Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:56 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flash68
I applaud the attitude and patience, Chad. I guess there is no choice.

I, however, am not a patient man.
flash,

I do enjoy laying out the theory on paper and then testing the theory which we have done in several areas. I know this sounds a bit crazy, but if you look at the last paragraph in Dave Colman's May 2004 Excellence article about KA ....... he hints that I am just that.

I have not missed out on any fun by not having this car to drive as other fun cars are available. Though driving it after all this time would be rewarding. The thought has crossed my mind more than once to simply gather up all the parts and just put them in a warehouse as it has been frustrating at times. Approaching seven years down time has amounted to almost forgetting that I even have a 996tt.

With that said ...... it is getting very close to final completion. The motor is finished and tested. The final revision of the plenum, dual injector manifold, 6-48 mm throttle bodies, linkage, servo motors and fuel rails will be delivered by December 1st. This one item has taken thirteen months from conception , to build to final build. The fuel system will be completed this week. The front differential should be completed by April, but the car can can be run while we wait as we purchased a spare.

The only decision left to make is the final engine management. We have looked at (1) Motec with Motec dash and Porsche ECU. (2) Link with Motec dash and Porsche ECU and the (3) Porsche ECU. If we go with the first it would be Loren Beggs and 911 Design. If we go with the second it would be a combination of Neil Harvey with Performance Developments and Todd Knighten at Protomotive. If we go with the third it will be Todd Knighten at Protomotive. The third choice would require going back to one injector per cylinder and one servo motor to operate the linkage instead of two (this would require a small change in the linkage). It will be interesting as those putting together the proposals have come up with some pretty interesting engine management concepts.

Will the wait be worth it? I sure hope so, however then again please don't laugh too hard if it becomes a disappointment.

Last edited by cjv; 11-21-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:07 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
I'm glad that you're finally considering running stand-alone seeing that you didn't always think this way before. My "journey" with your car started in rennlist back in 2002 and its still on going now.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Quantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond repute
Anything new going on Chad?

Old 12-07-2010, 05:11 PM
JDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of light
Chad, might there be a relation between the horse power you want in this
engine, and the number of pages in this thread?
Cause I think you were aiming for 1200 horse power or so, and we are
only at 249 pages. Just saying...

Old 12-09-2010, 04:56 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
I'm glad that you're finally considering running stand-alone seeing that you didn't always think this way before. My "journey" with your car started in rennlist back in 2002 and its still on going now.
03-turbo911,

I really did not want to go with the stand alone because currently my main residence in California.

When we went to the dual linkage servo motors and dual injectors we finally ran across two items the Porsche ECU could not handle on be made to handle.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:01 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Quantum
Anything new going on Chad?
Quantum,

The front differential is running into delay problems because one offs usually take a back sat to the regular bread a butter items.

SCar Go is working on the fuel system. Performance Developments was suppose to have delivered the intake system on December 1st. I just spoke to Neil today and he will be giving be a solid update tomorrow.

The motor is at S Car Go and it will be on display in their dyno room for their Christmas Party this coming Saturday.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:12 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by JDSStudios
Chad, might there be a relation between the horse power you want in this
engine, and the number of pages in this thread?
Cause I think you were aiming for 1200 horse power or so, and we are
only at 249 pages. Just saying...
JDSStudios,

Sorry, but no relation.

We already know what the motor can and will produce. It can produce in excess of 1800 hp on an engine dyno with GT42R turbo's. These same turbo's would not work for the track as the response time is too great.

We will be loading GT35R turbo's and their response time with this engine's displacement is better than modified K16's. The GT35's will be working in their sweet spot at full output capacity. 1200+ hp will be very attainable.

The biggest difference this motor will have compared to other motor's using GT35's will be response time and quickness. It will make more torque and hp starting at lower rpm's and carry farther up the rpm range. In other words it should get from point A to point B a lot quicker.

Last edited by cjv; 12-09-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
JDSStudios,

Sorry, but no relation.

We already know what the motor can and will produce. It can produce in excess of 1800 hp on an engine dyno with GT42R turbo's. These same turbo's would not work for the track as the response time is too great.

We will be loading GT35R turbo's and their response time with this engine's displacement is better than modified K16's. The GT35's will be working in their sweet spot at full output capacity. 1200+ hp will be very attainable.

The biggest difference this motor will have compared to other motor's using GT35's will be response time and quickness. It will make more torque and hp starting at lower rpm's and carry farther up the rpm range. In other words it should get from point A to point B a lot quicker.
Speaking of 7 years ago and getting a ride... I remember getting one I'm always down for round 2:P

Old 12-11-2010, 10:25 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by sharkster
Speaking of 7 years ago and getting a ride... I remember getting one I'm always down for round 2:P
Alex,

I getting tired of guessing the final completion date, but for what it is worth everything but the front differential should be completed by March 1st.

So ....... you are ready for another leisurely sight seeing touring of Mt. Hamilton?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Has it hit the dyno yet Chad?

Great work, love the effort and passion.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:21 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
Has it hit the dyno yet Chad?

Great work, love the effort and passion.
Engine dyno yes. Chassis dyno no. S Car Go now has the motor and is awaiting Performance Developments to deliver the plug in wire harness pieces to mate the ECU, Link and Motec dash together.

The existing wiring harness will not be spliced. Existing plug ends are being utilized.

Last edited by cjv; 12-15-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:10 PM
cjv
Update:

I spoke with Neil @ Performance Developments today and was informed the carbon fiber plenum has been completed. The linkage, fuel rails, six 48 mm throttle bodies and dual injector (12 injector) manifold has already be completed. The parts are now being sent to S Car Go Racing so they can complete their work.

Once S Car Go finishes their work the complete motor will be returned to Performance Developments for the final engine dyno work.

Neil is about finished with the layout and detailing of the plug in wire harness diagrams. Hopefully the work on those pieces can be completed in January. This work is required for the Motec dash and Link Management System. The Link will control all motor junctions, dual injectors, dual linkage servo motors, nitrous, traction control and all boost management control. It is important to note Neil has been working with Todd of Protomotive for integrating the Link with the Porsche ECU. Todd will do the final chassis dyno testing.

We are eliminating the Porsche PSM and 996tt antilock. The Porsche Cup antilock system will be installed which is exponentially faster than the 996tt antilock system.

I am now looking forward to completion by early Spring.

Last edited by cjv; 12-20-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:24 PM
cjv
Update:

The layout of the wiring harness is complete. Looking at the costs of milspec versus standard plugs and wiring as used by Porsche. A decision will be made early next week regarding the cost comparison.

Last edited by cjv; 12-26-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:44 AM
JDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of lightJDSStudios is a glorious beacon of light
Hey Chad, what was the decision?
Something tells me that 2011 we will see KA completed.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:21 AM
cjv
We have experienced a a bit of a delay.

Apparently a wrong key was hit and the intake manifold was built exactly four inches too wide overall.

One embarrassing mistake. I can't do anything but smile and have the correct one remade. Sometimes it is good just to step back and laugh at yourself.

Last edited by cjv; 02-24-2011 at 07:32 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring