Breathing With Helmet On

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:34 AM
911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of
Breathing With Helmet On

Have been wearing mine around the house so I can get used to it, and I ALWAYS feel like I am sufficating. What is the proper way to breathe?

Old 05-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Estoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really nice
Naturally.

Do you have the visor open - or closed? Does your helmet fit properly?

Old 05-27-2012, 07:15 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
what helmet do you have and does it have vent holes..

breath naturally as Estoril has said.

also remember if you are moving around the house at a quick pace that is really not simulating what happens in a car.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:21 AM
911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of
Have had company all weekend, so no computer time The helmet is an Arai GP5 with visor ~ can't tell if it has side vents or not. I got a medium because that is my hat size, but I always wear my hair up, so I'm not sure if that is affecting the size. I am a nose breather and I just feel like I'm not getting enough air. I'm wearing it around the house to get used to the weight and feel ~ I want to be able to fully concentrate on the driving.

Thanks for your help guys

Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Estoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really nice
Originally Posted by Karen England
Have had company all weekend, so no computer time The helmet is an Arai GP5 with visor ~ can't tell if it has side vents or not. I got a medium because that is my hat size, but I always wear my hair up, so I'm not sure if that is affecting the size. I am a nose breather and I just feel like I'm not getting enough air. I'm wearing it around the house to get used to the weight and feel ~ I want to be able to fully concentrate on the driving.

Thanks for your help guys

Are you walking around with the visor up or down?

Did you try it on with your hair up before buying?

Old 05-30-2012, 10:31 AM
I didn't know where to buy one locally, so I ordered it. I don't know if I should exchange it for a different size. I do try to put the visor down as much as possible since that is the way I'll have to wear it.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:59 AM
I didn't know where to buy one locally, so I ordered it. I don't know if I should exchange it for a different size. I do try to put the visor down as much as possible since that is the way I'll have to wear it.

Buying a helmet without trying one on is an iffy approach. Even more so if you have to tuck hair up under the helmet.

A helmet has to fit right. If you are having problems breathing with it on - you need to run that problem to ground. The first place I would look is proper fit.

Are you /tracking/driving in an open vehicle?

Old 06-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Karen,
Don't worry about it and don't wear your helmet around the house unless you are prone to running into stuff.

Seriously.

The mistake that most people new to the track make is that they get so wound up ande tense they don't breathe at all! Once you get on the track, just relax and casually check that you are breathing and not turning blue. The rest will take care of itself. You will be fine. Trust me on this. Best,

Old 06-04-2012, 11:40 AM
I have found a local shop to help me because I REALLY need to stop watching and start driving Hopefully they can figure all of this out and find the proper helmet for me.

Thanks so much for all of your advice ~ it has been very helpful

Old 06-13-2012, 02:36 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
I REALLY need to stop watching and start driving

Yes so when and what track will be your first? Just relax and have fun

Old 06-13-2012, 02:39 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
this is sound advice..

its all about the fun and smile on your face

Old 06-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
Well, my instructor and I had a classic 'Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus' moment. I thought I would attend a couple of single day events at Mid-Ohio, my instructor wants me to do several 4/5 day weekend events at Putnam Park and Watkins Glen ~ something I am not mentally ready for........and, I managed to drop a shelf I was building on my foot. Maybe by next season I will be prepared for WG and PP, because it IS better than sex

Old 06-18-2012, 07:22 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Well, my instructor and I had a classic 'Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus' moment. I thought I would attend a couple of single day events at Mid-Ohio, my instructor wants me to do several 4/5 day weekend events at Putnam Park and Watkins Glen ~ something I am not mentally ready for........and, I managed to drop a shelf I was building on my foot. Maybe by next season I will be prepared for WG and PP, because it IS better than sex
You might have the wrong guy!! He could - at least - have put that shelf up for you. Umongst other things!

Last edited by hroussard; 06-18-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Go at your own pace. Some people do one track day a year, others do 50 a year. But keep in mind that you have to go reasonably often if you want to get better. I'm aiming for 20 to 30 track days this year, and I try to apply the correct track techniques (lines, harder/trail braking, vision, heel/toe, etc.) even when driving at the slower speeds of public roads.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by hroussard
You might have the wrong guy!! He could - at least - have put that shelf up for you. Umongst other things!
I'm not sure wifey would be too happy about him putting anything 'up' for me

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Breathing With Helmet On