Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:44 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VRAlexander
You need to move to Nevada! No smog...you can run open headers in Ny county..legally!
The problem is I love the ocean and slightly cooler climate. I'm not saying it has to be Caifornia, but Nevada other than skiing wouldn't be my first choice.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
I am chiming in a little late on this one and I have not read all the post. I do have one question, on page one you and todd@evo where discussing a race, did that ever happen?

Christian

Old 06-05-2006, 09:55 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Well, here is the latest:

Chad

Rob asked me to forward this to you.

Dee
S-CAR-GO Racing, Inc.
(415) 485-6026
Check our website at www.scargoracing.com

To: "Rob king" <rob@scargoracing.comSent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 3:46 PM
Subject: FW: 996 TT triggering

Rob,

My recent conversations with (blank). Will now go forward with electronic
solution, unless you have another direction.

Let me know,

(blank)

_____

Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:34 AM
To: (blank)
Subject: RE: 996 TT triggering

I can manipulate the placement of the triggers, as long as there are 4
of them, but it must be 4.

There are many options for the trigger. You could place it on the front
of the camshaft, or the rear, or we even put another one between cylinders 2 and 3 on another car we did and welded a new pickup into the valve cover.

A mechanical solution may be 20 or so hours of machine work. A software
solution at this point may be months worth of development I could not use
for any other car.

The 996tt's have been changing exhaust cams, not intakes, probably for
this reason, or just simply regrinding the stock intake cams paying close
attention to the lobe/trigger placement.

(blank)

________

(blank)

I have spoken to Rob @ S Car Go regarding the triggering issue he may
encounter. I have no experience with street engine electronics or the re
programming ability. It is clear that the 996TT Cams are not candidates for
his engine project. We will be using the modified cams which have 1 trigger
point. He has Cup Heads and Cam trays and the 996 Cam will not fit due to
the Trigger wheel. Modifying the Cup Cam for a 4 segment wheel is not
possible, and any attempt on these thin Cams appears to be a poor choice.
Welding and any other sort of fitment is not a good solution. We cannot
afford any problem issue here.

The solution appears to be one of two. I am hoping you can modify the
software to allow the system to accept one sync signal and have this signal
occur anytime between the last and the first cylinder to fire, and if this
will satisfy the ECU, he is free and clear. However, if that cannot be
achieved, then we have to look for an alternative solution. We have an
electronic solution, but this should be selected only after you have no
programming ability to change this parameter.

What have you done in the past when customers have used Cup Heads and Trays? Are they changing Cams, or are all 996 Turbo hot rods using all stock parts?

I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully success on your part to
solve this major problem.

(blank)

The long and the short is our application should be tested on a motor in the next week or two. I have substituted blanks in place of the above people's names with the exception of Rob at S Car Go Racing. If our test is successful, I will give credit where credit is due.

Last edited by cjv; 06-05-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:10 AM
cjv
Originally Posted by Christian
I am chiming in a little late on this one and I have not read all the post. I do have one question, on page one you and todd@evo where discussing a race, did that ever happen?

Christian
No Christian it did not. KA has been in constant change since July 2001. She has been through about 7000 miles and the current engine is her third. She has been on a lift at S Car Go Racing since the last motor bent all the rods in February 2004.

I would be happy to give Todd a rain check if he wants. I had no idea what I was getting into with this last project.

Last edited by cjv; 06-05-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:21 PM
VRAlexander
Christian-
I was at S-Car-Go last week and here is a photo of KA..the same way she was in February 2004...
Name:  CJV's turbo May06.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  4.7 KB

If you need someone to race..I would be happy (with CJV's blessing) to represent him at ANY event with my turbo ... Name:  drive.gif
Views: 259
Size:  17.4 KB

Last edited by VRAlexander; 06-05-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:56 PM
cjv
Christian-
I was at S-Car-Go last week and here is a photo of KA..the same way she was in February 2004...
Attachment 34793

If you need someone to race..I would be happy (with CJV's blessing) to represent him at ANY event with my turbo ...
Alex,

We need a clearer pic than that .............. it so blurred it looks like she is moving.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:14 PM
VRAlexander
Thats just her 'spirit' Name:  angel2.gif
Views: 533
Size:  1.2 KB .....I am surprised that she does'nt get a speeding ticket on the rack! Name:  drive.gif
Views: 497

Last edited by VRAlexander; 06-05-2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:55 PM
cjv
Thats just her 'spirit' Attachment 34797 .....I am surprised that she does'nt get a speeding ticket on the rack! Attachment 34798

Old 06-07-2006, 12:45 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
And what do you do when you get ticketed and have to take it to the State Super Inspection Station? That has already happened to me twice.
Wow it has? Darn talk about unlucky Never had any of my buddies go through that before.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:00 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by sharkster
Wow it has? Darn talk about unlucky Never had any of my buddies go through that before.
sharkster,

All a cop has to do is write you up for it. It can be a guess or "feeling" on his part. The long and the short is you have to bring the car into a State station. I thought you had that happen to you with an noise violation awhile back. About the time my some went through it with his exhaust on his M3.

There is also those infra red detectors that they can point at your exhaust as you accelerate onto a freeway that can detect emmissions.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:24 PM
VRAlexander
Name:  lame.gif
Views: 436
Size:  1.2 KBI dont miss California at all for thouse problems!
Here in Nevada....well its still the old west Sorry you guys have to deal with all that BS...Name:  drive.gif
Views: 451

Old 06-07-2006, 06:36 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
sharkster,

All a cop has to do is write you up for it. It can be a guess or "feeling" on his part. The long and the short is you have to bring the car into a State station. I thought you had that happen to you with an noise violation awhile back. About the time my some went through it with his exhaust on his M3.

There is also those infra red detectors that they can point at your exhaust as you accelerate onto a freeway that can detect emmissions.
Ahhh ok yeah what happened with me was that I got pulled over in the EVO (early in 2005) for speeding (6mph over... go figure). But he said my exhaust was too loud so I had to go to a "referee" (some 18 year old kid) who measured the sound. Funny thing is it passed.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Attachment 34881I dont miss California at all for thouse problems!
Here in Nevada....well its still the old west Sorry you guys have to deal with all that BS...Attachment 34882
It could be worse. In Arizona, a BJ it's illegal. And I don't mean just the "paid for kind" that _is_ legal in your state.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:07 AM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by sharkster
It could be worse. In Arizona, a BJ it's illegal. And I don't mean just the "paid for kind" that _is_ legal in your state.
Now how would you know that

Name:  bj.gif
Views: 457
Size:  3.1 KB < Sharkey's knowledge ....

PS> I am looking forward to 100+Car get-together later on in the month!!
Too bad KA will still be on the rack.. Name:  angel2.gif
Views: 442
Size:  1.2 KB
Chad do you want to ride shotgun with me??

Last edited by VRAlexander; 06-08-2006 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Now how would you know that

Attachment 34916 < Sharkey's knowledge ....

PS> I am looking forward to 100+Car get-together later on in the month!!
Too bad KA will still be on the rack.. Attachment 34917
Chad do you want to ride shotgun with me??
Well being a Brit you look/read and find out the weirdest laws in so many different states you know? I do a lot of reading, especially in the jail cell where I have no wireless....

Should be good eh? I'm bummed we won't see Chad's car tho but I still hope he comes. He's gotten open offers to ride in yours, mine and a few others....

Last edited by cjv; 06-14-2006 at 07:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring