Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Bill W is infamous around these parts
Chad, did I read that right that you plan to add a supercharger to this motor also?
So you are going to have a nitrous turbo supercharged 4.2L motor?

Old 09-01-2009, 12:32 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bill W
Chad, did I read that right that you plan to add a supercharger to this motor also?
So you are going to have a nitrous turbo supercharged 4.2L motor?

Bill,

Yes, we are exploring dropping the turbo's from GT42R's to GT35R's and adding a supercharger with deverter valve. This would be in combination with the six barrel type throttle bodies.

The displacement is 4.316L. The stroke is 82.4 mm and the bore is 105.4 mm.

We already have the nitrous, however with the combination blowers, I doubt if we will be utilizing the nitrous. The motor was clearanced and pistons/lands and oilers were designed for nitrous or top fuel. The amount of torque that I am being told that will be available in the lower rpm's would make the nitrous all but useless useless.

Last edited by cjv; 09-01-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Bill W is infamous around these parts
I would hate to have to do the tuning on that ECU.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Porscha is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cjv
Bill,

Yes, we are exploring dropping the turbo's from GT42R's to GT35R's and adding a supercharger with deverter valve. This would be in combination with the six barrel type throttle bodies.
Chad - I have been planning and building something like this for several years. I have mocked up several set-ups on a spare engine such as twin SC's only (2 different types), single SC and twin GT35's and twin SC with twin GT35's. But I ended up thinking to try twin SC's first and see what power and torque I get. I love the instant throttle response of this so if I can make 800bhp+ like this in a lightweight car on a PD 4.0l engine on individual TB's, why bother with adding anything else? If I dont like what I get, I can add turbos. Whether using turbos or not, the biggest issue I have had is finding space for the SC(s). I ended up with them in the middle of the engine between both banks of inlet tracts. This had multiple knock on effects such as no A/C, change to electric power steering, complete new tensioner and idler mount bracket, relocation of the heat exchanger, making a new oil passage manifold, relocation of oil filter, relocation of oil tank, complete design and fabrication of inlet plenums, injector position/fuel rails etc etc etc. On top of that is the design of the crank pulley for an additional belt and all the associated bracketry, tensioners, idlers etc. It also ends up being too deep for the stock engine cradle so a new one needs to be designed and made.

You could avoid some of the above issues using only a single SC with the turbos but it will need to be fairly sizeable and getting the air to it and out of it via intercoolers etc is a real challenge in the 996 engine bay. It also gets even more complex if you want to by pass the SC when the turbos spool. You do not have to do this as there are plenty of set ups running in to the SC full time on other applications. You will need to match the turbos differently to if you are going to bypass the SC. Using TB's after the SC (if Positive Displacement type) need a serious by-pass system for when the throttles are snapped shut.

I think this is a a great way of filling in the power and torque curves left by big turbos and it has been proven in other vehicles. It is also very involved. I would be more than happy to share more details of what I have learnt along the way if it helps at all. Who is looking into this for you - Rob or Neil?

Good luck with whatever you end up deciding to do.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:44 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Porscha,

The design is Neil's baby.

Take a look at the sizing of the new motor compartment lid. Usually this space is used for extra large intercoolers. It is the second pic.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/2428924-post501.html

Old 09-01-2009, 04:51 PM
cjv
If someone is looking for a Techart II front end and a Porsche GT2 motor deck and spoiler in AS send me a PM. They are going to be sold. The rear is origional Porsche and the front is origional Techart. The front was the first Techart II sold in the US.

Last edited by cjv; 02-24-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:59 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
[QUOTE=cjv;2524173]If someone is looking for a Techart II front end and a Porsche GT2 motor deck and spoiler in AS send me a PM. They are going to be sold. The rear is origional Porsche and the front is origional Techart. The front was the first Techart II sold in the US.

You do realize that the guy on the right with the head closest to the sign is ME, right? I remember that day... I think it was in 2004 when I arranged that get-together at carlsen right?

Last edited by cjv; 02-24-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:17 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by sharkster
You do realize that the guy on the right with the head closest to the sign is ME, right? I remember that day... I think it was in 2004 when I arranged that get-together at carlsen right?
Yep ......

Old 09-01-2009, 09:32 PM
cjv
These are some pics of past wide body conversions. These will be the same parts done in carbon kevlar.

Here is the wing withot the ducktails off the rear fenders. Also no defuser on lower part of the rear panel.

Last edited by cjv; 05-18-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:32 PM
cjv
These are some pics of past wide body conversions. These will be the same parts done in carbon kevlar. The ones we are doing will be one inch wider. We will utilize 305's up front and 355's in the rear.

Last edited by cjv; 05-18-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:01 PM
cjv
I'm not going to go over the suspension mods done to date, however I will briefly go over what will be added now.

A few years ago we purchased some experimental front race wheel assemblies. They were custom and used on the European race scene. Back then they were about 3K a wheel. I understand they are now about 7.5K per wheel assembly. ERP will be installing these parts on all wheels along with changing the front wheel cross bar to a lower GT3RSR cross bar.

In addition there will be some front lift bags to raise the front end above the normal half inch clearance for going up curbs. On 1badgt2's car they utilized hydralic operated bags. We will be using air operated ones.

That is going to be about it.

Last edited by cjv; 09-01-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 AM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Nice pics Chad, just by looking at the wheel set up you can tell it's a race car LOL. Great set up and build.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:08 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by art4iza
Nice pics Chad, just by looking at the wheel set up you can tell it's a race car LOL. Great set up and build.
Art,

The above wide body pics are not of my car. I believe they may be of 1badgt2's car. ERP did some of the work on this car and these pics give somewhat of an idea as to where we are goin with ours. ERP is going to do the work on KA.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:40 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Yep ......
Look what you did to me

Old 09-03-2009, 07:22 PM
TT
TT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of light
Chad, good to hear that you are gonna go forth with the project (sorry I need to over emphasize this) !!!!!!!!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring