Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:00 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I have not received a return call from Nate @ EVOMS, however there is some information on the EVOMS website regarding the EVOMS head studs. It states:

"Head Stud Kit
SKU:ENGHSK996TT

Head bolt stretching is the major cause of blown head gaskets and head gasket seepage. OEM head studs are fine for mildly modified 996TT's up to 700 HP. Beyond this power level, we recommend and install in all of our built engines a better head stud and hardware. Our head studs are made from a premium grade 8740 alloy that is rated far superior to "aircraft grade". They are heat treated to 200,000 PSI. This insures an unbeatable material yielding a tensile strength of 250,000-280,000 PSI for unmatched clamping force. We have installed these studs with great success in over 25 996TT engines that we assembled in 2005. This is a must for any 996TT engine build and requires no modifications to install these in place of the OEM fasteners."

This is very interesting, about six months ago another tuner told me he had an EVOMS head stud tested and it tested only as strong as the stock Porsche head stud. I believe I was told 200,000 psi.

None of this information jives with our tests. First of all the Porsche and ARP did not test out at the same tensile strength. Second EVOMS advertises 250,000+ tensile strength. Porsche in our test tested at 175,00 psi, ARP tested at 220,000 psi. EVOMS is advertising a minimum of 250,000. EVOMS with their claim has far and away the strongest head studs. When Nate confirms this to me, we will use the EVOMS studs on KA's motor.

Last edited by cjv; 08-02-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:05 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Alex,

I just got home and received some of your vids of your project car. You are welcome to post on my thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv4ZG9VsReg

At least you stayed on the track this time .............

Old 08-02-2007, 07:56 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by cjv
I have not received a return call from Nate @ EVOMS, however there is some information on the EVOMS website regarding the EVOMS head studs. It states:

"Head Stud Kit
SKU:ENGHSK996TT

Head bolt stretching is the major cause of blown head gaskets and head gasket seepage. OEM head studs are fine for mildly modified 996TT's up to 700 HP. Beyond this power level, we recommend and install in all of our built engines a better head stud and hardware. Our head studs are made from a premium grade 8740 alloy that is rated far superior to "aircraft grade". They are heat treated to 200,000 PSI. This insures an unbeatable material yielding a tensile strength of 250,000-280,000 PSI for unmatched clamping force. We have installed these studs with great success in over 25 996TT engines that we assembled in 2005. This is a must for any 996TT engine build and requires no modifications to install these in place of the OEM fasteners."

This is very interesting, about six months ago another tuner told me he had an EVOMS head stud tested and it tested only as strong as the stock Porsche head stud. I believe I was told 200,000 psi.

None of this information jives with our tests. First of all the Porsche and ARP did not test out at the same tensile strength. Second EVOMS advertises 250,000+ tensile strength. Porsche in our test tested at 175,00 psi, ARP tested at 220,000 psi. EVOMS is advertising a minimum of 250,000 psi tensile strength. EVOMS with their claim has far and away claimed the strongest head studs. When Nate confirms this to me, we will use the EVOMS studs on KA's motor.
I received an e-mail from Mike @ EVOMS. His reply simply directed me to the EVOMS website. Is there a problem with a simple affirmation? I think I will have Neil tensile test one of the EVOMS head studs. I wonder if they will sell me one additional stud?

Last edited by cjv; 08-02-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:33 PM
cjv
I spoke directly with Mike @ EVOMS regarding their head studs. He answered all my questions and there is no need to do any further testings. We will be installing the EVOMS head studs in KA's motor.

Last edited by cjv; 08-03-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:42 AM
cjv
After much back and forth I have decided to revisit the stroker crank. Here is the latest.

Chad,

The following is an estimate for the 80.40mm Crank and the Steel Rods.

The Crank for the 2.000” Clevite Bearing will be a custom crank. Until I check the drawing and discuss with manufacturer the Oil drilling bias, the price the is estimated as,

1 off Custom Crank 80.40mm stroke, 2.00’ Rod Journal and knife edged $ 6750.00 + inbound shipping freight. 12 weeks delivery

1 set Rods, center to center length to be determined $ 2730.00 + inbound shipping freight, 4 week delivery

1 off Crank 80.40mm stroke, 53.00mm Rod Journal “stock” $ 5250.00 + in bound shipping freight, 1 in stock

1 set Rods, standard length, 131.70mm $ 2073.60 + inbound shipping freight, 4 week delivery

Again I need to check the drilling bias to be sure it can be done without a full re engineer. If I know the compression height of your Pistons and their weight, I can calculate the Rod length required and the reciprocation weight at the expected engine high speed limit. If you would require Pistons, I can provide an estimate once I know which Rod length will be used. There will be some difference in the Piston cost due to design above the Pin, if the Pin is at the shortest Compression height. This cost will be the design time to establish the desired Static Compression (dome Volume) and ring packaging above the Pin.

The Sealing Ring material has been ordered and I expect to get started on the O ringing of the Heads and Liners Friday and or Monday. The new Head Gaskets will be finalized Friday and an order placed for them at this time. I would expect them if all goes well, in 1 week approx.

Many thanks for the business. It is greatly appreciated.

Neil

Last edited by cjv; 08-05-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Glad to hear things are progressing.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:14 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by m42racer
Chad,

Go for it. You cannot beat displacement. If you are going to do it, now would be the time, as the engine is not together. Seems the wait from your post is about 4 weeks for the Rods.
The bottom end is assembled. If we go with the billet stroker crank, the question is which one. The crank with the stock diameter journals (53 mm) or the one with the reduced 50.8 mm journals which utilizes the NASCAR oval bearings?

We are working on the answer. The weight of the assembly (crank, rods, pistons and wrist pins) will dictate where we set the redline. Once we determined, we can choose the correct turbo's. Strokers usually don't usually redline as high as non strokers. If the redline isn't too high, then we will not need the oval bearings. Should have an answer this week.

I am really enjoying this final build. Some new things being learned. I can't remember the last time a engine builder took all the component's weights/materials and mathamaticly determine the operational redline of the built motor. Usually. they simply want to raise the rev limiter a few hundred rpm's over what the factory used. Usually it is just a safe or unsafe guess.

Last edited by cjv; 08-05-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:49 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by m42racer
Chad,

In this business there are so many who are not real engine people. I found it a pleasure to finally connect with Neil on many projects. He knows his stuff and in my opinion is so far above many of the Porsche so called "main Tuners". Its no wonder his company does so much work for alot of the Porsche tuning shops. BTW, over on the "bird" there is a whole thread about a 962C engine he rebuilt. Yesterday there was a posting from the dyno session with video.
Didn't he work for Porsche in engine design before he decided to go on his own?

Yes, Neil has some special talents. However, I want to stress that all the work done on KA has been done by different shops. They all have added something special, be it parts, assembly, software or ideas. The special credit belongs to:

BMC
Carnewal
ERI (Elsinlohr Racing)
Europipe
EVOMS
Loren Beggs
Performance Developments
Protomotive
S Car Go Racing
The Racer's Group

Last edited by cjv; 08-06-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 PM
cjv
Latest update:

Hello Chad,

Just a quick update of the progress or non progress. Today I did not get a chance to call Rob regarding the Pistons. I have just sent him an email and will follow this up tomorrow with a telephone call.

As I told you this morning, the Heads are machined and the Sealing Rings are semi finished. We are waiting on the delivery of the new Head Gaskets and Phizion Rings. As soon as we have these, we will measure their bores and finish our Rings to suit. I expect them here this week.

The Heads will be cleaned and reassembled as soon as the Springs arrive back.

Did you find out anything about the Head Studs you have?

I will email you as soon as I have talked to Rob. Once I have the dimension, I can check the Rod length and let you know what we have to do.

Thank you again,

Neil

Old 08-07-2007, 09:20 PM
cjv
I'm starting to look at the fuel delivery system. We already have RC Engineering 1000 cc injectors. They do the job, however we are looking at converting to a Peak and Hold Injector to smooth out the idle, lower rpm and rpm's above 7000. I understand the Peak and Hold work better throughout the complete rpm range.

Does anyone have experience with these injectors? I am talking about the Peak and Hold ones.

Last edited by cjv; 08-10-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:33 AM
cjv

Last edited by cjv; 05-18-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Jimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud of
Nice, got to love cliff-notes; but nothing beats spending 3 hours reading the entire thing.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:12 AM
cjv
I am expecting pics of the heads, head gasket, liners and o-rings from Performance Developments sometime this week.

In addition I hope to have the data on the stroker. What we are attempting to do is keep the weight of the upper rod, wrist pin and piston slightly below the weight of the stock configeration. Along with getting as much additional displacement as possible. This is a little tricky. Stock bore is 100 mm. It looks like we will stay with our 102 mm pistons. Going to a 104 mm bore would lighten the structure of the pistons plus take the weight over the stock 100 mm piston weight. The additional displacement looks like it will come from the stroke. Thus, keeping additional weight off the upper end. The added advantage of the stroke is to allow the torque to come on quicker (earlier) and stronger (more torque). Hope to have all the information by the end of this week.

Last edited by cjv; 08-12-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:15 PM
KhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud of
With the longer stroke are you going to be able to rev it as far as you had previously wanted? Basically how much will the rod ratio be affected?

Old 08-12-2007, 01:16 PM
dgussin1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Nice, got to love cliff-notes; but nothing beats spending 3 hours reading the entire thing.
I can think of something i'd rather do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring