.
From what I gather, you “might” get 1 claim in on your normal policy, and be dropped at that point.
I just feel better having a policy that explicitly covers the event.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:36 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JMon
I use Lockton Affinity
http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx
You can buy single event coverage from them.

I did some research on this, and from what I can gather, the intent of the insurance companies is to exclude this sort of event. May people feel they can operate in the gray area. Older policies tend to be better. Also it depends on the state the policy is written in.
From what I gather, you “might” get 1 claim in on your normal policy, and be dropped at that point.
I just feel better having a policy that explicitly covers the event.
That's why you should also go directly to a company that knows what you're about to do with the car. No interference with your regular policy, just a track "add-on" for the events you want to use, never shows up on your regular street policy if you had a track incident.

There are just too many positives about having a track insurance and the prices are too reasonable to even think about messing around paragraphs that in the end will mean nothing, unless you have the greatest lawyers on your side) or worrying about if your street policy REALLY covers what you're doing.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 AM
auto-xr is infamous around these parts
PCA announced a new Track Insurance program.

"In June 2009, Porsche Car Club of America and the HPDE Insurance Program announced
a program delivering affordable insurance to the many PCA enthusiasts involved in
performance driving events. The HPDE Insurance Program provides an a la carte,
single-event policy designed to provide affordable first-party physical damage coverage
to vehicles used in PCA high-performance driving schools at race tracks across the United
States. And you can get it FAST - our easy online system lets you get a premium indication
instantly and you can even purchase your insurance policy electronically.
Insurance Program Administered by Lockton Risk Services"

"FREE PREMIUM INDICATION at
www.HPDEIns.locktonaffinity.com
or CALL TOLL-FREE 1.866.582.4957"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Track insurance?