Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:00 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VRAlexander
You knew that mine was done of both...Just a heads up on Todd's engine dyno....it is on the CONSERVATIVE side .
Actually, I didn't remember how Todd tuned your motor and I hadn't remembered to ask him in our conversations. I know it is rare to find a 996tt motor that has been tuned using an engine dyno.

It's good to know his dyno is conservative. This may sound crazy, but we are not so concerned about the power and torque as we are about the response and crispness. The power is going to be there to one degree or another depending on which turbo's are in the car at the time. We have a cam which has one heck of alot more lift than anything Porsche has ever made for any of their turbo cars. Better yet, this cam was designed for a high reving turbo and these monster breathing heads. Due to the fact these heads run approximately 800 degrees cooler than other GT3 and turbo heads we have the advantage of being able to push the timing.

This motor has broken new ground in many areas and the results will be interesting to say the least. Some of Porsche's past best efforts were deriving approxomately 244 reliable hp per litre. We hope to improve on this. Naturally, we are expecting some big things over what is currently out there. Time will tell .............. we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I hope I still have this silly grin when we are finished.

Last edited by cjv; 10-24-2006 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:11 AM
VRAlexander
This is great ...I give my opinion and answer a question and get negative rep points...maybe I should just keep my opinion to myself and let people figure things out for themselfs on their 996 turbo!!! I thought we where all here to help each other out and make shure another 6speeder did'nt have to make the same mistakes as we did in order to achieve their goal...but it seems like every time I try to give my opinion and help someone out I get penalized for it! It seems like people like to hide behind the keyboard and give negative reps to others who are trying to push the envelope and share their experiences in order for others not to make the same costly mistakes they did....how disapointing! I guess that I should just keep my mouth shut and read about people making the same mistakes!!

Last edited by VRAlexander; 10-24-2006 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:18 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
CJV, what is being done on your car re. the cams and ECU is an engineering wonder. However keep in mind the following with some perspective....

A street 996TT turbo (about stock weight) car built by Gemballa (TTP) with GT3 heads in year 2000 still holds the fastest acceleration numbers I have seen posted. 100-200kph in 5.3 seconds going through all the gears. VRAlex 5.4 seconds (maybe not his fastest, but I cannot confirm that), me 5.6 seconds (at 1.18Bar)......

I do hope that you can beat those numbers by 1 second at least 6 years later...The Veyron did it in 4.8s

Last edited by Jean; 10-24-2006 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:23 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jean
CJV, what is being done on your car re. the cams and ECU is an engineering wonder. However keep in mind the following with some perspective....

A street 996TT turbo (about stock weight) car built by Gemballa (TTP) with GT3 heads in year 2000 still holds the fastest acceleration numbers I have seen posted. 100-200kph in 5.3 seconds going through all the gears. VRAlex 5.4 seconds (maybe not his fastest, but I cannot confirm that), me 5.6 seconds (at 1.18Bar)......

I do hope that you can beat those numbers by 1 second at least 6 years later...The Veyron did it in 4.8s
Jean,

I have a little of time behind the wheel of a Veyron.

The 100 to 200 kph test should be right up KA's alley being all she has to do is start at the top of first and shift into second. KA is extremely different from anything else out there. VRAlexander has watched her snails paced assembly .......... ask him what he think about her motor. These cams/heads have taken about nine months, custom guide seals, springs, spring bases, retainers and seat cutters. The heads were flowed, cleaned up, flowed cleaned up and flowed again. Then the combustion chambers and exhaust ports were ceramic coated and flowed again. The cams were then profiled for the heads. The valves have larger stems and the diameters are a tad larger than the RSR valves. The valve material is mostly Inconnel. The retainers are titanium. The cams use the same pointers as the GT3 street cam yet the profile uses a .592 lift with a turbo duration. When the driver gives her some throttle coming out of a turn the response should be crisp and instantaneous.

Last edited by cjv; 10-24-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:32 PM
cjv
This is great ...I give my opinion and answer a question and get negative rep points...maybe I should just keep my opinion to myself and let people figure things out for themselfs on their 996 turbo!!! I thought we where all here to help each other out and make shure another 6speeder did'nt have to make the same mistakes as we did in order to achieve their goal...but it seems like every time I try to give my opinion and help someone out I get penalized for it! It seems like people like to hide behind the keyboard and give negative reps to others who are trying to push the envelope and share their experiences in order for others not to make the same costly mistakes they did....how disapointing! I guess that I should just keep my mouth shut and read about people making the same mistakes!!
Alex,

Go ahead with your opinion and don't worry about those that hide behind the screen. Let me know what day you got these bad reps.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:22 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !

Alex, who cares about rep points? They don't mean anything, you don't get a prize for getting more then the next guy. Most of us know the knowledge and value you bring to the site. Who cares about some butt hurt fairy sitting behind a computer pressing 2 buttons in order to give you negative reps.

edit: some idiot gave me a negative rep for this post

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 10-26-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:11 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cjv
Jean,

I have a little of time behind the wheel of a Veyron.

The 100 to 200 kph test should be right up KA's alley being all she has to do is start at the top of first and shift into second. KA is extremely different from anything else out there. VRAlexander has watched her snails paced assembly .......... ask him what he think about her motor. These cams/heads have taken about nine months, custom guide seals, springs, spring bases, retainers and seat cutters. The heads were flowed, cleaned up, flowed cleaned up and flowed again. Then the combustion chambers and exhaust ports were ceramic coated and flowed again. The cams were then profiled for the heads. The valves have larger stems and the diameters are a tad larger than the RSR valves. The valve material is mostly Inconnel. The retainers are titanium. The cams use the same pointers as the GT3 street cam yet the profile uses a .592 lift with a turbo duration. When the driver gives her some throttle coming out of a turn the response should be crisp and instantaneous.
CJV

I have read all that before Let us see the true test once she is up and running. You should at least beat a Veyron!

Old 10-25-2006, 08:04 AM
cjv
CJV

I have read all that before Let us see the true test once she is up and running. You should at least beat a Veyron!
Jean,

This project has made an unbelievable number of turns over almost three years. Sometimes I'm an optimist other times a pessimist. I'm looking forward to it being completed.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:54 PM
It will for sure, you are in good hands and it is almost there.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:09 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
CJV

Motor Trend stated the Veyron ran a 10.40 at 139.9 stock on street tires and emission compliance. Beating the Veyron on the street with street tires has less to do with power but more to do with traction control at intial launch. This have discussed extensively among the Viper Tuners.
CJV what's your plan for putting the power to the ground?

Last edited by vincentdds; 10-27-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:55 AM
cjv
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Motor Trend stated the Veyron ran a 10.40 at 139.9 stock on street tires and emission compliance. Beating the Veyron on the street with street tires has less to do with power but more to do with traction control at intial launch. This have discussed extensively among the Viper Tuners.
CVJ what's your plan for putting the power to the ground?
The tranny gears and syncro's have all been changed. First and second has been lenghtened and third through sixth has been shortened. The rubber tranny mounts have been replaced with hard delrin mounts. The motor mounts have been replaced with hard delrin mounts. All rubber joints have been replaced with hard monoballs. The axles have been replaced with upgraded axles. The driveshaft was replaced with a T300 shaft. The suspensions arms etc. have been replaced with GT3 parts. The sway bar was changed to on the fly adjustable and the shocks are JRZ four ways change on the fly adjustable also. Front and rear springs were made to order pressure. The rear differencial is a GT3 billet RSR LSD and the front is a baised gear LSD. Rear wheels are Fiske 18 x 12.5 and fronts are 18 x 10.5's.

I'm sure I've forgotten something, but prior to bending all six rods three years ago she was glued to the road fairly well. We also intend to install Cary Elsinor's (carnut) front GT3 wheels carriers and hubs.

Last edited by cjv; 10-27-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:19 PM
cjv
150,000 views ................ we are not complete yet, but we are getting really close. The current delay occurred when we sold a set of our GT3 cams to Markski. Promotive (Markski's engine builder) asked to borrow a set of our cam housings. When we recently asked for them to be returned we learned they were assembled in Markski's car. Not a real problem, supposely new cam housings are available in Germany. We had to order another set. This will push us back about five weeks. I expect to see her completed before Christmas. My what a present.

I believe 150,000 views passes the record set by a post about Buddy's cross country trip (the one that was deleted by the thread originator).

Last edited by cjv; 10-29-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:19 AM
chidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the rough
i am itching to see this car done.. As a supra owner, i am realizing the things we take for granted when it comes to easily making power and running the 1/4 mile..

reading this thread alone makes me realize that the 911 is a very expensive platform and i can only cringe imagining how much is in this project but then again, being a pioneer, you have to pay for development costs.. I am sure it will be well worth it when you get to drive this beast

Old 10-30-2006, 09:59 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by chidoks
i am itching to see this car done.. As a supra owner, i am realizing the things we take for granted when it comes to easily making power and running the 1/4 mile..

reading this thread alone makes me realize that the 911 is a very expensive platform and i can only cringe imagining how much is in this project but then again, being a pioneer, you have to pay for development costs.. I am sure it will be well worth it when you get to drive this beast
chidoks,

There appear to be many different marque owners awaiting KA's completion. Most of the responses, like your's, have been very positive and encouraging. We gave up looking at the costs a long time ago. You would laugh (or cry) if you really knew how many cases, pistons, rods, cranks, valves, springs, heads, cams, cam housings, tappets, turbo's etc. we have ordered or custom made, modified and then discarded because we learned something new. We believe we have explored every nook and cranny of this motor.

We hope in the end, it will live up to our expectations.

Last edited by cjv; 10-30-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Craigger is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cjv
if you really knew how many cases, pistons, rods, cranks, valves, springs, heads, cams, cam housings, tappets, turbo's etc. we have ordered or custom made, modified and then discarded because we learned something new.
So...how many?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring