Is there a 911 track FAQ here?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 AM
mxt_77 is infamous around these parts
Is there a 911 track FAQ here?

I picked up a 2008 C2S last summer and I'm hoping to get it on track for some HPDEs this year. I'm just wondering if there is a "Before you track your 911" thread here somewhere.

Some things I'm interested in:
1) Recommended pre-track maintenance items.
Examples:
- oil & trans fluid changes?
- Brake fluid: What's a good brand that will stand up to track usage (how does the OEM fluid hold up)?
- alignment: what are recommended settings for a car that's 10% HPDE and 90% street-driven?

2) Recommended pre-track modifications.
Examples:
- brake pads? How do the OEM pads hold up to track usage?
- GT3 LCAs? Since I'm only getting about -1.0* camber up front, I'm guessing these will be necessary to get the required camber for reasonable track performance and tire wear.
- wheel/tire combos? I've heard some people recommend 18" wheels & some decent Z-rated tires (as opposed to 19" R-compounds) for non-competitive tracking because they're less expensive to wear through.
- what about a good camera mount for recording sessions?

3) Recommendations for things to NOT do.
Example:
- Don't waste money on a super-loud exhaust if the track you'll be driving has noise-level restrictions.

4) On-track tips.
Example:
- I only have the factory spoiler, no additional aero. Do most people manually keep the spoiler in the up position, to keep it from going up & down 5 times per lap?

Etc, etc...

Last edited by mxt_77; 01-02-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:10 PM
vpmick is infamous around these partsvpmick is infamous around these parts
This is what I would do for my first few DE events:

1. Make sure you have fresh oil/filter...if your near the time to change it do so.
2. Have brake fluid changed to a high performance brand. I use Motol 600/650.
3. Make sure you have plenty of brake pad left ( 50+% for your first event ). You will eat up pads and rotors! If you get into this, consider upgrading to something like Padgid RS 29 pads and Girodisc slotted rotors. Also, make sure your rotors are in good shape. Make sure there are no large cracks if you have drilled rotors. There is plenty on when to change ( do a search ) and if they are close change them.
4. Make sure your tires are in good shape. Again, you will be pushing them harder than "aggressive" street driving and they are a high failure point if not in good shape. Don't worry about 18" vs. 19" or special wheels at this point. Don't even think about R compound until you are much more experienced as you will need the feedback you will get from your street tires.
5. Have your mechanic go over your car extra close. You will probably need a tech inspection so just tell him you want a close look at suspension, coolant, brake lines, etc.
6. Make sure all the "junk" is out of your car. Nothing loose to fly around.

Other than that, go out and have fun. Listen to your instructor and be patient. Your car is plenty ready for DE track duty stock so don't put the cart before the horse. Your skill will be MUCH less than your car's potential for a while. I would highly recommend you not spend a ton of money on performance enhancement at first...spend it on my track events and more instruction/seat time. Final thought would be around safety...tires, brakes, fluids, and driving within your limits will be most important. This is an addictive sport and if you get the "bug" there will be plenty of time to see what your car needs ( probably will find out suspension will be first on your list.

Thx.

Mick

Old 01-02-2012, 06:12 PM
vpmick is infamous around these partsvpmick is infamous around these parts
BTW....that's MORE track events not "my" track events!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:04 PM
tgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the rough
I started tracking my 996TT Cab last year and had the same kinds of questions. I am 90% street / 10% track, driving 1-2 track events per month, and want to keep the car street-friendly.

Here are some things I learned, and am still learning, as a rookie, for what it's worth:
1. The car stock is much better than I am
2. The car stock is much better than I will be for a while.
3. Safety first. I focused on listening to my instructor, learning the car and the line, and be predictable (and courteous) to fellow drivers. The best advice so far, "Be smooth and drive the line. Speed will come later. It's not a race."
4. I've driven HPDE's with NASA and PCA to ensure I get a good cross-look at various driving bodies. Also looking at HOD and a few others.
5. If you're not a Porsche-certified mechanic or know a lot about your car, find a good shop that is. I found a great Porsche shop in my town where I go to for oil changes, etc, and general good advice about what to do with the car. I also have them tech the car before every event to ensure nothing has changed since the previous event. Expert eyes pick up things I don't even know to look for.
6. Have fun and enjoy the day. Where else can you get such a fantastic driving experience? Talk with your fellow trackmates - what a great bunch of folks!

With all that in mind, I have started doing a few minor mods to the car:
1. Tires. I bought a set of used 18" wheels/tires (R888's) for track use, mainly because I was getting tired of chewing up my street tires (PS2's) and beating up my street wheels. Watch your pressures. Mine typically gain 6-8 psi (10 psi on hot days) in a 20 minute track session. Get a good tire pressue gauge that you can use to bleed pressure off after each session. Re-torque lugs (96 ft-lbs) between sessions also.
2. Brakes. I replaced the stock brake fluid with ATE Super Blue to avoid boiling and provide better braking experience. Plenty of other good DE level fluids out there also, as previous post said. Stock pads are good enough for now, but keep a close eye on them. Bleed the brakes before each track day.
3. Interior. As I got a bit more experienced, I noticed I was being pushed all around the inside of the car using stock seatbelts. I was bracing with my legs and arms and worse, the steering wheel. Not good. I tried a few tricks with the stock 3 pt belts - locking it in, etc - but still could not lock down my core. Just picked up a used set of GT3 Euro seats, harness bar, and 6 point harnesses to stabilize my core so my feet and hands (and brain) can concentrate on maneuvering the car. I've heard CG Locks help, but have never tried them. Installing all this this weekend and can't wait to get it on the track in February.
4. Spoiler. I have the stock turbo spoiler and put it up before each session. Keeps it from going up and down all the time, changing the car slightly and annoying the guy behind you.
5. Video Recorder. I chose to not worry with this in my first season mainly because I wanted to focus on driving and not messing with nor worrying about the recorder. For season 2, I got a Go Pro Hero 2 for Christmas and will be installing that on my harness bar. It came with a suction cup for mounting anywhere on the car also, but I think the bar will be a better spot for it.

Anyhoo - these are just some things I picked up in my first season. Have fun, be safe, and let's hear how your driving goes.

- Tim

Old 03-07-2012, 03:32 AM
jchan428 has a spectacular aura aboutjchan428 has a spectacular aura about
is there one for a 986?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:03 AM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
Join the PCA and local chapter of the Porsche club. They have plenty of info on how to prep both you and your car for DE events. You might do some DS driving skills event through your local chapter before a DE event to get a better feeling of your car in a lower speed setting with skidpad, accident avoidance, autocross and slalom exercises. I just had my car inspected for year two of participating in DE events. First event April

Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
yeah..joining the PCA is a great idea and get involved. So many events and great people. On many PCA region websites you will find detailed articles on track days and whats needed. (to go along with some excellent advice in this thread)