Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 08-23-2004, 04:42 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I plan on being at the shoot out. I still haven't heard a thing though.

There are a few weak links. My next concern is the valve train. Not sure what your goals are and what RPM you are looking for.

Old 08-23-2004, 06:48 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by ebaker
Do you think a motor similar to yours WITHOUT nitrous would bend rods? I assume there are several people who have, or are considering, motors similar to your's, who are now paranoid. If the limit is 550-600 wheel HP what "stage" is that?
If the rods are bending at mid RPM when max torque/cylinder pressure is produced, should the midrange boost be limited a little to protect the (stock) rods?
If the rod bending is aggravated by the rapid drop in RPM when you dump the clutch might a heavier flywheel be protective?
ebaker,

You have to remember, alot of these guys have the wheel hp but they are not connecting it to the ground. Their tires are spinninng all over the place ..... which helps protect their motors, but what a waste of power.

It is my opinion any 996tt motor that exceeds 200 hp per liter at the crank should go to stronger rods. Free advise and it is worth exactly what it costs you.

Last edited by cjv; 08-23-2004 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:12 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by PorschePhD
I plan on being at the shoot out. I still haven't heard a thing though.

There are a few weak links. My next concern is the valve train. Not sure what your goals are and what RPM you are looking for.
Stephen,

The redline will be set at 7600 rpm's using 1.8 bar. We have slightly dropped the compression on our Wossner Pistons. The heads are from the GT3 Cup Motor . They will be ported and polished. The heads will be machined for triple metal o-rings for the head gaskets. The combustion chamber will be machined for the 104 mm liners. Then the combustion chambers, piston tops, exhaust ports, parts of the valves exposed to combustion will be thermal coated. The valve stems, GT3 Cup lifters, piston skirts and cam will be dry lube coated. The GT3R springs will be treated with a coating to dissapate heat as will the bottom of the aluminum injector manifold.

So now Stephen, where do you see a weak link?

Last edited by cjv; 08-23-2004 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:52 PM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
cjv car

Are your cars still awd or have you converted to rwd? If so, how does the front diff. hold up to all this power/torque?

Old 08-24-2004, 06:20 AM
cjv
Re: cjv car

Originally posted by NelsonF
Are your cars still awd or have you converted to rwd? If so, how does the front diff. hold up to all this power/torque?
NelsonF,

Killer Angel is awd. The front differencial is holding up very well. We installed a Tilton oil pump and a coil. The gears had a solid dry
dry film lubricant coating applied. Far less friction loss and it runs much cooler.

Old 08-24-2004, 07:08 AM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
front diff.

Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on how much power the front diff. can handle before modification is required or recommended?It appears that many of the record lap(N-ring) setting cars from Gemballa and Techart have gone to rear wheel drive. These cars are reportedly putting out approx 700hp.(crank?). Is this the threshhold before substantial mods are required or are they simply looking to save weight and/or improve handling dynamics?

Old 08-24-2004, 07:32 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Chad, does anyone make a different steering ratio for these cars? Have you changed that?

Old 08-24-2004, 08:59 AM
cjv
Re: front diff.

Originally posted by NelsonF
Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on how much power the front diff. can handle before modification is required or recommended?It appears that many of the record lap(N-ring) setting cars from Gemballa and Techart have gone to rear wheel drive. These cars are reportedly putting out approx 700hp.(crank?). Is this the threshhold before substantial mods are required or are they simply looking to save weight and/or improve handling dynamics?
Remember, a maximum of 40% of your power can be transfered to the front differencial. On top of that you lose additional power through the drive train.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:04 AM
cjv
Originally posted by Soon2be993tt
Chad, does anyone make a different steering ratio for these cars? Have you changed that?
Soon2be993tt,

I have never looked into that. My steering ratio is stock.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:10 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
Soon2be993tt,

I have never looked into that. My steering ratio is stock.
If you find out anything let me know. I have a co-worker w/ a 996 whose brother has a TT that would like some tighter steering.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:35 PM
cjv
I understand the new 997 has a tighter steering ratio.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:24 PM
I wonder if it would bolt up

Old 08-25-2004, 08:13 AM
K24madness is infamous around these parts
Just got a peek at your motor...

All of the rods look like they have athritis!!!

Old 08-25-2004, 08:33 AM
cjv

Last edited by cjv; 08-25-2004 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Banned
Neil@Orton is infamous around these parts
Chad how are you addressing the intercooler situation & what are you doing regarding the turbos getting enough air

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring