Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Neither gas or diesel.

Redline is 9K. She picks up a little less than 400 more hp by 7800 rpm's when power levels off and slightly tapers due to turbo's over boosting.

you sound like a porsche spokesman quoting horsepower. At 4k it is 1k hp. (fine print: at 7800 rpm it is 1400 hp)

Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
you sound like a porsche spokesman quoting horsepower. At 4k it is 1k hp. (fine print: at 7800 rpm it is 1400 hp)
What can you do when the turbo's are max'ed and the GT42R's come with a little too much lag for our applications.

Last edited by cjv; 10-11-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:20 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
didn't mention .... [B]the case was align bored to an almost zero tolerance to improve balance and shuffle pinned to prevent any crank movement.

Last edited by cjv; 02-07-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:34 PM
cjv
I cannot show pictures because of other things that could be picked up by a sharp eye ...... but the wrist pins on the pistons are not in the center of the piston as is the norm. The wrist pins are offset on the piston (opposite side for each bank) so as to obtain a perfect motor centerline. Believe it or not, this provides "horsepower/torque from heaven" as well as a much smoother motor at high rpm's.

Last edited by cjv; 10-11-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:41 AM
0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cjv
I cannot show pictures because of other things that could be picked up by a sharp eye ...... but the wrist pins on the pistons are not in the center of the piston as is the norm. The wrist pins are offset on the piston (opposite side for each bank) so as to obtain a perfect motor centerline. Believe it or not, this provides "horsepower/torque from heaven" as well as a much smoother motor at high rpm's.

Pretty soon PAG will be calling you for advice

Old 10-12-2010, 10:28 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Those numbers are at one bar, what about at 1.5 bar?

Old 10-12-2010, 05:17 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by germeezy1
Those numbers are at one bar, what about at 1.5 bar?
Everything, including the fuel system is designed and built for 50 inches. The current turbo's are useless above 35 inches, however the response is everything we asked for.

The challenge now is ....... how much power we can connect to the ground in the first four or five gears. I have watched all the different monster builds over the last two years. They go rwd with LSD or use LSD rear and the stock front differential/viscous coupling. In my way of looking at this .......... a lot of power is wasted short of high speeds in 5th or 6th gear. I really don't intend to spend much time in these two gears in the upper rpm levels.

Given the way this car is geared and redlines....... first gear will take it beyond 70 mph, second will take it to just under 120 and the top of third will have it close to the speeds the current top Porsche 1/4 milers are trapping. You send up front 400 to 500 ponies and make them stick and i believe the 996tt's will raise to a new level of performance. Time will tell.

Bottom line is if all goes as planned there won't really be much use for anything near 1.5 bar.

Last edited by cjv; 10-12-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:34 PM
cjv
It appears we have made a decision regarding the front drivetrain. It turned out to be far more involved than I imagined.

We have obtained a used differential case, inboard and outboard flanges, CV joint and axles. For those who are not familiar with the differential case it is comprised of the rear half which contains the viscous coupling and the front half which contains the differential. Although the transmission transfers equal power to the front and rear differentials ...... the fluid viscous coupling through designed slippage only allows about fifty foot pounds of torque to the front wheels. Hugh waste of hp and torque.

What we intend to accomplish and I say intend because this will be a one off build that to our knowledge has not been done before.

The case will be stripped down to the case and the internals scrapped or used as parts for someone who needs to repair a stock front differential. The parts/gears will be custom make for essentially two adjustable LSD's. The rear one where the viscous coupling was and the front one where the stock front differential was. Similar to a ramp style unit. The new LSD unit is being designed to handle a minimum of 500 foot pounds of torque. The inner and outer flanges, axles and CV joints will be redesigned and manufactured to our requirements.

This new component will make Killer Angel exponentially quicker in both acceleration and cornering than a car (996tt/GT2/GT3) with stock awd or rwd.

The cost of this one off will be approximately 20K. If anyone is interested in participating, please contact me as the costs can come down some with multiple units. It will require approximately 120 days for delivery.

Last edited by cjv; 10-13-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:17 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by 0396
Pretty soon PAG will be calling you for advice
I don't believe there is a class in which it would be legal ...... unlimited ...... maybe? With the exception of the 965 liner oilers I don't believe there is a Porsche part or stock Porsche part in the motor.

Last edited by cjv; 10-13-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
It appears we have made a decision regarding the front drivetrain. It turned out to be far more involved than I imagined.

We have obtained a used differential case, inboard and outboard flanges, CV joint and axles. For those who are not familiar with the differential case it is comprised of the rear half which contains the viscous coupling and the front half which contains the differential. Although the transmission transfers equal power to the front and rear differentials ...... the fluid viscous coupling through designed slippage only allows about fifty foot pounds of torque to the front wheels. Hugh waste of hp and torque.

What we intend to accomplish and I say intend because this will be a one off build that to our knowledge has not been done before.

The case will be stripped down to the case and the internals scrapped or used as parts for someone who needs to repair a stock front differential. The parts/gears will be custom make for essentially two adjustable LSD's. The rear one where the viscous coupling was and the front one where the stock front differential was. Similar to a ramp style unit. The new LSD unit is being designed to handle a minimum of 500 foot pounds of torque. The inner and outer flanges, axles and CV joints will be redesigned and manufactured to our requirements.

This new component will make Killer Angel exponentially quicker in both acceleration and cornering than a car (996tt/GT2/GT3) with stock awd or rwd.

The cost of this one off will be approximately 20K. If anyone is interested in participating, please contact me as the costs can come down some with multiple units. It will require approximately 120 days for delivery.
I do not know much about your build or even what you are building( only read your last two post on this thread) but if I remember right the 993 front drive is built much stronger. The flanges are bigger and the axles too. The viscous coupling is in the trans on those cars so you would need to find some room to fit and secure the second lsd (the 500 ft lb limit one).

I tried took apart the stock 996 drive, removed the viscous coupler and cut it open. Then welded it back up and reinstalled it. I was running the stock size front tires and left the diff open of course.. The car was out of control to say the least.. I am sure that if you get the tire size and the torque limit right it would make for one bad *** ride. What about the center diff being electromagnetically controlled? That way you can tailor the power for each track or road condition's.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:34 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
I do not know much about your build or even what you are building( only read your last two post on this thread) but if I remember right the 993 front drive is built much stronger. The flanges are bigger and the axles too. The viscous coupling is in the trans on those cars so you would need to find some room to fit and secure the second lsd (the 500 ft lb limit one).

I tried took apart the stock 996 drive, removed the viscous coupler and cut it open. Then welded it back up and reinstalled it. I was running the stock size front tires and left the diff open of course.. The car was out of control to say the least.. I am sure that if you get the tire size and the torque limit right it would make for one bad *** ride. What about the center diff being electromagnetically controlled? That way you can tailor the power for each track or road condition's.
Tim,

You are spot on regarding the 993tt front differential. By the time we deal with the viscous coupling and case along with making it fit we would be into it for a lot more money. In addition, we would be carrying a lot more weight up front.

We looked into electromagnetically controlled units ....... we could not find any up to the task of handling the 500 hp/torque numbers.

Last edited by cjv; 10-14-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
I did a very little looking around and came up with little too. Industrial equipment had some leads though. I do not like relying on one off parts that take months to have reproduced or thousands to have sitting on the shelf if you do not need it.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:50 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
I did a very little looking around and came up with little too. Industrial equipment had some leads though. I do not like relying on one off parts that take months to have reproduced or thousands to have sitting on the shelf if you do not need it.
If you find something concrete ....... I'm all ears.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by cjv; 10-14-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:35 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Everything, including the fuel system is designed and built for 50 inches. The current turbo's are useless above 35 inches, however the response is everything we asked for.

The challenge now is ....... how much power we can connect to the ground in the first four or five gears. I have watched all the different monster builds over the last two years. They go rwd with LSD or use LSD rear and the stock front differential/viscous coupling. In my way of looking at this .......... a lot of power is wasted short of high speeds in 5th or 6th gear. I really don't intend to spend much time in these two gears in the upper rpm levels.

Given the way this car is geared and redlines....... first gear will take it beyond 70 mph, second will take it to just under 120 and the top of third will have it close to the speeds the current top Porsche 1/4 milers are trapping. You send up front 400 to 500 ponies and make them stick and i believe the 996tt's will raise to a new level of performance. Time will tell.

Bottom line is if all goes as planned there won't really be much use for anything near 1.5 bar.
On 4 big R compounds or drag radials, with the amount of torque and boost response and the power being handled by the AWD system this car is going to make a Veyron seems like a high school science project!

Old 10-16-2010, 12:07 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by germeezy1
On 4 big R compounds or drag radials, with the amount of torque and boost response and the power being handled by the AWD system this car is going to make a Veyron seems like a high school science project!
Going for the biggest rear tire size with a close match to the front will no longer be the game plan.

Since the power will now be divided between all four tires fairly equally, the important issue will be to match the rolling diameters of all four wheels. WE had been running 12.5's in the rear and 10.0's in the front. Not sure what we are going to utilize now.

Last edited by cjv; 10-16-2010 at 12:09 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring