Seat belt pad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 04:39 AM
Mike R. is infamous around these parts
Seat belt pad

I've got stock seats and seat belts (3 point) and have been tracking my car about once a month this year. I've noticed that most people at the track have aftermarket seats with 5 or 6 point harnesses. I'm not ready for that yet, but I've been thinking about getting a pad for the belt to prevent a laceration in case of a crash. Anybody use them? Any advantages / disadvantages? Thanks.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think a pad will help much in a crash, and if you are going so fast that you need something to prevent a laceration, your belts probably are not going to hold you in anyway, so the cut will be the last of your worries. Just be sure that shoulder belt is tight when you start on the course, and get the harnesses ASAP

Old 07-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks, guys.
mdrums - That device looks good. I'm going to order it.
The reason I posted this question was that, in my practice, I often see some pretty nasty seat belt lacerations with scarring as the result of motor vehicle collisions on the street.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:19 AM
I think so. I'll try to do some research on the topic.
I also think that a pad on the stock belts would help. Ideally, harnesses are the best option, but I enjoy having my daughter go for rides with me in the back seat. A harness would require a cage / roll bar and thus no more back seats.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:35 AM
sms
sms is infamous around these parts
Mike,
I ended up putting in harnesses in my C4 Cab and have a pair of CG locks in my tool box that need a home. I have driven on track in a few other people's cars with them and they offer a huge advantage in holding you in. The pair are brand new, never installed and still in the zip-lock package they arrived in. PM me if you are interested as they are of no use to me, I am NOT into selling stuff, and I am only interested in them being put to good use.

PS: another way to use harnesses an retain usability of the stock seats for your children is with a removeable (a bit of work each time you use it however) harness truss.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:44 PM
|Drew| is infamous around these parts
I'm a big fan of the Schroth clip in harnesses. Real easy install, and great for letting you focus on driving instead of bracing against the wheel under braking.