Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:50 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
The body is.
I'll see if I can find your car there tmrw.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:03 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flash68
I'll see if I can find your car there tmrw.
Say "hello" to KA (and Rob, Mark and Dee) for me. I haven't seen any of them in over three years.

Last edited by cjv; 03-20-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:04 AM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Chad, when do you think you guys would crank it up?

Old 03-21-2010, 01:04 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by art4iza
Chad, when do you think you guys would crank it up?
Art,

I've given up predicting. Frankly, I have forgotten what she looks like. Who would have ever thought when I took her apart in February 2004 ......... that she would still be apart today? The car will be tens years old with 7K miles.

I haven't been to see her at S Car Go Racing for over three years. I vowed not to go to another one of SCG's Christmas Party's until she was finished. With that being said I hope to go this year.

Now the motor is down at Performance Developments. They are working on the plenums, throttle bodies, injector manifold, knock system, new ECU and CD system. I thought this work would have been done by now ..... but it isn't. For the longest time we were waiting on parts. Now we have the parts and are waiting for assembly.

Last edited by cjv; 03-21-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
I think this needs to become a sticky!

Keep up the good work bud!

Old 03-28-2010, 12:28 AM
JDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of light
Syncros

Chad, you said earlier "...All syncro's were replaced with steel syncro's."

Why in the world doesn't Porsche put in steel sycncros to begin with??
Is it that much more expensive? It seems like many people like to upgrade
to steel.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:40 AM
cjv
Update

Chad,

It has been a huge mess here lately. I have so many ***** in the air, that
all I have felt I have been doing is "doing doughnuts in the dirt".

I have your project moving along with Japan asking for details as well.
Today it looks like we have turned the corner with the Linkage and motor
drive. I did not expect this to go smoothly, but I must confess I did not
expect it to be so involved. In any case, you have to take the good with the
bad. It's done now and it looks like the latest version is working really
well. Next week we will have a complete working piece and will check it all
again.

The engine is partly together. I rushed ahead and re assembled the heads
back on without cams etc, so we could re check the linkage. I expect next
week to get the engine fully together and awaiting the Intake parts.

I have attached some photos of an a replacement Axle/CV combo.
These are not cheap, but are far superior to the stock ones. With
everyone pushing high torque numbers, the axles are a weak link. Several
stock ones have failed. These will take the high torque and will never fail.
They are a 10 ceramic ball CV assy. Your gearbox output flanges are next.

Nh

Last edited by cjv; 04-02-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:44 AM
cjv
update

chad,

We have experienced bearing failure in another engine. We were using the
Clevite bearing as supplied for the 996 Turbo engine.

Analysis has shown this bearing is not up to the level of performance and
that the construction and materials used in this bearing are not designed
for this extreme use.

This was my dilemma last time we spoke. I was very concerned and uneasy
about the failure. I had told you this was something that put us in a tail
spin here. In the back of my mind I feared we may repeat this same failure
in your engine. I could not find anything wrong with either the components
or the assembly. I knew it had to be something like a bad bearing batch or
material choice. It was confirmed today by Clevite that the bearing we used
(same as supplied for your engine) was not up to the load produced in these
applications.

Therefore we are going to disassemble the engine and replace the bearings
with the other part number. I am glad this was found now and not after the
engine had run. The bearing is the same length and thickness at the
centerline wall and has the same eccentricity at the parting line. It also
comes in a X size which gives an additional 0.001" oil clearance. This is
important as these engines need that extra clearance.

I'll have these here next week and make the change.

Nh

Last edited by cjv; 04-02-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:32 AM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
All I have to say is this will all be worth it Chad. NH is a good guy and does wonders. I am still amazed on how he tweaked the heads on my motor Dual injectors and many more stuff on that bad boy will be nutts

Old 04-01-2010, 07:27 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by art4iza
All I have to say is this will all be worth it Chad. NH is a good guy and does wonders. I am still amazed on how he tweaked the heads on my motor Dual injectors and many more stuff on that bad boy will be nutts
Art,

We have been trading information with a motor being done in Japan. We have both been freely exchanging our failures as the builds and testing have progressed.

A problem recently surfaced with the NASCAR oval rod bearings. The Clevite 1271 material was not the cause of the tear down after the engine dyno testing, however there was a certain issue found with the bearing that would have lead to a much bigger issue later.

Clivite was consulted and it was discovered the 1271 material was not recommended when certain power levels were being exceeded. We were using the 1271 material in our build. We are now in the process of changing the bearing material as noted in the above post.

The dual injectors were required because we will be running 30% more fuel than a motor of comparable hp would require. I know you have read this thread. We have been dyno testing for some time now. Remember me saying our head temps were 800 degrees lower than a regular 996tt? We are not running regular gas. Our octane is 120 plus. Our power will easily exceed 1600 hp. Our issue will be what the case will endure. The case concerns is the reason we commissioned Link to design our knock system to detect and all but eliminate detonation. I really believe 2000 hp with 1800 fpt could be in the cards.

Last edited by cjv; 04-01-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:34 PM
cjv
The axles are extremely light .... will not break. They are designed by an F1 team. Very expensive at $13,000.00 per set.

Last edited by cjv; 05-02-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:49 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
So is your car staying AWD?

Old 04-02-2010, 07:26 AM
cjv
Originally Posted by germeezy1
So is your car staying AWD?
Yes ..... with some upgrades and modifications.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:09 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
That was kind of a joke, with the kind of power your planning on making having you considered a dual rear wheel setup?

Old 04-02-2010, 05:04 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by germeezy1
That was kind of a joke, with the kind of power your planning on making having you considered a dual rear wheel setup?
For sometime we could not find a front differencial that would do what we wanted and handle the power. We considered using the Porsche 997tt PMT front differencial, however it would not handle our power.

It took sometime, but we finally found a company that could provide a front unit for our applications. The company's name is Xtrac. http://www.xtrac.com/

Last edited by cjv; 04-02-2010 at 09:50 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring