Helmets: open or closed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:38 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Helmets: open or closed?

Should I get an open faced or closed helmet? I have been shopping for a SA2005 helmet and have searched the forums. There is a lot of good information but I have not found an answer for this question. The car has an airbag and stock 3-point seatbelts. I do not intend to add a harness anytime in the near future as it is a street car. Also, I wear glasses.

Conventional wisdom says that a closed face helmet offers the most protection, so why the confusion? Well, I have read this type is best used in a car with a harness and without a steering wheel airbag. The logic is that the airbag is designed to hit the face, not a large object such as a helmet and the resulting forces could cause cervical damage. For this reason, open faced helmets are most appropriate if the car has an airbag. Is this really the case? Feedback please!

Old 03-24-2007, 12:36 AM
Secure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud of
I really like my open faced helmet due to the extra vision that it allows. That being said, I just bought a closed helmet and await delivery!
As I was told when I bought my first helmet, try them all and buy what is the most comfortable for you.
I have a nice one on ebay right now if you decide that you want an open faced. PM me for details

Old 03-24-2007, 12:44 AM
eMJay1133 is infamous around these partseMJay1133 is infamous around these parts
I say closed

Old 03-24-2007, 02:19 AM
msb2tg996 is infamous around these parts
open face, specially with an airbag, scca recommends open face as well, just my .02 cents,

Old 03-24-2007, 08:25 AM
henryr is infamous around these partshenryr is infamous around these parts
how many of the prof. drivers do you see with open face helmets ?

Old 03-24-2007, 08:38 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by henryr
how many of the prof. drivers do you see with open face helmets ?
How many professional drivers do you see with stock 3-point seatbelts and airbags? Please read post #1, paragraph 2.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:20 AM
henryr is infamous around these partshenryr is infamous around these parts
ooops........

Old 03-24-2007, 10:35 AM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
I went open face after the SCCA recomendation for using a helmet in a stock vehicle.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:57 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Open face helmets are ugly as sin. But doc has a point with the airbag situation although I dont think there is enough room for the hekmet to damage the head. However if your visor is up, it could break and hit you in the face.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:35 AM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
The SCCA had reported cases of closed faced helmets causing injury in wrecks.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:50 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
I use a closed face helmet and removed the clear plastic visor out of it for better visibility.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:13 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
open for stock seat belts, closed with HANS for harnesses.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:32 PM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of

Old 03-24-2007, 11:38 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
closed...I love my arai gp5w

Old 03-25-2007, 11:06 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
Interesting point in regards to the airbag and a closed helmet. I personally think I would rather have my whole face covered. Vision sucks compared to open but protects the face from rubber and track debris as well.(yes even in a closed car) : )

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Helmets: open or closed?