Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:37 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Chad,

Your Liners were delivered today. We have to hone the ID as will start this ASAP. I will follow up with CP regarding the min clearance they wish to have on your Pistons.

Neil

I also just heard from Neil that S Car Go Racing just delivered the required info on the pistons.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:42 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Information on pistons:

Forging X100A
Bore Diameter 3.937
Clearance 0.0015
Compression Height 1.242
Point 0.4" UP 3.9355
Top Groove Width 0.0595
2nd Groove Width 0.07
3rd Groove Width 0.119
Intake Valve Relief -0.215
Exhaust Valve Relief -2.50
Dome Height 0.41
Gram Weight 449
Pin Diameter 0.905
Pin Length 2.25
Lock Type .073 Wire
Cam Profile 10MC6P16

Old 01-09-2008, 11:23 PM
werksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to behold
Out of curiosity,
I haven't heard much about 'Performance Developments'. Is that the Tuner/Company down in SoCal?
Things are sounding good for KA Chad. WOW, 4yrs.... your car rental bill must be OUTRAGEOUS!!! 8^)

Old 01-13-2008, 12:07 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by m42racer
Performance Developments has done quite alot of work for me. They built my 4.0L engine sometime ago. I have since sold the car as I never used it and was offered a price I could not refuse.

Not your typical "Tuner" shop. They are a development/ prototype business that develop many new parts, processes etc for many different engines. They also build alot of race engines/high performance engines. They do all their machine work in house including CNC type work. Many shops send them this work to do as what they offer is not available many other places. Especially for Porsche engines. I remember the sealing system they did for Chad. Others had tried or said they could, but it was PD that came thro in short time once asked.

They built the heads for Todd's engine with many custom parts, including the Camshafts, special Head Sealing system, and now they have produced the Liners. I have seen some of these parts on my visits, but I have not seen the Liners. Todd has posted many photo's of their work here for all to see.

I think they offer complete "kits" for the 4V engines, Heads, Cams, Cranks, Rods, Pistons etc. I'm not exactly sure what they offer so you would best call. What I can say is they are extemely helpful. I think Chad will agree also.
I don't believe most people realize where Neil came from or who he worked for before he went out on his own. I really don't believe there is anything he can't do. It's just about the costs.

Neil did prototype KA GT3 type cams with the appropiate type cam pointers which to my knowledge no one has done to date. I was not aware he did Todd's cams but if he did then he was the one who took the stock 996tt cams and eliminated the use of the lower lobes and welded and reground the upper lobes. In either case this is leading edge type work with the 996tt motor as I couldn't get any major cam companies to do either about a year ago. They simply could not overcome the obsticles.

There is not doubt in my mind that Neil and Performance Developments can provide certain parts and services that simply are not available from any other place period.

Last edited by cjv; 01-13-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:37 PM
cjv
Pic of liners at Performance Developments

http://www.986host.com/albums/DUANEB/IMG_5173.sized.jpg

Comparision of Stock (left) Woosner (R)

http://www.986host.com/albums/DUANEB/Viso090605_01.jpg

Last edited by cjv; 01-15-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:09 PM
cjv
I spoke with Neil at Performance Developments, he said he expects to be finished with the work on the liners by Friday. S Car Go should get them by the end of next week.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:36 AM
cjv
Update:

Good morning Chad,

To follow our telcon yesterday, the liners are next in line to be honed. I have only 1 vertical hone and the work at times backs up.

This is a particularly busy time for us, immediately after the holidays as we have to play catch up again. I have some Engine Blocks ahead of your parts that have to be done this week to meet a race deadline. As soon as we clear these, your liners will be up next. I have attached some photos of the Liners pre honing. As soon as we have them in the honing fixturing, I will take some more photos for you and send them. You can then see what and how we do this.

Regardless of the delay at the other end, we will continue to move your parts thro here as quickly as we can.

BTW, your 996tt Rod is done and it now is longer than stock, even with the big Stroke. The new combination is working really well and the first engine with this new configuration is showing in testing the longer Rod works as it should.

Any question, please call me.

Neil

Last edited by cjv; 01-20-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:59 AM
cjv
http://www.986host.com/albums/DUANEB/IMG_5174.sized.jpg

This is a better pic of the newly designed liners. The walls are far thicker than stock as is the flange and reinforcement where the rod/piston pressures are the greatest. Performance Developments has another cutting edge development.

I have had some people ask me how to contact Neil. His number is 949-646-7461

Last edited by cjv; 01-20-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
You have more patience than I do, I give ya that

Christian

Old 01-20-2008, 11:31 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
http://www.986host.com/albums/DUANEB/IMG_5174.sized.jpg

This is a better pic of the newly designed liners. The walls are far thicker than stock as is the flange and reinforcement where the rod/piston pressures are the greatest. Performance Developments has another cutting edge development.

I have had some people ask me how to contact Neil. His number is 949-646-7461
Nice JUGS

Old 01-21-2008, 09:07 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by m42racer
Chad,

There doesn't seem anything else will stop this from coming to an end very soon. Well done!!

This engine will finally be able to take its first breath. Cannot wait to see the end result. I am confident you will be happy with the results. I suppose it all comes down to the ECU tuning now.

There is alot of parts now available for these engines. Look at what PD has to offer. You have most of them so you will be able to showcase their stuff.

Cranks, Rods, Pistons, Cams, Heads, Sealing system, Liners, there is not much left to an engine. Chad, you have a really grewat engine about to come to life.

Well done again.
m42racer,

Actually we modified or redesigned the case, oil pump, crank, bearings, rods, wrist pins, pistons, rings, liners, cams, springs, keepers, retainers, heads, studs, cam housings, valves, intake manifold from heads to TB, turbos, external waste gates, intake to turbo's, 1000 cc peak and hold injectors, coils, throttle bodies and MAF.

I'm not positive, but I do not believe there is one original Porsche part that has not been custom made or extensively modified on KA's motor.

The ECU should not be an issue. We are using a 996tt ECU with a Todd Knighten modified GT3 program overwritten on it. We are adding our own voice activated boost controller and the GT3 ABS system to mate with the GT3 program. The rest will be tuning with particular attention given to timing particularily because of the cams, nitrous, head temps approx. 800 degrees cooler due to ceramic coated pistons, valves, combustion chamber and exhaust ports along with very high energy coils. The torque will hit about 1000 rpm's lower than any other 996tt that we know of and should run increasingly stronger to 8000 rpm's which will be our own limited redline.

Last edited by cjv; 01-22-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:48 AM
cjv
I spoke with Neil yesterday. The liners still have not been started. I was told now they would be done by the end of this week. Looks like we lost another week.

On the bright side, if he is correct S Car Go Racing should have the liners by the end of next week.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:23 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
hey chad... here's what an RS sounds like at 8600rpms... I can't imagine what yours will sound like at those same high revs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1kMQD1zh1E

Last edited by sharkster; 01-24-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:05 PM
CLS
CLS is infamous around these partsCLS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sharkster
hey chad... here's what an RS sounds like at 8600rpms... I can't imagine what yours will sound like
A little hijack of Chads thread here Alex, what kind of HP did Freds RS put out after all the upgrades??? Come on tell us......

Old 01-24-2008, 01:29 PM
KhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sharkster
hey chad... here's what an RS sounds like at 8600rpms... I can't imagine what yours will sound like
Again a bit off topic, but sharkster, shouldn't the drive wheels be slightly climbing the rollers instead of being on the downslope? BTW, I had my Dynojet for 6 years(sold it a couple months ago), and I'm pretty sure that the proper procedure is climbing(so basically exactly the same position on the roller you have it in the video, just on the opposite side of the roller). Or is there a reason you have it the way it is?

Sorry for the hijack cjv. I hope the liners are finished this week as they are now shooting for. Keep the pictures coming, the final assembly of all this is the end result we have all been tuning in for.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring