6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Tuning/Modifications (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tuning-modifications-27/)
-   -   KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tuning-modifications/1112-ka-memory-my-mom-vincee-best-friend-michael-j-maring.html)

Hamann7 05-16-2004 01:34 AM

Fikse wheels are notoriously fragile.

That's why I would prefer Kinesis or BBS.

cjv 05-16-2004 06:59 AM

Originally posted by Hamann7
Fikse wheels are notoriously fragile.

That's why I would prefer Kinesis or BBS.

OK, who else has split their Fikse wheels? :confused:

Hamann7 05-16-2004 07:07 AM

Ask who else had cracked or bent their Fikse wheels and you will get far more responses!

cjv 05-16-2004 08:53 AM

Tyson, destruction derby's don't count.;) That's why bending them doesn't count either.:)

cjv 05-16-2004 09:09 AM

Originally posted by cjv
Tyson, destruction derby's don't count.;) That's why bending them doesn't count either.:)
BBS mags have their own problems for the street (center piece cracks). Can't compare the one piece forged units as the out of the box sizes just aren't wide enough.

I do prefer the BBS mags, they are lighter but won't last long on the street. Less life than the light Fikse's.:(

cjv 05-16-2004 11:27 AM

Went over to Akkurat for a tech session on detailing this morning. George has a very nice facility and it was a good turnout. While there sharkster demonstrated his ability in removing the nose on a 996tt (less than 20 minutes) and then removed the 5 mph bumper. This front aluminum brace along with the two shock absorbers have to weigh 25-30 pounds. :eek:

With my Techart II front bumper I'm not sure this is really offering much protection and ditching thirty pounds off the front of the car so easily sounds very interesting. :cool:

nman413 05-16-2004 01:06 PM

Those Forgeline wheels look really interesting.

jro 05-16-2004 01:35 PM

Hey Chad, great stuff! My Fikses are fine, no problems.

cjv 05-17-2004 12:52 PM

John,

Good to hear from you again. :D This is my second set of Fikse's. I like them because they are so light. :cool: Definitely not a wheel for an abusive driver. I hope KA's power isn't going to be a problem for them. We'll find out soon enough.

cjv 05-20-2004 09:22 AM

The other day sharkster showed me at the Akkurat get together a way to eliminate 25-30 pounds by removing the front five mph bar and shock absorbers. I liked everything he did with the exception of not placing a metal blank/sealant over the hole left by the removal of the absorber. I would blank this off to prevent water from entering the inner tube frame. I am going to have some light stainless steel blanks made with a laser cutter.

The other day sharkster started asking some questions about the rear bumper. That started me thinking. I had S Car Go Racing remove my rear bumper today and I went over to take a look. The rear bar and absorbers can be removed rather easily. I looked at the hole on the exterior bumper. It was a very neat cut out on the left and the same identical cut out on the right with the exception of a one inch half hole/circle on the right side (for warts). This looked like a one inch prefabed hole for a light etc..

I've decided to use a laser cutter and have some air vents made to match these cut outs. Between both of these bumpers, approx. seventy pounds and can be eliminated. A 3100 pound 996tt. :cool:

Alex, can I borrow one of your front shock absorbers to get a measurement to make a cover? I don't want to pull everything apart right now. I can make you a set at the same time.:)

I'll post some pics when this is completed. :)

sharkster 05-20-2004 09:51 AM

Heya Chad, that sounds great! Let's hook up.. I have one in my trunk. We can meet up tomorrow if you like? The rear vents as such would be groovy. I looked at my cut and it didn't seem to bad. I was hoping it wasn't like on the front of the 996tt's with the bumperettes.
Good point about a rubber snubber/seal.

jro 05-20-2004 10:02 AM

Hey Chad,

I had the new Michelin ps2s put on my car, and what a difference over the pirellis. Great traction, and far less noise. I will be back at the Carlsen dealer tomorrow morning since my ABS failure light is back on. I think I have a warped front rotor .

cjv 05-20-2004 10:20 AM

Originally posted by jro
Hey Chad,

I had the new Michelin ps2s put on my car, and what a difference over the pirellis. Great traction, and far less noise. I will be back at the Carlsen dealer tomorrow morning since my ABS failure light is back on. I think I have a warped front rotor .

jro,

I doubt if you have a warped rotor. I'll beat you have brake pad embeded in your rotor. This can be removed rather cheaply. :)

cjv 05-20-2004 10:23 AM

Originally posted by sharkster
Heya Chad, that sounds great! Let's hook up.. I have one in my trunk. We can meet up tomorrow if you like? The rear vents as such would be groovy. I looked at my cut and it didn't seem to bad. I was hoping it wasn't like on the front of the 996tt's with the bumperettes.
Good point about a rubber snubber/seal.

sharkster,

When do you want to meet?

jro 05-20-2004 10:26 AM

Good point. I'm assuming warped rotor. I get a fair amount of vibration, and the steering wheel shake when I brake. I am hoping for a quick solution.