Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:14 AM
QTC
QTC is a glorious beacon of lightQTC is a glorious beacon of lightQTC is a glorious beacon of lightQTC is a glorious beacon of lightQTC is a glorious beacon of light
to cjv : I'm a little bit in late in my study, so I don't know when I will have time to study really your manifold, so I have some idea and I keep your project in mind.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:15 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zippy
Chad. What's the target road date now. Hopefully this coming spring/summer.
Mike,

The end of March appears to be realistic.

The above intake has put us back a little. The design work to assure balanced runner flow was mind boggling. Could have rebuilt two motors for the costs involved. However, the end result will be instantaneous response due to all cylinders being matched.

Last edited by cjv; 01-23-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:08 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
After much design and testing for the plenum .......... we have made some changes. The above pictures will not be the final design. Due to a patent pending I will not show pics for now.

I can disclose the following. We have eliminated the Y pipe feeding a splitter or tee. Each intercooler/turbo will feed an individual bank. There will be a crossover pipe between each kidney on each bank and the kidney's will be both longer and wider than shown in the above pics. Internal runners will balance the air within the kidney's.

The system will be able to be run with or without a MAF sensor. The system is being made utilizing carbon fiber.

More later. We should have the above product completed in four weeks.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:59 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Will this intake go into production? Also isn't the ability to run on speed density ( - MAF) also a function of the engine management you are using?

Old 01-26-2010, 11:49 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by germeezy1
Will this intake go into production? Also isn't the ability to run on speed density ( - MAF) also a function of the engine management you are using?
Mine is the prototype. Neil has a gentleman in Japan wanting one. They will be available to anyone at some point soon.

Yes, the engine management we are running uses speed density along with some other little items like control of dual injectors per cylinder with a combined cc output of 1450 cc's per cylinder. That will give us a great idle and have more than 1100 cc's @ 80% so we will not have to overdrive the injectors. In addition we will be utilizing six individual throttle bodies.

Last edited by cjv; 01-26-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:53 PM
cjv
I just received this note from Neil:

To recap our telcon today, I had a meeting with the carbon company today to go over the Intake system. Over the past days I have “moched“ up the Intake on your ‘dummy” engine, “drawn” the parts enough to get a 3D print of the Plenum so I can get all of the Carbon details worked out.

I will print something overnight to give to the carbon people to ensure the resin used will not react to the plastic of the 3D parts. Once this test is done and we do not have any issues, I will complete the full working drawings, print the parts and supply them to the Carbon company. If there are any issues with the resin, there is some other hardeners I can buy that will make the printed part a lot harder.

Once they have the parts, they will do whatever prep work is required to the 3D parts, make moulds from them and then run the actual parts. I have been given a ball park of approx 3-4 weeks to finish the parts, once I give them the go ahead.

We will print all of the parts, then fit them to your engine and do all of the moch ups so we can be sure we get all of the parts in the correct location. We have to add a cross shaft for the Throttles etc and all of the plumbing. It will take a little time, but very necessary. Hopefully once the parts are all printed, we can get this done ASAP. I will send thro some photos of the parts fitted. This will delay the assembly until we are fully finished with the moch up. We cannot do anything without an Intake, so it doesn’t really hold us up.

The design is similar to other we have done for the earlier engines. The system will have two entries, one for each plenum and a cross over balance tube. All internal O rings, so no hose clamps showing. The in car plumbing will require two pipes from each Intercooler up to the cross over manifold. Simple parts. This design will eliminate the issue the present systems have with balance and localized pressure drops. So far our CFD numbers look very good. The final shapes are all determined by this analysis and the local area we have to fit the parts.

I will submit a quote for the Intake system once we have all of the issues resolved. The money you just sent will be divided amongst the two projects. Once finished the balance can be paid.

Nh

Old 02-06-2010, 01:10 PM
JDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of light
Chad, many thanks for the post on knocking, this thread is permanent on my "Favorites".
John

Old 02-08-2010, 07:15 AM
cjv
It has been about two weeks since the last update. I received the following from Performance Developments.

Chad,

Just doing the weekly task list. Monday should see all of the last parts fitted to your moched up engine and the final dimension checks done before we print the Plenums to use for the tooling.

The AC Compressor could be the only issue we may encounter. I did not have this before and Rob has just shipped this to us. Once this is done and checked it will take a 4-5 days to print everything. We have lower manifolds, left and right sides, Plenums left and right sides and the X over manifold. The calculations for printing show it will take almost 1 day to print each plenum side. Then we will moch up the engine with all of the printed parts, make any adjustments required, then they will given to the carbon people for mould making etc.

I'll talk to you this coming week.

Neil

Old 02-08-2010, 11:29 AM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
When are we going to hear this car crank, that is my question Chad Let's see some action soon.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:38 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by art4iza
When are we going to hear this car crank, that is my question Chad Let's see some action soon.
Art,

She will be first cranking on an engine dyno. The break in and tuning will be done on the engine dyno ......... probably in the next few weeks.

When will she be on the road? Late March to early April. Have you ever seen such a fast engine assembly in your life?

The top part of this motor is really off the chart. The dual injector manifolds and individual throttle bodies were fun. But this plenum is over the edge. You will just have to wait and see for yourself the throttle response.

Last edited by cjv; 02-08-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:04 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Anxiously waiting to see this part myself. Good stuff brotha.

Originally Posted by cjv
But this plenum is over the edge. You will just have to wait and see for yourself the throttle response.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:04 AM
JDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of light
Chad
it's been a while going through the details of this
amazing build; what kind of transmission can handle
all this power reliably?

Old 02-09-2010, 05:15 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by JDSStudios
Chad
it's been a while going through the details of this
amazing build; what kind of transmission can handle
all this power reliably?
JDSSudios,

The tranny was built up a few years back. All the gear ratios were were changed. The gears were also replaced with the wider RSR type gears. One of the shafts was rifle drilled to route oil directly to the upper case gears. All gears were friction coated. All syncro's were replaced with steel syncro's. The inside of the case was coated with an oil dispersant coating. The case was bored and an oil cooler was fitted. The tranny mounts are delrin.

In addition a Porsche steel billet RST LSD was added and reworked by Brian Copan.

The tranny is definitely stronger. I still doubt it would be up to the punishment this motor is capable of dishing out from a standing start. I believe it would handle any rolling starts.

Last edited by cjv; 05-02-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:01 AM
Former Vendor
stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

First post here. Thanks for sharing all the info on your project Chad.
Keep up the good work.

Best , Stef

Old 02-11-2010, 05:08 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by stef@europipe
First post here. Thanks for sharing all the info on your project Chad.
Keep up the good work.

Best , Stef
Stef,

Thanks for the kind words.

After all these years I can't believe we have the honor of your first post on 6speed. I can't say enough good things about you, your brother and your company Europipe.

If you had the time to read this thread you already know Europipe is our exhaust of choice. The Europipe exhaust will be on this 4.4L motor which will produce over 1000 hp @ 1 bar and well over 1600 hp @ 2.5 bar.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring