Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:03 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Yesterday I was informed by Performance Developments that they had received the pistons and they were being sent out for the top fuel dome coatings and skirt coatings. We should have them back in two weeks.

In the mean time the rods are due soon. Neil still says the motor will be assembled by the end of November.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:51 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Porsche Traction Management

The big difference in the handling balance of the 997tt comes from Porsche Traction Management (PTM).

PTM uses a Borg Warner-made viscous clutch, that can open or close in just 100 milliseconds, to shunt power between front and rear axles as required to maintain optimum traction. This clutch also opens instantly to free the axles under ABS activation.

Installed in the Getrag transmission, this viscous clutch is designed to deliver as much as 100% drive to either axle, although on a dry road under constant throttle, it send 60 percent of the power to the rear axle. The new system is superior in slippery conditions where it helps to reduce understeer without affecting the stability of the car.

My question is ......... has anyone looked into weather this Borg Warner viscous clutch can be installed in a 996tt in place of our lousy viscous coupling? Is it located in the transmission? Can transmissions be swapped with a 996tt? Is it located outside the tranny?

Last edited by cjv; 11-07-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Your talking about the 2010 Model ?

Old 11-07-2009, 06:00 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Red 9
Your talking about the 2010 Model ?
I believe so, however I do not know when it was first introduced. I need to know more about this part.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:10 PM
cjv
Old 11-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Very interesting, Chad....

Old 11-07-2009, 06:18 PM
cjv
Old 11-07-2009, 06:21 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Very interesting, Chad....
Scott,

The 997tt definitely has an advantage over the 996tt in acceleration and in handling. It isn't the motor and the suspension is not any better than a properly modified 996tt suspension. I have been looking into why and this particular part and it seems to be the reason.

Now I need to find out if it can be retrofitted in the 996tt.

Last edited by cjv; 11-07-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Scott,

The 997tt definitely has an advantage over the 996tt in acceleration and in handling. It isn't the motor and the suspension is not any better than a properly modified 996tt suspension. I have been looking into why and this particular part and it seems to be the reason.

Now I need to find out if it can be retrofitted in the 996tt.
I'll be looking forward to hearing your findings. It makes sense that it could be retrofitted.

Last edited by cjv; 11-07-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:43 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I'll be looking forward to hearing your findings. It makes sense that it could be retrofitted.
Scott,

Based on the pics I have seen I believe it can be retrofitted. I am looking into this. My next question is what about the sensors? Where are they located and can they be fitted?

Then, what about the cost of this part? I am sure it is expensive. Maybe one would be available in a wrecking yard.

It will be interesting if any of the major turners are on to this. I really can't believe it hasn't been on the radar screen before now!

Last edited by cjv; 11-07-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Your last comment is the only part that makes me wonder. I know that the new system has an electrical activation to it, that makes it different from the 996 and first 997's. I was actually wondering if there a system out there like the new STI has that you can manually transfer power or lock it to the rear.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:06 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Sounds like something RaceLogic mihgt be interested in building a control box for. they already have the work done detecting slip from the ABS sensors. Pretty specialized though so not much incentive for them to build. An interesting idea though!

Old 11-07-2009, 07:07 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Prche951
Your last comment is the only part that makes me wonder. I know that the new system has an electrical activation to it, that makes it different from the 996 and first 997's. I was actually wondering if there a system out there like the new STI has that you can manually transfer power or lock it to the rear.
I would not want a manual transfer or lock. The 100 milliseconds peaks my interest. The 996tt viscous coupling doesn't transfer more than 50 foot pounds of torque up front. This unit is so far ahead of the 996tt. This unit makes the car faster both in the turns and on the straight.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:16 PM
cjv
Old 11-07-2009, 07:27 PM
cjv
To transfer the available power to the road, the new generation of the 911 Turbo features a redesigned all-wheel drive with an electronically controlled multi-disc clutch. Porsche Traction Management (PTM) ensures variable power distribution to the two driven axles. Depending on the driving conditions, the all-wheel electronics system constantly determine the optimal torque distribution to ensure the best-possible drive. In practice this translates as high agility on narrow country roads, outstanding traction in rain and snow and optimal active safety even at high speeds. These properties make the Porsche Traction Management system in the new 911 Turbo one of the most powerful and, at the same time, lightest all-wheel systems on the market.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring