Breathing With Helmet On

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:40 AM
911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Manifold
Go at your own pace. Some people do one track day a year, others do 50 a year. But keep in mind that you have to go reasonably often if you want to get better. I'm aiming for 20 to 30 track days this year, and I try to apply the correct track techniques (lines, harder/trail braking, vision, heel/toe, etc.) even when driving at the slower speeds of public roads.
I agree, the more you do it, the better you are. Sounds like you will be having a TERRIFIC time

Old 07-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Island Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of light
You need to try and relax and breath normally. It will be easier when you are inthe car. Do not get in the habit of holding your breath when you get excited. You need to breath. All helmets are different so get one that fits well and you like. For snomobiling i wear a modualr full face that comes with face mask like an F-16 fighter. It goes over you nose and mouth and vvents and pulls cool air from outside the helment. I lot of people can;t wear them because they freak out. I sometimes have to pull the mask if working hard in tight area in heavy snow. Seams like you are not getting enough air even though you are getting plenty. It never fogs up or gets clogged with show. I call it the dork because it is big and bulky and not cool like a moto cross helment. I neve have visibility issues when the weather gets ugly and other are dealing with fogged and frozen goggles.
Work on your breathing and relaxing while wearing the helment. It is just one more thing to get use too. When racing snowmobiles and cars controlling your breathing rate can be very helpfull. You are much calmer and can react quicker in tricky situations. If your brain thinks it is not getting enough air (real or imagined) it is going to affect your concentration, driving ability and car control. Try walking around and doing every day chores wearing your helmet. Mowing the grass is a good one. You get use to breathing hard wearign a helment and dealing with it.
After a while your brain is use to it and it is no big deal. this from a guy who has about 10 different helments depending on the activity, weather,
sun etc. Current favorite car racing helmet is a Simpson Super Bandit in Flat Black. PS. After wearing my sledding helmet all winter the car helment is like not wearing a helmet at all. Without the breathing mask it feels so unrestricted. The sled helment is heavy too and you feel it. You really need to try on some different helments and head shape is and issue too. Do you have a wedge head or a mellon head, lol. It make a difference on fit.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:59 AM
911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of
^^^ I agree with your comments and logic. I am terribly claustrophobic, especially my face. And, I think it is more about 'mind over matter' so will be having a friend help me pick one out.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:28 PM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
Helmet breathing diffculty

Originally Posted by Karen England
^^^ I agree with your comments and logic. I am terribly claustrophobic, especially my face. And, I think it is more about 'mind over matter' so will be having a friend help me pick one out.
Claustrophobia can be an issue. Get a properly sized open face SA spec helmet, such as the Arai Fjet.

You will have to go to a place that sells automotive race helmets, as motorcycle helmets are not allowed by all track day organizations, which is appropriate.

As a new to the track person, I also suggest that you get instruction from a variety of instructors/organizations. There are many track instruction methods/philosophies out there, you will enjoy the track more if you try out more than one instructor/organization

I can recommend both PCA and Hooked On Driving for your developing HPDE experience.

Jeff Urnes
Chief Driving Instructor, Diablo Region PCA

Old 07-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Island Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of light
I agree the open face is a option if a full face freaks you out. Even on my Harley if I have to wear a helmet I put on a full face. The increased level of protection for your face and teeth is 1000 fold.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:52 AM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
Motorcycle helmet crash impact zones by percentage are different than Automotive impacts, with the lower face area being the #1 first impact in a M/C crash. I would never ride a M/C without a full face helmet.

Automotive crash impacts are most likely in the cranial area, which is covered by an open face helmet.

There are other considerations for tracking a car, such as the fact that a street car most likely has a functioning airbag system...