Helmets: open or closed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 08:18 PM
JClark is infamous around these parts
Super D/Dave-

On the subject, how is the Pyrotect treating you?

Jesse Clark

Old 04-28-2007, 12:20 AM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by J Clark
Super D/Dave-

On the subject, how is the Pyrotect treating you?

Jesse Clark
Hey Jesse! How ya been? Helmet fits great, got it back from Lfttech w/the R3. Have been so busy, haven't even used it yet!

Old 04-28-2007, 01:24 PM
JClark is infamous around these parts
Great here. Busy with work. After all the track days, there isnt time for much else. Let us know how you like the R3.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:17 PM
SoCal97M3 is infamous around these parts
My helmet experience

I am going through the same thing right now...deciding what helmet to purchase. I have been to the track 3 times in the past 6 weeks, and see myself going at least 1x per month. It is time to look for my own helmet, and not get stuck with poor fitting 'loaners'.

That said, let me take a step back to when I had my Ninja ZX-7R motorcycle. When I got it, part of the deal was the HJC helmet that 'came with' the bike. I was new to motorcycles and didn't really care. It was a helmet that met the latest standards. Fast forward a few months and I try an an Arai RX7-RR3...it was the top of the line helmet made by Arai at the time. It was about $800 if I remember correctly.

Anyway, that helmet was night/day better than the HJC. The fit/features/comfort/construction/visor/ventilation/visor latch were all better. I know that on a motorcycle the helmet is a 'major' piece of safety equipment, and you wear it for longer periods of time, but my point is, it was worth every penny to get the helmet that cost 3-4 times the other ones.

Fast forward to now... I needed a helmet for my E36 M3 for High Perf driving events...and maybe an autocross someday. I wasn't going to get a super cheat helmet, but I figured the Bell M4 would be a good one. I was all set to buy one and it was pretty much in my 'price range' for the moment. Then I went to Sube Sports (GREAT shop by the way...lots of gear in the store...Cobra seats, helmets, suits, gloves, shoes, etc... plus the owner is very knowledgeable) and tried on the M4. It was OK, but nothing special. Then I saw that Arai GP5-W...and I remembered my whole motorcycle experience. I knew if I tried it on, I would probably want it. Needless to say....night and day difference between that and the Bell. The fit/features/comfort of the ARAI is amazing. Since it was more than double the Bell helmet...I decided to wait and get the helmet I really wanted. I will be going back in the next few weeks to purchase the helmet.

So that said...get a top notch helmet. The main thing that makes it top-notch is the FIT. BUT, I have a feeling the more expensive helmets WILL fit better. There was a noticible difference in the padding between the bell and the arai. Trust me, you WILL enjoy yourself much better.

Not to mention, the Arai has a lower profile and my head did not rub the roof of my car hardly at all....where it did with the Bell. The arai is a noticebly more streamline helmet and the comfort is night/day different.

I hope this long winded post helps....

SoCal