Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 11-20-2003, 03:57 PM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of
I think it is the same one Scott!

Old 11-20-2003, 05:44 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
icerbofh,

Decided not to show the car. I would have to leave it there for eight days. I would like to drive it over the Thanksgiving Holidays.

Old 11-20-2003, 05:50 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Soon2be993tt,

The carbon fiber hood we ordered weighs 4.8 kg.

Old 11-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Zeo
Zeo is infamous around these parts
how can you tell the difference of the rear bumper from a european rear bumper

Old 11-20-2003, 06:03 PM
cjv
Zeo,

The US bumper has the two black warts (some people paint them to match) on the back. Both sides of the license plate. The European bumper does not have these warts.

Old 11-20-2003, 06:07 PM
luting_chen is infamous around these parts
Carrera GT seats?
wow...how much are the seats chad?
I believe it's not only made of carbon, but the shape is also different from the carbon gt3 seats...

can you give us more info on that?

Old 11-20-2003, 06:59 PM
Todd of CA is infamous around these parts
Chad's injector problem

Hey Chad,
Why didn't you just ask???
I can send you up a peak/hold injector driver like we use on all the 993/993tt's for larger injectors and then you can run any injector you want
I'd hate to have you miss the event for something silly like that.

Old 11-20-2003, 08:58 PM
cjv
luting_chen,

Yes, the shape is different from the GT3 seat. The mid and lower sections are very simular. The upper section is a different design. No where near as wide. I will give information about cost and source once I have them in my possession.

Last edited by cjv; 11-20-2003 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:20 PM
cjv
Protomotive,

You got me on this one. What is a peak/hold injector driver? What injectors do you use with it. Currently I understand the largest high impedence injector available is a 52 pound or 550 cc injector. I know larger low impedence ones are available. Can you explain this peak/hold injector driver to me?

Old 11-21-2003, 10:34 AM
Todd of CA is infamous around these parts
peak/hold :) good stuff

Chad,
Peak/hold injector drivers are the good one's that all the race cars use, and were previously used in the 3.2l 911's till they figured out they could do it cheaper with saturated type drivers.

The peak/hold drivers can drive ANY injector you want. I use the 4/1 drivers in the boxes we make so you could literally drive down to .5ohm injectors if you wanted to.

This get's rid of the question of what injectors are available for the high impedance stuff.

One of the reasons the high impedance injectors are limited on size is they don't have enough horsepower in them to open and close properly with the really large injector sizes.
The peak and hold stuff had remedied this by using low resistance, high current, high powered injectors that drive open the injector at nearly 6 amps! vs. only 1 amp or so for the saturated type. For comparison, in power numbers, that's 72watts at 12 volts for a peak/hold vs. only 12watts on the saturated type. Power is what moves things fast, and that's what these do. Move big injectors at amazing rates for accurate control.
The hold part of it is for power consumption and also to not overheat the injectors. After it's slammed open with all that power, they go into a hold current that actually draws less current than a saturated type injector, so they run cooler and take less current over all to operate...
The reason they were dropped out of production is purely cost.
We have a circuit in these boxes that gives just enough resistance back to the computer to not flag an error where it would think there's no injectors out there. Then it converts the signal from a saturated (purely on/off) to a high current peak/hold to drive 6 sequential injectors. Yes, we have 6 individual drivers in these boxes

Old 11-21-2003, 07:33 PM
cjv
Is there any downside to using the peak/hold? If so what is it. Is there any issue with adding another box to the ECU or having the ECU drive this box?

Old 11-21-2003, 07:36 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Can it be done by December 1st so SCARGO no.1 car is present

Old 11-21-2003, 08:05 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Any chance of a suprise guest-star appearance?

Old 11-22-2003, 05:46 AM
cjv
sharkster,

Everything is sort of up in the air at this time. I have the RC Engineering 72 pound injectors on order at this time. They are due after the first of the year. Protomotive has just recently introduced us to this peak/hold system. It sounds like this system could be ready in time for the shootout. If I went this route the car would definitely be in the area. I just need to learn more about this peak/hold system.

On one hand it sounds superior to adding larger injectors and the power requirements to make these injectors operate at their most efficient state. On the other hand it would be adding another box for the ECU to drive. My past experience with the Unichip and the AFIC (additional fuel injector controller) makes me a little leery. On the other hand the Greedy boost controller has experienced only one problem that has since been rectified. I wish I could talk to some others who have actual experience with this type of equipment.

If I decide to go the peak/hold route, then yes, I would stop by with the cjv/ s car go. Weather it actually runs or not at that time would by your's or European Cars decision.

Last edited by cjv; 11-22-2003 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:50 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Chad,

Your still using a UNICHIP??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring