Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:30 PM
JDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by cjv
Sorry, I have received the drawings (which I can't post) but not the video's. Will post video as soon as I receive.

My friend used to say, "Never be sorry, be helpful"

Old 04-25-2010, 12:26 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I wish Performance Developments would be a little more "helpful" and deliver the video as promised.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:00 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
OK ...... I have everything now. I am not going to post the video, but frame shots of the video. This plenum, due to the design of it's exact shape and dimensions is fully balanced to all runners ...... flow wise. The following is the "snap shot" of the flow as well as the mold being sent to the carbon fiber manufacturer for final production. We have left off the flanges at the end of each runner where they mate to the throttle bodies and dual injector manifolds. Pics of the total product will appear later.

Recently the forums have addressed using the larger 82 mm throttle body. This TB has an area of 5281 square mm's of area coverage. As a comparison our six TB's have a 10,857 square mm area. Over twice the area of the 82 mm TB while at the same time eliminating turbulence and the resulting variances in cylinder charge.

Now a little about the person and company commissioned to design and produce this part for Killer Angel's 1500 plus hp motor:

Neil Harvey founded performance Developments and Engine Design in 1990. Performance Developments has become a leader in prototype engine design and development.

Performance Developments has an impressive list of customers worldwide. As well as prototyping, Performance Developments has a reputation for quality engine rebuilding.

Neil Harvey brings to Performance Developments credentials and experience, which include Formula 1, Cart, Sports cars, GT, SCCA Pro racing and SCORE off road. As a member of a team with 2 Formula 1 world championships, 1981 and 1983, Neil gained impressive knowledge of design and the requirements for winning.

Performance Developments has over 49 total years of racing experience. Whether its rebuilding a stock engine of developing high performance, Performance Developments is committed to quality. I am often asked why Performance Developments costs are higher than some other companies. To provide you with the very best we can, we are obligated to spend time (Labor), and provide components that will meet the required performance and reliability.

Prototyping and high performance engines require a lot of time and expensive parts. Unfortunately many required parts of quality are not available "over the counter." Performance Developments designs and manufactures these parts if necessary. We also believe that your engine should not only perform the best, it should look the best. We spend much time in presentation, so that you will feel proud of your investment.

Note, where the Y pipe traditionally entered with one pipe that merged into the single throttle body. PD's design has no TD there and replaces the Y pipe with two oval pipes. One pipe coming from each intercooler/turbo. There is no MAF as all the MAF's were found are limited to 1200 hp utility. We are instead using Speed Density. The six 48 mm throttle bodies will individually attach to each runner and directly under each TB will be a PD designed dual injector manifold.

This product will soon become available to anyone with an interest. Our system addresses the KA Plenum which fits into the existing 996tt engine confines, six throttle bodies, two servo motors for linkage, linkage, two dual injector manifolds and fuel rails.

Last edited by cjv; 02-07-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:28 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
OK ...... I have everything now. I am not going to post the video, but frame shots of the video. This plenum due to it's exact shape is full balanced. The following is the "snap shot" of the flow as well as the mold being set to the carbon fiber manufacturer for final production. We have left off the flanges at the end of each runner where they mate to the throttle bodies and dual injector manifolds.

Now a little about the person and company that I commissioned to design and produce this part for Killer Angel:

Neil Harvey founded performance Developments and Engine Design in 1990. Performance Developments has become a leader in prototype engine design and development.

Performance Developments has an impressive list of customers worldwide. As well as prototyping, Performance Developments has a reputation for quality engine rebuilding.

Neil Harvey brings to Performance Developments credentials and experience, which include Formula 1, Cart, Sports cars, GT, SCCA Pro racing and SCORE off road. As a member of a team with 2 Formula 1 world championships, 1981 and 1983, Neil gained impressive knowledge of design and the requirements for winning.

Performance Developments has over 49 total years of racing experience. Whether its rebuilding a stock engine of developing high performance, Performance Developments is committed to quality. I am often asked why Performance Developments costs are higher than some other companies. To provide you with the very best we can, we are obligated to spend time (Labor), and provide components that will meet the required performance and reliability.

Prototyping and high performance engines require a lot of time and expensive parts. Unfortunately many required parts of quality are not available "over the counter." Performance Developments designs and manufactures these parts if necessary. We also believe that your engine should not only perform the best, it should look the best. We spend much time in presentation, so that you will feel proud of your investment.

It is important to understand these requirements, and to know that if it were possible for us to do it differently, we would. Our experience and knowledge gained in many areas of motor sport, over many years is all we can draw upon.

[
Wow Dan just sent me an email about this... Truly wicked stuff!

Last edited by cjv; 02-07-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:17 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by sharkster
Wow Dan just sent me an email about this... Truly wicked stuff!

Alex,

The R&D and design has been done on KA. This product will soon become available for a lot less to anyone who wants it. It is my belief that motor response will be greatly improved and the current 1000 to 1200 hp ceiling will be shattered.

Our final assembly is currently in progress.

Last edited by cjv; 04-26-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:26 PM
cjv
Outside of the unique shapes changes throughout the complete plenum ...... notice the calculated distance and length of angles between the webbing of the individual runners. Also note how intake to plenum to center goes from narrower to wider and center to heads goes from wider to narrower. All of this was required to achieve a balanced flow to each cylinder.

Some have talked about these motors being pulsed, this may be true, however pulsed by itself does not achieve balance with all cylinders and without balance you are looking at a glass ceiling power wise.

Last edited by cjv; 05-10-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:44 PM
GT700 is a splendid one to beholdGT700 is a splendid one to beholdGT700 is a splendid one to beholdGT700 is a splendid one to beholdGT700 is a splendid one to beholdGT700 is a splendid one to beholdGT700 is a splendid one to beholdGT700 is a splendid one to behold
Chad,

You are a patient man! Completion should be in 5 to 10 years?

I hope it turns out awesome for you!

Old 04-26-2010, 12:56 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by GT700
Chad,

You are a patient man! Completion should be in 5 to 10 years?

I hope it turns out awesome for you!
It has been down since February 2004. With the exception of the ECU, Knock Control and CD system everything has been looked at and addressed. The motor has been assembled, tested and modified a number of times.

We are currently doing the final assembly, the CD system/coils are being tested and Link is scheduled to deliver the ECU and anti knock product within weeks.

I believe the car will be doing road tests before the end of June 2010.

The latest detour ........ the plenum was suppose to take 30 days and will end up taking over 180 days to final product. I believe PD was turned loose in early December.

Last edited by cjv; 04-26-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:42 PM
cjv
Here is some other things we discovered as it relates to charged air being turned or bent and negative areas in the piping. Conventional wisdom has been to use round tubing (a la turbo compressor to throttle body). If you use oval tubing to bend the charged air with the oval going length wise along the tangent of the bend or turn ...... what do you think happens?

Last edited by cjv; 05-14-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:05 PM
QTC
QTC is a glorious beacon of lightQTC is a glorious beacon of lightQTC is a glorious beacon of lightQTC is a glorious beacon of lightQTC is a glorious beacon of light
I have a question for the engineer who design it.

The software use for fluid dynamic analysis is SolidWorks Flow Simulation isn't it ??

And does he uses a other software as Fluent to design this part.

I always looking for to compare my work method with other engineer.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:43 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by QTC
I have a question for the engineer who design it.

The software use for fluid dynamic analysis is SolidWorks Flow Simulation isn't it ??

And does he uses a other software as Fluent to design this part.

I always looking for to compare my work method with other engineer.
QTC,

I do not want to be carrying questions and answers back a forth as the meaning can be lost in between. I believe you would be better served if you asked your questions directly to Neil Harvey. I know he loves to discuss these things. Just tell him you are following Chad's project and have some questions if he doesn't mind.

Neil can be contacted at info@performancedevelopments.com

Last edited by cjv; 04-26-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:51 PM
cjv
New plenum development for our favorite motor.

........ the 996tt. I wanted to share our new plenum development.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2816875

Your comments please.

Last edited by cjv; 04-26-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:31 PM
QTC
QTC is a glorious beacon of lightQTC is a glorious beacon of lightQTC is a glorious beacon of lightQTC is a glorious beacon of lightQTC is a glorious beacon of light
email sent

thank for your help

Old 04-26-2010, 04:40 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by QTC
email sent

thank for your help
Please let me know if your questions are answered.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:27 PM
cjv
The evolution of plenums for the 996tt motor? It hasn't been until now that a balanced cylinder flow plenum without dead spots has been achieved.

Last edited by cjv; 08-31-2020 at 11:08 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring