Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:38 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
And Yes, the head work is finished and the heads are assembled.

Last edited by cjv; 05-14-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:52 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by m42racer
Looking good Chad. Can't wait to hear about the dyno testing.

Well done.
The dyno testing is a ways off yet. There seems to be some issues regarding verification of rod length. I will not go forward with the rods until this issue is resolved. To date it has been almost three weeks. If this continues to be a delay we will go with the crank, rods and pistons that we already had made and are ready to go.

Although PD's schedule regarding the o-ringing was light years ahead of other's, it still required five weeks. It was origionally scheduled for two weeks. Nothing involving this motor seems to go quickly.

Last edited by cjv; 08-29-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:13 PM
KhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cjv
The dyno testing is a ways off yet. There seems to be some issues regarding verification of rod length. I will not go forward with the rods until this issue is resolved. To date it has been almost three weeks. If this continues to be a delay we will go with the crank, rods and pistons that we already had made and are ready to go.

Although PD's schedule regarding the o-ringing was light years ahead of other's, it still required five weeks. It was origionally scheduled for two weeks. Nothing involving this motor seems to go quickly.

Even with my most trusted machine shops/engine builders. At the very least I add at least a week or two to their estimates, and a lot of the time it's double what they estimate. The fact that their seems to be consistent progress is as good as it gets.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:40 PM
cjv
Due to the time element with the stroker crank, rods and 105.5 pistons we have decided not to go forward with these items. The motor will be finished as a 3.8L.

On the upside, the car should be on the road in a couple of months.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:50 AM
cjv
Thats a shame. I was hoping to hear about some unreal torque numbers.

There is no substitue for displacement. No amount of magic tuning will ever make up for what you left on the table. Are you sure about this Chad? As KhanNSX states, you were having progress and you had progress on parts no one else could or did. What exactly was the hold up with the Crank and Rods? I'm sure, knowing Neil, he wants to make sure everything was just right. His methodical approach often seems slow, but remember, the Crank, Rods and Pistons are pretty important parts. Expensive and you don't want to make a mistake.

Still, I look forward to reading about the dyno testing. Thanks for sharing. This is really interesting. I see alot of parallels here with my projects with Neil. The parts and work he has done for you look amazing. Just like the parts he has done for me. Custom, and well engineered. Well done.
I would havebeen looking at January/February for motor assembly. February will be four years since we bent the rods. I just don't want to wait that long. Besides obce the engine is assemvled we have another one or two months for headers, MAF, intakes, turbo's etc assembly.

I'm just tired of it.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:29 AM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cjv
I would havebeen looking at January/February for motor assembly. February will be four years since we bent the rods. I just don't want to wait that long. Besides obce the engine is assemvled we have another one or two months for headers, MAF, intakes, turbo's etc assembly.

I'm just tired of it.
i think its a good choice chad...it over 3 years now KA wants to be on the road

Old 09-03-2007, 07:36 PM
cjv
Although I commend your decision for taking a back step when most would not especially when its all out in front of the world to see, I cannot feel its for the wrong reasons. You have come so far for so long, your 1 yard from the goal line and have decided to punt. Your post stated it will take another 2 months or close to get all the other parts together. That surely is enough time to get the Crank and Rods made. Can you not put the engine together as a dummy engine to make these parts while you wait for the Crank and Rods. Why were these parts not been made while all of this other work was been done. I know its not my money, and its easy to satnd back and fire off questions. I sincerely are coming from the angle of disappointment for you Chad. The 4.0L engine would be the icing on the cake here. I feel the cost is not the issue either. Its the never ending, on going project that never seems to get finished. I understand this. But I also feel Chad, you have lost control of your own project. Others have dictated to you how and when it gets finished. I have read the long waits, the no progress and the F'ups that have occurred outside of your control. I commend your patience and your willingness to forgive. I couldn't.

You have seen recent work done by Neil that not only is custom and first rate, but has been done to a fairly quick schedule, considering the type of work done. Why don't you give him the engine to finish and task him to supply this engine as a 4.0L version. I know it will get done and done well. I would go back to whom ever is controlling it now and tell them you have had your chance and failed. Get the best engine you can. Don't compromise because of other peoples inabilities to produce. Deal with them as non performers.

I may have overstepped my place here, so please accept this as my own disappointment for you, not any cheap shots. I just feel from reading this whole project through, you have had a string of non performers and some who have come through for you. I think you can have the best engine if you get the right people doing the work.
Actually, S Car Go Racing suggested exactly what you mentioned. They have a spare race motor that they offered to install so as to start manfacturing the headers, MAF etc.

I've had the weekend to think about it. I want to talk to Neil again after the Holidays. We may do it .............. don't know quite yet.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:43 PM
cjv
I'm not blaming anyone ............. this is just the way KA's schedule goes. It is refreshing to recieve an honest answer, but we lost another two weeks.

Chad,

Today we had a chance to retrieve the shipping boxes from the storage, pack and ship your heads.

Sorry for the delay, short handed last week and up to today with people on vacations here.

Neil

Last edited by cjv; 09-05-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:58 AM
cjv
We have not seen the heads yet. Hopefully next week.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:50 AM
cjv

Last edited by cjv; 05-18-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:36 PM
KhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud of
It's funny, I was just thinking of this breakdown. I was going to revisit the section about the intercooler coating. I have a rear mounted air to air intercooler and am in need of some extra cooling efficiency. I'm assuming this would be a worthwhile step to cooling the IAT's.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:22 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by KhanNSX
It's funny, I was just thinking of this breakdown. I was going to revisit the section about the intercooler coating. I have a rear mounted air to air intercooler and am in need of some extra cooling efficiency. I'm assuming this would be a worthwhile step to cooling the IAT's.
Yes, the Swain coating would provide extra efficiency to your existing intercoolers. It is not something that Swain really advertises. Contact them and ask them for a quote or ask them what they do to the intercooler as far as coating. EVO started using them after I introduced Todd to the trick.

Last edited by cjv; 09-12-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:22 PM
cjv
Up date.

I spoke with Rob from S Car Go. He received all the parts from Performance Developments. He said he will have his shop cleared to start the final phase in less than two weeks.

He is going to use a two prong approach. The motor will be assembled which will take about two weeks. At the same time a mock up motor will be installed and the following will be done.

1) Fabricate new headers which will include external waste gates.
2) Fabricate new air intakes which will have cone filters tucked into the rear fenders.
3) Modify existing "Y" piping to accept new high pressure MAF located in front of TB.
4) Install peak and hold injector system.
5) Install Garrett GT40R turbo's.
6) Install external BOV's.
7) Install fuel cell
8) Install larger fuel supply and return lines along will larger fuel pumps.

We should be ready for tuning by mid December.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:00 AM
cjv
All the parts are in ............ not quite. Well, in a way .... yes and no. It appears we have an additional item to study and gather information about. It has come to my attention that certain combinations of pistons, liners and rings lead to alot higher oil consumption. I want to gather all the information I can on this before I proceed with the assembly. I've waited this long and with winter aproaching, I feel a little more lost time at this point won't hurt a thing.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:58 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Chad did you have plasma coated liners? If so forget it... Tried it. Failed. Stick to steel...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring