Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:59 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
What is in the works. Below is a couple pics of our World Cup Challenge plenum. We will cut the lower legs to to required length to match the 50 mm barrels. Further research indicates by use of the 50 mm barrels we can pickup 75 hp along with alot or response time on our engine build.

Last edited by cjv; 02-24-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:53 AM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
That is a massive amount of HP increase with just that. Some barrels......must be worth a lot of $$$

Old 07-15-2009, 06:28 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by art4iza
That is a massive amount of HP increase with just that. Some barrels......must be worth a lot of $$$
The parts are just over 8K. The labor will be about 6K and that will probably end up being a very good deal. That does not include the cost of the World Cup Plenum.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:58 PM
cjv
This is a three index oil pump. The gears are being prepared for friction coating. These pumps today cost about 12K. They suck the oil off three different areas of the motor virtually leaving no loose oil anywhere.

Last edited by cjv; 02-24-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:44 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Just insane work Chad. BTW, I heard you are being sponsored by Obama's stimulus package

Old 07-15-2009, 10:58 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Suspension is a long story and as radical as the motor. The front hubs and cross member was designed by Cary @ ERS, Currently about a 20K system for parts only. The coils are JRZ four ways, everything is mono balled and control arms and camber plates are GT2 or RSR. The brakes are Brembo full floaters, Leman Callipers, 380 mm fronts 350 mm rears. Lexon tranny mounts and motor mounts. The tranny is fully built, changed all six gears/shafts, steel syncros and tranny cooler. It also has a billet RSR LSD It has been so long that I can't remember it all anymore..... sorry If you find a April 2004 issue of Excellence it pretty much describes how it is set up. The article is called "Clear for Takeoff." The author Dave Colman took it out and his first run was Top Time of the Day with no one else even close the rest of the day. One other thing, the car is very light.

I took sharkster from sharkworks for a ride on the Mt Hamilton twisties a few years ago. Ask him what he thinks about how she handles. He will probably tell you a story about dodging a bird in flight. The story is true.
LOL that was fun... I think it's actually partly you're fault I'm in this industry now Either way after that drive I've been using double and triple adjustable JRZ/Moton combos ever since heh... Not to mention all of this stuff too:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.p...ype=Suspension

Even my daily driver 2009 997S has all the arms/links and solid stuff

Your car was quite ahead of its time eh?! I wonder if that bird is still alive It had a death wish and it's lucky that the car in questions was yours. Try doing that in a normal car eh?

Old 07-16-2009, 09:00 AM
cjv
Originally Posted by sharkster
LOL that was fun... I think it's actually partly you're fault I'm in this industry now Either way after that drive I've been using double and triple adjustable JRZ/Moton combos ever since heh... Not to mention all of this stuff too:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.p...ype=Suspension

Even my daily driver 2009 997S has all the arms/links and solid stuff

Your car was quite ahead of its time eh?! I wonder if that bird is still alive It had a death wish and it's lucky that the car in questions was yours. Try doing that in a normal car eh?
Alex,

My how times and people have changed. How many people from 2000/2001 are stll around these boards? Remember when 500 hp for a 996tt was the Holy Grail? Porsche with it's GT1 won Le Mans with a 600 hp motor!

Last edited by cjv; 07-16-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:14 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Alex,

My how times and people have changed. How many people from 2000/2001 are stll around these boards? Remember when 500 hp for a 996tt was the Holy Grail? Porsche with it's GT1 won Le Mans with a 600 hp motor!
I know what you mean eh? Seems like soooo long ago but I remember 500hp being something special and thinking 600hp? Never!

I'd like a GT1 with a KA engine in it

Old 07-16-2009, 10:16 AM
I saw a replica GT1 at cars and coffee at OC few months ago. Not sure if it was the real deal or not, it very well could be. What a machine though!!

Old 07-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Porscha is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cjv
What is in the works. Below is a couple pics of our World Cup Challenge plenum. We will cut the lower legs to to required length to match the 50 mm barrels. Further research indicates by use of the 50 mm barrels we can pickup 75 hp along with alot or response time on our engine build.
Neil does a nice turbo plenum designed to fit onto individual TB's. I have a pic somewhere. Why are they using roller throttle barrels?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:46 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Porscha
Neil does a nice turbo plenum designed to fit onto individual TB's. I have a pic somewhere. Why are they using roller throttle barrels?
I am taking the liberty of assuming you are asking why "barrel" type versus "butterfly" type as used on the RSR is our present choice.

During discovery I learned the barrel has no obstruction "a la buttery fly and shaft" as the RSR type does. The RSR type was designed for a NA motor. By design given the same size throat ...... the RSR flows less air than the barrel type because of the shaft and butterfly. The RSR type has a history of having a weak shaft. If the shaft breaks it can be catastrophic to the motor. A fix is to have new shafts made of 300N material which will add an additional cost of $1,200.00 just for machining the shafts.

The RSR type is designed for a NA motor. Under boost one bank could become stuck which would result in another problem. This has been an issue where the RSR type has been adapted to turbo use.

The above being said, I would like to see a picture of Neil's part if possible. I have discussed this with Neil and he has not mentioned it to me. Is his part for a turbo charged motor?

In addition, the actual fitting of the World Cup plenum to the barrel units is a fairly simple job. To have one plenum fabricated for each side and then add a crossover would be a lot of work.

Then again, this is fairly new to me, I'm always looking for more information.

Here are some pics of the RSR type and some fabricated plenums. I believe Loren Beggs of 911 Design did the work.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/1695298-post87.html

Last edited by cjv; 07-16-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Porscha is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cjv
I am taking the liberty of assuming you are asking why "barrel" type versus "butterfly" type as used on the RSR is our present choice.

During discovery I learned the barrel has no obstruction "a la buttery fly and shaft" as the RSR type does. The RSR type was designed for a NA motor. By design given the same size throat ...... the RSR flows less air than the barrel type because of the shaft and butterfly. The RSR type has a history of having a weak shaft. If the shaft breaks it can be catastrophic to the motor. A fix is to have new shafts made of 300N material which will add an additional cost of $1,200.00 just for machining the shafts.

The RSR type is designed for a NA motor. Under boost one bank could become stuck which would result in another problem. This has been an issue where the RSR type has been adapted to turbo use.

The above being said, I would like to see a picture of Neil's part if possible. I have discussed this with Neil and he has not mentioned it to me. Is his part for a turbo charged motor?

In addition, the actual fitting of the World Cup plenum to the barrel units is a fairly simple job. To have one plenum fabricated for each side and then add a crossover would be a lot of work.

Then again, this is fairly new to me, I'm always looking for more information.

Here are some pics of the RSR type and some fabricated plenums. I believe Loren Beggs of 911 Design did the work.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/1695298-post87.html
I hear you on the flow of the roller type barrels.

I have attached a picture that Neil sent me some time ago when I was looking into this. I have also attached some pictures of what I ended up doing. Sportec had some nice cast plenums on their SPR1 but it seems they won't sell you them without the car.

Attached Images    
Old 07-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Nice fab work!!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:39 PM
TT
TT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of light
Looking good. Can't ignore the amazing fabrication work!

Couple of quick questions--what is the scheduled first drive date as of right now? How many miles are you expecting to put on the vehicle each year (street or track)? Also, how often are you expecting to have to do rebuilds (re: the engine)? Hopefully not too often considering how much time and effort has been required to get it to where its at today...but at least you'll have a much better idea on what needs to be done.

Take care

Old 07-28-2009, 05:25 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Porscha
I hear you on the flow of the roller type barrels.

I have attached a picture that Neil sent me some time ago when I was looking into this. I have also attached some pictures of what I ended up doing. Sportec had some nice cast plenums on their SPR1 but it seems they won't sell you them without the car.
Porscha,

I just returned from Monaco and I didn't do any answering.

I see what Neil did, however we are still using nitrous and the above in my opinion just doesn't have the same mixing chamber.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring