Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 12-03-2004, 08:13 PM
mclaren55 is infamous around these parts
How much do those pistons weigh compared to the stockers? Also, nice choice on the Pauter rod's, I used them for 4 years straight, no problems at all. Given, it was only on a car making 530whp (turbo 4 banger), nothing like you are planning on doing!

Old 12-03-2004, 08:45 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by mclaren55
How much do those pistons weigh compared to the stockers? Also, nice choice on the Pauter rod's, I used them for 4 years straight, no problems at all. Given, it was only on a car making 530whp (turbo 4 banger), nothing like you are planning on doing!
I honestly don't know. I will ask Rod to weigh them tomorrow and let me know. I will post the results.

Old 12-04-2004, 07:48 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
The last part to be completed is the case. We have it back. It has been aligned bored and shuffle pinned. It is currently being Boat Tailed and the windage around the bottom of the liner area is being modified. Will have pics as soon as this work is completed.

Old 12-04-2004, 09:23 PM
cjv
I thought I would share a direct comparison of some of the 996tt rods that I have used.

Ruf Titanium

Carillo

Pauter

Old 12-05-2004, 09:25 PM
cjv
I have decided to end the cjv/ s car go thread. It was fun while it lasted.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:30 PM
Banned
FAT-911 is infamous around these parts
WTF, why? I love this thread as I am sure that 99.99% percent of members here do as well...

Old 12-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Chad... wassup? We are just getting to the climax! You're going to leave me with blue *****?!?!?!? It's going to be tough finishing this one off by myself!

Old 12-06-2004, 06:41 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
# 1,000 (REPLY)!!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Captain Tal is infamous around these parts
Please, please do not delete this thread. It is amazing.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:57 PM
cjv
One more for those who haven't seen a 996tt case shuffle pinned, I'll share one last pic comparison. Bye.

Stock 996tt case.

A case that has been aligned bored and shuffle pinned.

The reason for doing this is to prevent the crank from moving under high hp/torque/rpm's. My case is currently being boat tailed.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:59 AM
lexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the rough
This thread was one of the major attractions of the 6speed board. I appreciated the expertise that was on display here. It was much more interesting (to me, at least) than a lot of the other stuff that is posted. I am disappointed that there won't be more.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by cjv
One more for those who haven't seen a 996tt case shuffle pinned, I'll share one last pic comparison. ...

The reason for doing this is to prevent the crank from moving under high hp/torque/rpm's. My case is currently being boat tailed.
So: Shuffle pinning is to prevent the case from shifting "horizonally". What's boat tailing?

Mike

Old 12-07-2004, 09:11 PM
cjv
Originally posted by Zippy
So: Shuffle pinning is to prevent the case from shifting "horizonally". What's boat tailing?

Mike
Mike,

Boat tailing is a process that provides for less windage in the case. The interior is polished and there is some cutting around the area of the lower cylinder liners (not the liners). Done properly, a little over twenty hp can be picked up due to less internal engine windage restriction. Somewhat along the same thought process as knife edging the crank.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:49 PM
cjv
Originally posted by mclaren55
How much do those pistons weigh compared to the stockers?
mclaren55,

The stock pistons weigh 558.6 grams each. The Woosner pistons weigh 550.0 grams each. The weight includes the piston, rings and wrist pin. The stock postons are 100 mm diameter (bore/liner) and the Woosner pistons are 102 mm.

Sorry for the delay.

Old 12-09-2004, 08:02 PM
KompressorKev is infamous around these parts
yes please do not stop the thread. i can keep looking at this thread for hours, i can't get enough of all the technical expertise and it's great to see someone on such an endeavor. love hearing all the technical analysis and explanations of the components you chose. it's actually nice to chart the progression of a major process and i am loving every bit of it. this car's gonna be killer and i like reading about the buildup. i am sure lots of other members appreciate this thread as well. thanks

btw the rods look hefty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring