Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 04-24-2004, 08:16 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
The new turbo's arrived today. The old hybrid KKK/Garrett turbo's are now for sale at S Car Go Racing. They have about 600 miles on them.

Since the engine, transmission and driveline is out of the car we decided to have these parts and the complete undercarriage cleaned and detailed.

Old 04-27-2004, 04:03 AM
Banned
sticky is infamous around these parts
How much power were the old turbo's good for?

Old 04-27-2004, 08:14 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Without nitrous and on a 3.6 L stock internals.....626 rwhp was the trophy run. You don't get to this number on these turbo's alone.

Old 04-29-2004, 12:37 PM
cjv
S Car Go Racing 1000 HP Clutch for KA

It kind of makes me wonder how a single disc clutch and the Sachs pressure plate ever put all that power to the ground.....it probably never did. I wonder where the weak link is now?

Last edited by cjv; 04-29-2004 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:44 AM
cjv
I was talking to a JRZ distributor yesterday. He said JRZ was bought by Proton, however they still will be sold as JRZ in the US. I also found out I can have my JRZ three way adjustables updated to four way adjustables by simply changing the shafts.

I couldn't resist.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:14 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
sweet, that's an easy upgrade

Old 04-30-2004, 11:31 AM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
I'm curious what the 4 adjustments are? Are high and low velocity damping separately adjustable?

Old 05-01-2004, 07:56 AM
cjv
The controls are high and low speed in both compression and rebound.

Old 05-01-2004, 01:42 PM
carnut is infamous around these parts
Chad-
I've been following your project for a couple of years (previous username: caneaddict - forgot my password). Thank you for all the great information you have provided. However, I'm surprised by the direction you have chosen to take.

When you first started, you mentioned that one of your greatest motivations was to offer open information because you were so frustrated by the secrecy of the big tuners. They all offered HP numbers but no info on what was done to get there. You are now doing the opposite by offering the process but not the result (numbers). I know that every time numbers are mentioned there is a dispute because of different dyno's and conditions. But, I still don't understand your secrecy with respect to your numbers.

You say that after the project is done you would be willing to go against other modified Turbo's and GT2's (you may be joking about that?). But, given your history, I don't think you intend on ever allowing KA to be tested in a comparative situation. You chose not to compete in the fall shootout because you said that you wanted to set up a more objective professional event in the spring that would bring together the top tuners - how's that coming? You were offered a chance to compete in the Road and Track shootout (can't get much more professional or find much better tuners), yet you still chose not to attend because you don't want to ship your car to Michigan (you would probably send KA to China for a few months if you thought you could get an extra 5 hp).

None of this is meant to be derogatory. Just the opposite. I appreciate everything that you have done and like many others, I would love to get a chance to see this great machine compete against the best!

Old 05-01-2004, 03:12 PM
cjv
carnut,

There is alot of truth in what you say. I really enjoyed sharing information and we did alot of that. I'm going to try and explain this and excuse me if I don't get it right. This is simply my personel view.

In the beginning, little was known about the 996tt and 500 hp was a magical number. Modifications were very expensive and the actual costs to the tuners were not. Once the knowledge became available power became cheaper to a point. Kind of like picking all the low fruit on a tree. As we continued along, each additional hp became geometrically more expensive and I believe most people really lost interest. I also found that instead of running someone and just being able to talk about it after, it took on a far more serious and competitive mood. Plain and simple ......
it wasn't fun anymore.

It's funny, but I still take her out in the evenings for runs, go to an auto cross, drag strip or track in my local area and don't discuss power but will talk about the modifications. People who have watched her run know she's fast and as long as their is no power yard stick to contineously compare with, egos are left at home and eveyone has a good time. If someone privately asks questions as to what certain modifications work I have always shared this information along with where they can get the parts.

Regarding another event.... I understand this is still up and coming. It is being handled by Irene Kimmel of WebQueen Designs. I'll see if I can obtain some additional information.

Last edited by cjv; 05-01-2004 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:00 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
carnut,

There is alot of truth in what you say. I really enjoyed sharing information and we did alot of that. I'm going to try and explain this and excuse me if I don't get it right. This is simply my personel view.

In the beginning, little was known about the 996tt and 500 hp was a magical number. Modifications were very expensive and the actual costs to the tuners were not. Once the knowledge became available power became cheaper to a point. Kind of like picking all the low fruit on a tree. As we continued along, each additional hp became geometrically more expensive and I believe most people really lost interest. I also found that instead of running someone and just being able to talk about it after, it took on a far more serious and competitive mood. Plain and simple ......
it wasn't fun anymore.

It's funny, but I still take her out in the evenings for runs, go to an auto cross, drag strip or track in my local area and don't discuss power but will talk about the modifications. People who have watched her run know she's fast and as long as their is no power yard stick to contineously compare with, egos are left at home and eveyone has a good time. If someone privately asks questions as to what certain modifications work I have always shared this information along with where they can get the parts.

Regarding another event.... I understand this is still up and coming. It is being handled by Irene Kimmel of WebQueen Designs. I'll see if I can obtain some additional information.
Heya CJV, I'm finally hoping to button up the car on Monday (hoping) with the GT2 stuff so after that's done I'll be able to hit the track wiv ya

Old 05-02-2004, 03:49 AM
cjv
sharkster,

I should have KA back next week. We'll have to plan something.

Carnut,

I just spoke with an associate of Irene's. They are looking to holding the event in July. Should have some additional information soon.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:17 AM
carnut is infamous around these parts
thanks Chad
Can't wait to see KA in action - I will definately try to make it wherever the event will be held!

Old 05-05-2004, 09:46 AM
cjv
The bar is being raised again! Opps.... in more ways than one. I believe S Car Go Racing has done it again! With new head studs and special head gaskets we're good for 1.8 bar.

These turbo's in combination with the clutch, gearing, axles and cv joints are really going to be interesting.

Last edited by cjv; 05-05-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:19 AM
cjv

Last edited by cjv; 05-07-2004 at 10:24 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring