What steps go on track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:30 PM
paulsoo217 is infamous around these parts
What steps go on track?

Just acquired my 996, gotta go on track. Can someone give me some pointers on how to get started? I live in S.F. Bay Area, there are Infineon, Laguna, Willow Springs...can't pass them up!
Do I go to SCCA and register? The tracks' sites don't tell you much.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
the best way for a track newbie to get their feet wet would be on a big open safe track like Thunder Hill...there is also a very good novice to advanced program there run by David Ray and Hooked on Driving...safe track to learn on (no close walls like Infineon or Laguna Seca and good instruction available...check HOD's website and sign up..they usually have events nearly every week...good luck

Old 08-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks Chuck! So I went on HOD's website, looks like I can just sign up for an event and go. Is it really that simple besides both my car and myself is in good health? Don't I need a license or something?

Old 08-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
you need a driver's license...you will be starting in a novice class and will have an instructor in the car at all times...you will need at least a Snell 2000 helmet (you probably can rent one at the track...if you have to buy one get a Snell 2005) and cotton clothing with soft soled shoes (sneakers or driving shoes)...you will be responsible to self tech your car so if you don't know how have someone who does check it for you...mainly you want to look at tires, brakes and suspension components (sway bar links if your car has them)...be sure there are no leaks and all fluids are clear and full up...show up early at the track and remove all loose items from the interior and put assigned numbers on the car...this will permit you to have a track experience while being supervised and not spending a lot of money on your car until you know whether you like it or not...if you like it..then the slippery slope to safety components (roll bar/seats/harnesses) suspension/tires/race wheels...etc will begin...HOD's website should detail all of this info...look around the site for rules/requirements of participants...everyone else running in your group will be novices as well and there will be no passing except in designated zones with a point by...enjoy

Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 AM
driver8 is infamous around these parts
Join PCA and get involved in their DE program. It is a great place to start learning.

Join http://pca.org/AboutPCA/JoinPCA.aspx

About their DE program http://pca.org/Activities/DriverEducation.aspx

Tips for the track http://pca.org/Activities/DriverEduc...ationTips.aspx

PCA Sample Rules http://pca.org/Activities/DriverEduc...mpleRules.aspx

They even offer club racing http://pca.org/ClubRacing/ClubRacing.aspx

Old 08-19-2009, 02:22 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Try Speed Ventures (google it, then talk to Aaron) and Trackmasters. The latter do more Norcal stuff although SV go there once in a while too.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks guys, I'll look into them.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:06 PM
So I just signed up on a Hooked on Driving event. I signed up for beginner just to be on the safe side. Now, it requires tires to have 50% tread or more. As 911 owners, we all know the inside of the rears tend to wear out a lot faster than anywhere else on the tire; do they measure all areas or it's okay if just the inside is under spec?

Old 10-04-2009, 08:41 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
To be 100% sure give them a ring and explain.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:23 PM
beauramsey is infamous around these parts
I was in your exact position 2 years ago with the same car. I've been doing Trackmasters and NASA. Both great programs with great instructors.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by MrWhite
To be 100% sure give them a ring and explain.
Thanks but I had new tires put on, it's good investment anyway.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by TwoSeatsorLess
Make sure to check out Thunderhill, they have a lot of track days avail and is pretty close to the Bay. Have fun
That is where I'm going in a coupe of weeks. I'll return with a report

Old 11-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Just returned from Thunderhill, what fun my friends and I had!!! The Hooked on Driving program is very organized, great instructors, and lots of fun.
I'm totally in love with my 996 after the track day, it's just built for track. So glad I bought the right car and took it to where it belongs. Thanks guys, I'll be back on track soon!

Old 12-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Panici is infamous around these parts
Any tips on how to start out at the track for a motorcycle? I have a 2005 R6 that I want to track next summer.