Auto & Motorcycle helmet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:52 AM
997TT HKG is infamous around these parts
Question Auto & Motorcycle helmet

What is the different between Auto and Motorcycle helmet? I just need a open face helmet for track day (not competition). Does it matter to use a motorcycle open face helmet?

Old 12-19-2006, 03:56 PM
kamil is infamous around these parts
dont take my word for it...but i believe that the only significant difference between a motorcycle and auto racing helmet is the slight difference in the range of vision...i also know that 'M' rating obviously means motorcycle and 'SA' means sports applications....the 'M' rating offers slightly less protection than the 'M' rated helmet...main diff is that 'SA' rating offers a higher level of fire and impact protection...I guess it's a matter of how safe you want to be as well as perhaps track regulations (if there are any)

Kamil

Old 12-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Paul2x is infamous around these parts
Auto helmets generally have a higher protection rating that motorcycle helmets. Their a little heaver and some are designed to keep the helmet on your head with air guids for the guys running the open wheel cars.

Look to: Arai ,Bell, HJC, and Sparco.

Be sure to select "Motorsport" helmets.

hope that helps.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
Why would auto helmets be tougher than motorcycle helmets? I would have thought banging your head off a roll cage would be less traumatic than banging it off the ground.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:24 PM
kamil is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gramicci101
Why would auto helmets be tougher than motorcycle helmets? I would have thought banging your head off a roll cage would be less traumatic than banging it off the ground.

excellent question!....Perhaps you can pm me when you find out...

Kamil

Old 12-19-2006, 08:32 PM
My thoughts exactally , but it's true.

The safety ratings of a good to average Motorsport helmet is usually higher than even the best motorcycle helmets on the market.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:57 PM
SKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud of
Typically, a SA rated helmet has fire retardent material and is required on many of the tracks, whereas a motorcycle helmet has a Snell rating and does not have the fire retardent material in its construction and cannot be used on all tracks.

By the way, I have an Arai GP5W that was worn once and I am interested in selling for a good price.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by SKXF430
By the way, I have an Arai GP5W that was worn once and I am interested in selling for a good price.
Please PM me the Size, price and where your located.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:54 AM
SKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Paul2x
Please PM me the Size, price and where your located.
I just sent you a PM.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Will Party for Food!!!!
Jeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond repute
The auto helmets are all fireproof and genreally offer less visibility. Motorcycle helmets offer more visibility and are not fireproof.

Think about it, you'd be hard-pressed to get trapped inside a burning motorcycle.

Jeremy

Old 01-14-2007, 08:17 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
The above descriptions are correct in the differences mostly with the fire retardant material.
For your purposes you will need to contact the track or CTI as different groups have different rules, like long sleeve pants and shirts while others dont require it.
Usually for a basic routine DE the proper year SA or M helmet is acceptable.
I like the ARAI selection...here's mine!

Old 08-23-2008, 01:20 PM
mrjuwono is infamous around these parts
What is the different between Auto and Motorcycle helmet?

Originally Posted by 997TT HKG
What is the different between Auto and Motorcycle helmet? I just need a open face helmet for track day (not competition). Does it matter to use a motorcycle open face helmet?
I was also told that Auto helmets are made to take a direct impact blow from a roll cage, whereas Motorcycle helmets are made to take high speed surface blows across the overall surface of the helmet (i.e. banging/skipping across the pavement). Providing what I was told was accurate, a Motorcycle helmet may not be as sufficient to withstand a direct blow in one concentrated spot by a cage.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:45 PM
george3 is infamous around these partsgeorge3 is infamous around these parts
The M is for motorcycle as apposed to SA (special application). Our P-club accept M helmets, but some clubs don't. For what we are doing (DE) it doesn't make a difference. The SA helmet offers more fire protection than the M, simply because you're at risk of a fire inside a car. If you go down on a bike, your head has left the vehicle and is not likely to be near the bike in case of a fire. As far as I am concerned, a M helmet will give you the same or better crash protection than a SA helmet.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:02 PM
DDMotorsports is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mrjuwono
I was also told that Auto helmets are made to take a direct impact blow from a roll cage, whereas Motorcycle helmets are made to take high speed surface blows across the overall surface of the helmet (i.e. banging/skipping across the pavement). Providing what I was told was accurate, a Motorcycle helmet may not be as sufficient to withstand a direct blow in one concentrated spot by a cage.
This is 100% correct. Motorcycle helmets are designed for multiple lighter blows while auto helmets are designed for a few heavy blows. Regardless of the differences, most organizations will not let you on track with a motorcycle helmet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.