Helmets: open or closed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 11:28 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
I know! It's counter-intuitave at first, but after you think about it makes sense. Like you, I want the protection of a full helmet but surely the SCCA knows more than me. I guess I'll go open faced...or break down and get the harness. I hate to put one in my street car. I need the back seat for my daughter, so would have to figure out how to mount one without having a harness bar.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:54 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I think the closed face can help noobs keep from watching 10 feet in front of them. Open helmets are so freaking ugly it drives me nuts.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:43 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I think the closed face can help noobs keep from watching 10 feet in front of them. Open helmets are so freaking ugly it drives me nuts.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Is this SCCA recommendation online somewhere? If you can direct me, I would greatly appreciate it. Be nice to see all the reasoning behind that recommendation, if they provide it.

Originally Posted by msb2tg996
open face, specially with an airbag, scca recommends open face as well, just my .02 cents,

Old 03-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Old 03-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Good job Doc, and thanks for the informative read. The upwards force of the lower section of the helment into the mandible certainly begs for a fracture, or at least, compression of the retro-discal tissue and/or TMD.

Perhaps those of us running Gt3 seats, 6-point harnesses, and HANS devices should talk to our tuners about a selective disconnect for the steering wheel airbag for race days. Certainly there can be some clever way to fool the ECU part of the time.

Thanks,

Al

Originally Posted by roadsterdoc

Old 03-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Al Norton
Good job Doc, and thanks for the informative read. The upwards force of the lower section of the helment into the mandible certainly begs for a fracture, or at least, compression of the retro-discal tissue and/or TMD.

Perhaps those of us running Gt3 seats, 6-point harnesses, and HANS devices should talk to our tuners about a selective disconnect for the steering wheel airbag for race days. Certainly there can be some clever way to fool the ECU part of the time.

Thanks,

Al
Glad to be of help. I appreciate everybody's input to this thread.

Perhaps if the harness is tight enough, you will not need to disconnect or remove the airbag at all. Also consider how forward you have your seat.
Otherwise, just remove the airbag on track days and replace it after the event. It's a simple procedure. You can disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the airbag light on the dash if you do not have an OBDII reset tool or scanner.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:45 PM
bk9
bk9 is infamous around these partsbk9 is infamous around these parts
Not to threadjack, but any recommendations on where to purchase a helmet? I've only done a few events, but think I'm ready for my own.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:45 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !

my 2 cents

Old 03-30-2007, 03:52 PM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
Hey Tom,
You should get a nice car to go with that helmet!

Old 03-31-2007, 01:57 AM
schnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant future
Aren't you supposed to wear a HANS device when wearing a helmet anyway (since the added weight can break your neck in a hard impact)? With a HANS on, I can't see how the airbag would cause your neck to move beyond its limits.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by GoWide
Aren't you supposed to wear a HANS device when wearing a helmet anyway (since the added weight can break your neck in a hard impact)? With a HANS on, I can't see how the airbag would cause your neck to move beyond its limits.
Supposed to? No. HANS is not required, but a great idea. You are right, it would solve the issue (even better than a properly tightened harness). I've seen only one person at a driving event with a HANS. There are plenty of professional race series out there that do not require it yet (if ever), and it is rare for the type of driving we are talking about.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:10 AM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
This is the one I've been using at the SCCA events here in Arkansas.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:17 AM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
My vote goes to open face. Yeah, it looks stupid but i feel it's more comfortable and vision is much better.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Banned
Eric is infamous around these parts
Anyone have experience with the Pyrotect Helmets? They are made by BELL and SA2005 certified..

IMO a pretty good price at $250. Anyone have experience with 'em?

E

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Helmets: open or closed?