Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 11-09-2003, 11:12 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
caneaddict,

The sad fact about motors is no matter what you do, your power range (sweet spot) is limited to a little over a 3000 rpm span. As you make power the turbo's become larger, the redline goes higher and in return streetability suffers. In addition, we are trying to take one thing at a time as we are somewhat on unchartered ground. New problems always surface.

The second motor redlines at 8600 rpm's. It really doesn't start to perform until about 4800 rpm's. The motor will not be the everyday motor, we have discovered that. It will be used for special events. Right now the motor isn't the delay. The delay is re wiring the car for Motec and then also re mapping the first motor for Motec.

Have not heard from you for awhile. Good to hear from you again. It will take a longer than I expected. Then again, originally I expected to have the new motor in last February.

Last edited by cjv; 11-09-2003 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:03 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Chad,

You are a sick, sick man. You need intervention!!

AWESOME BABY!!

Old 11-09-2003, 10:35 PM
caneaddict is a jewel in the roughcaneaddict is a jewel in the roughcaneaddict is a jewel in the roughcaneaddict is a jewel in the rough
Hey Chad,
Thanks for the reply. Curious, what is the advantage then of the second engine? What type of events would the second engine be better suited? Is it going to be used more for racing and the original engine for street use?

Final question, will the turbo ever be as fun to drive as the Mercury?

Old 11-10-2003, 06:57 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
caneaddict,

The current motor is about as far as you can go (my opinion) without crossing over the line. Something I learned as we went along. I may be able to go up one hot impeller size and I don't know about the GT3 Cup heads.

As for events, playing at the track and special shootouts. The motor can be swapped in about a day once the wiring is complete.

The advantages of the Mercury is I can park it anywhere and not worry about damage. Besides, who would want to key a Mercury.

Old 11-13-2003, 06:46 PM
cjv
We have continued with test driving the car and trying to isolate problems. The changes were, the latest Protomotive ECU modifications regarding the 1.3 bar issue. The good things first. We experience 1.3 plus bar on both sides of the throttle body with no throttle body shutdown when all four wheels are being driven. This is to say the driveline is installed. When the driveline is not installed, we experience a descrepency in boost on either side of the thottle body. Two analog boost gauges, reading in bar have been installed, one is connected to each side of the throttle body. The side effects have been the car can be started without depressing the clutch (just like the European turbo's). My cruise control is now dead. I like the first side effect related to the clutch. S Car Go Racing is trying to isolate and remedy the second side effect related to the cruise control.

The car has never run stronger and acceleration and handling without the 1.3 bar restriction is simply amazing. In addition the car feels pretty much stock until you aggressively add more pedal.

Last edited by cjv; 11-14-2003 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:49 PM
AWD
AWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud of
Chad,

Who built your clutch????

Old 11-14-2003, 09:53 PM
cjv
My first clutch which was a Sachs/Porsche combination was built by The Racers Group. The carbon/titanium three 5" discs was built by S Car Go Racing.

Last edited by cjv; 11-14-2003 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:17 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Chad,

Is SCARGO selling these and if so how much are they?

Old 11-15-2003, 07:13 AM
cjv
Budman,

Are you refering to the clutch or the brake air deflectors?

Old 11-15-2003, 07:23 AM
cjv
If you are refering to the GT3 brake air deflectors, Rob at S Car Go has made this information available for free. They are easy to install yourself.

"The Porsche part numbers for the right and left side are:
996 341 11891 and 996 341 11791."

As for the three 5" disc carbon/titanium clutch, S Car Go will sell this kit. It takes about a month to prepare. The clutch parts are about $4,000. and the machine work is about $700. The above price does not include installation.

Last edited by cjv; 11-15-2003 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by cjv
The side effects have been the car can be started without depressing the clutch (just like the European turbo's).
Chad,

This is NOT a side effect. Your car has this because your software was written with MY car.

Wilber had the Euro ECU put in way back when, and we have always had the benefit of being able to start without depressing the clutch. Todd wrote on top of this program.

So basically, when Todd sent you the latest program you inherited this portion of my program (which Wilber sourced from Porsche directly). It really comes in handy when you want to start warming up the car without having to sit in it first.

Now I believe it is your turn to lend your car to Todd so I can benefit with something new.

By the way, did you also get my new aggressive throttle mapping?

Old 11-15-2003, 01:48 PM
cjv
Tyson,

Not having to depress the clutch will also save wear are tear. I like it. If you look back on this thread you will find my latest dyno run. Something is more responsive. Just look at the torque all along the rpm range. As for the cruise control, it appears to be ECU related. Additional tests on Monday with a different ECU, should render an answer. I agree, it is my turn now to be the test subject, again. I'm sure Todd will be making additional adjustments.

Actually, I have alot of spare time now. The 72 pound (740 cc) RC Engineering Injectors will not be available until around January 1st. In the mean time, I get free storage at S Car Go Racing. The new injectors, rods and oil pump will hopefully make a nice impact.

Last edited by cjv; 11-15-2003 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:59 PM
cjv
I am looking at carbon fiber doors with safety beam and carbon fiber hood (no air vent). I know Techart makes these parts. Anyone else that you are aware of that makes these parts?

Old 11-16-2003, 07:31 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Getty does.

Old 11-16-2003, 09:04 PM
cjv
Stephen,

Do you have a contact number for Getty? What do you know about their quality?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring