Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 01-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Is there any data on differences in TT application. Presumably Evo would test? What is cost of doing TT I/Coolers?

Old 01-01-2007, 10:45 PM
KhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud of
Is dry sump oil possible on these motors? Just wondering why do a 8k oil pump over another option that would work. Space issues? Or is this option just simpler, and does the job just fine?(obviously cost isn't a concern on a project like this)

We used Swain on some exh. manifold coatings and exhaust housing coatings in the past. I think I may try the intercooler coating on my car, every little bit helps.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:31 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KhanNSX
Is dry sump oil possible on these motors? Just wondering why do a 8k oil pump over another option that would work. Space issues? Or is this option just simpler, and does the job just fine?(obviously cost isn't a concern on a project like this)

We used Swain on some exh. manifold coatings and exhaust housing coatings in the past. I think I may try the intercooler coating on my car, every little bit helps.
These motors are dry sump stock. A stock tt can starve for oil on a track with the only mod being sticky tires. The stock pump has one pickup. The GT3 oil pump has two pickup points. The 965/GT1 oil pump has three pickup points. We use the third pickup to pull the oil right off the heads.

We will not have any oil starvation period. Why a 8K pump? It is extra insurance on a 200K motor.

Last edited by cjv; 01-03-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:19 AM
KhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud of
Interesting. I haven't played with dry sump personally, but from what I understood of the concept, I thought the whole idea behind dry sump is to prevent the possibility of starvation. With the addition of an external reservoir(and pump?), it supplies a constant source of oil, and generally has a much larger capacity then normal/non dry sump engines.

I'm assuming the oiling system on these cars work a bit different then what I mentioned?

Old 01-03-2007, 08:29 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Recently I had a friend who lives in Europe (who has a highly modified tt) tell me his GT3 oil pump siezed. It did alot of motor damage.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:27 PM
dbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond repute
Swain lists on their price sheet at http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10971
a cost of $125 - 225 for coating intercoolers with their BBE coating

Old 01-03-2007, 10:35 PM
cjv
I have seen their pricing but I have not found anything about this product discussed on their website. When I first heard about their product I called and spoke to them about it.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:04 PM
cjv
While waiting for the motor installation we decided to do the fuel system. This will consist of:

1) New fuel rails.
2) New (larger) supply and return lines.
3) New external fuel pumps (900 pounds per hour capacity).
4) Fuel Cell.
5) Scavaging tank.

What is going to be done: We wanted a fuel cell so the car could be entered in the Nevada Silver Belt type events. We were not able to find any fuel cell companies who can supply fuel cells for the awd 996tt.The only company that we found who builds custom fuel cells is Vision Motorsports. Their custom built units are expensive. I had a good conversation with Vision's owner, Duane. He provided some very interesting and helpful information. I explained to Duane that we intended on removing the front axles, differencial and driveline. Duane explained to me that the 2005 Cup cars and the 996tt had the same front bulkhead and that the 2005 Cup's fuel cell would bolt in with very little modifications. Obviously information that would save alot of money. This says alot above Duane and Vision Motorsports. He could have sold us a custom fuel cell and instead forgone this sale by providing this information that he had (free of charge). I felt this needed to be mentioned. We need more people like Duane and Vision Motorsports. The added bonus is we will gain fuel capacity if we so chose to fill the tank.

Last edited by cjv; 01-04-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:11 AM
Chasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the rough
man this projects commin pretty close to D-day can't wait...btw arn't you located up in notrthern cali...like san rafael???

Old 01-05-2007, 03:42 AM
VRAlexander
I don't believe that 900lb/hr is enough for a forced induction engine of your caliber....you should re-calc. thouse figures and take into consideration the NOS....

Happy New Year Chad!

Old 01-05-2007, 03:46 AM
Alex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by VRAlexander
I don't believe that 900lb/hr is enough for a forced induction engine of your caliber....you should re-calc. thouse figures and take into consideration the NOS....
I was thinking the same, then re-read and saw that he said 'pumps'. So I figured 1800lb/hr should be enough to cover his ***. No?

Old 01-05-2007, 09:24 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Chasen1211
man this projects commin pretty close to D-day can't wait...btw arn't you located up in notrthern cali...like san rafael???
Yes, that has been home since 2/04.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:51 AM
Chasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the rough
it cant be that bad...hopefully you could make a trip down the penninsula...

Old 01-06-2007, 11:32 PM
cjv
Selecting the Proper Injector
In order to select the correct size injector for your application, you might wish to use one of the following formulas. In most cases a naturally aspirated engine will have a B.S.F.C of .50. This means that the engine will use .50 lbs. of fuel per hour for each horsepower it produces. Turbocharged engines will want to be at .60 lbs. per hour or higher.
Using these numbers as a guideline, you can select the approximate injector size in the following formula for a four cylinder, naturally aspirated engine at 200 bhp.
Most injectors will max out at 80% duty cycle and this is the accepted industry standard.
B.S.F.C is brake specific fuel consumption - How much fuel you are using per horsepower per hour

The proper injector for this application would be 31 lbs. / hr. or 330 cc / min To find the HP value of the of the above mentioned injectors use this formula

__________________________________________________ _________

To convert cc / min to lbs. / hr. - Divide by 10.5

__________________________________________________ _________

To convert lbs. / hr to gal. / hr - Divide by 6

__________________________________________________ __________

To convert cc / min to gal. / hr. - Multiply by .015873

__________________________________________________ __________

Last edited by cjv; 03-02-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:35 PM
cjv

To find the new FUEL FLOW rate after a fuel pressure change:

Example 1:
If a 240 CC injector tested at 43.5 PSI is run at 50 PSI. The result would be:

Example 2:

The horsepower value of this injector would increase by the same rate
(X 1.0721), if all other engine management systems remain unchanged. Flow rate at old pressure
240 cc/Min divided by 10.5 = 22.86 Lb/Hr
Flow rate at new pressure
257 cc/Min divided by 10.5 = 24.48 Lb/Hr

240 cc/Min X 1.0721 = 257 cc/Min 22.86 Lb/Hr X 1.0721 = 24.51 Lb/Hr 36.58 Hp X 1.0721 = 39.22 Hp

Last edited by cjv; 01-06-2007 at 11:41 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring