VW Touareg, Phaeton, R32 and other VolksWagen's

Switzer Performance Innovation (SPI) does more than Porsches...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 11:31 PM
mxk116 has a spectacular aura aboutmxk116 has a spectacular aura about
Switzer Performance Innovation (SPI) does more than Porsches...

Its only fair that SPI shares some of the love lavished on their Porsche clients with Porsches little bro' VW (especially now that Porsche owns 75% of VW!). You may have heard of SPI's Sledgehammer well this little creation is the R32 Vorschlaghammer!

Here is a dyno sheet for the Vorschlaghammer; this is AWHP & AWTQ

The cams are stock and as are the internals. Once we get this tune dialed in we will probably go back and remove the head spacer and install proper forged turbo pistons, etc. This is also when we will start looking at custom cam profiles.

This is a pretty conservative tune to keep things safe while in development. This engine/car has over 17000 miles on it (some of it under duress if you know what I mean). I'd estimate that at least 5000 miles are on a road course. Boost is 1.1 bar (~16 psi) and we used 104 octane race gas since the car, while still street legal, is being developed primarily for road course use. Ultimately we will run a dual boost control and files for 93 octane as well as race gas.

Here are some pictures of the car under construction;

Engine Bay with intercooler plumbing, BOV, CAI and new battery mount

New battery mount

CF/Fiberglass hood mounted

We did a bunch of data logging runs at Mid Ohio Oct 3/4/5 and Nelson Ledges on Oct 24. The car is fast as stink and is very good at causing great distress on the track for Porsche GT3 and TT drivers. We have had many Porsche-philes come to our paddock wondering how is it possible for a red brick on wheels to walk them in the twisties and pull them in the straights.

Unfortunately I have not yet installed an in-car video system but a friend posted a very brief video to YouTube of the Vorschlaghammer at Mid Ohio coming down the pit straight going into Turn 1. I offer it here FWIW

Last Friday we headed to a FunDay at Nelson Ledges. The pictures posted below are all from there (my son took them when he wasn't driving). Once again the car was awesome. Even though the track was cold and slick for most of the day we still managed to ripped off some 1:16-1:17 laps before we corded the tires and ran out of gas! I don't know about others running the FI but this car drinks gas. I mean I am going through 5 gallons in a 20 minute session. It used to be I would add 15 gallons in the morning and not have to add any more till well into the next day. I guess those bigger injectors and the anti-lag tune contributes a bit to the enormous appetite of the Hammer.

That's all for now. We will inspect the car carefully now that we have several lapping days under our belts so we can dial in the suspension and tune a bit more. Based on what we have done so far with the stock cams I think we will look at aftermarket profiles for the package. I would like the torque to come on a bit more progressively and earlier in the rev band. I am confident that the power mavens at SPI will get it sorted prior to our big trip to Sebring in January 2009.

Until then vaya con dios muchachos

Prepared for battle

A good friends 2006 Viper Challenge car; sweet!

Bye-bye Porsche GT3

Some where on the track going fast

Bye bye BMW; a nice sequence in the same corner with a little post processing

Old 10-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
Sweet looks great! I tried to convince Tim to do my tuning on my project car but he did not seem interested.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:31 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Impressive numbers! The car is still awd?

Old 10-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by Speedshaq
Impressive numbers! The car is still awd?
Yes; AWD.

While the R32 is manufactured as an AWD car it has a typical FWD bias (torque understeer) under normal conditions. I replaced the stock Haldex unit with the Orange Competition Haldex developed for track and rally applications. Where the stock Haldex unit releases the rear axle into a free wheel state as the brakes are applied, the Competition unit keeps the rear axle engaged, generating additional mechanical force to assist in deceleration and maintain dynamic chassis balance. It also is more proactive and aggressive in applying power across all 4 wheels with a more RWD bias permitting the use of throttle oversteer when the situation calls for it.

Last edited by mxk116; 10-29-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:43 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
wow very nice!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mxk116
Yes; AWD.

While the R32 is manufactured as an AWD car it has a typical FWD bias (torque understeer) under normal conditions. I replaced the stock Haldex unit with the Orange Competition Haldex developed for track and rally applications. Where the stock Haldex unit releases the rear axle into a free wheel state as the brakes are applied, the Competition unit keeps the rear axle engaged, generating additional mechanical force to assist in deceleration and maintain dynamic chassis balance. It also is more proactive and aggressive in applying power across all 4 wheels with a more RWD bias permitting the use of throttle oversteer when the situation calls for it.
I understand you maked it as a track car so it's not build for this , but you have some acceleration times?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:06 AM
I understand you maked it as a track car so it's not build for this , but you have some acceleration times?
Nothing official. I am adding an AiM data logging system that should be able to provide some objective measurements. I might ask SPI to borrow their D-Box for some quick measurements because I too am curious about both 0-60 and 60-130 performance (especially the latter).

Old 10-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Jorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant future
Very nice...

Old 10-31-2008, 10:04 AM
WL_GTI is infamous around these parts
This is sweet! You think I can do the same or similar mods to my 07 GTI?

Old 10-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by mxk116
Nothing official. I am adding an AiM data logging system that should be able to provide some objective measurements. I might ask SPI to borrow their D-Box for some quick measurements because I too am curious about both 0-60 and 60-130 performance (especially the latter).
Make sure to post those times after measuring them.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Make sure to post those times after measuring them.
You will be the second person to know!

WL_GTI: with enough time and money anything is possible

Old 11-03-2008, 09:22 AM
.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold
very nice project! keep us updated

Old 11-06-2008, 06:44 PM
humveelat is infamous around these parts
Nice project. Two thumbs up two this project.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:52 AM
We're headed to Winterfest next week...

It's snowing like crazy in Ohio so that must mean it's time to head south for the 15th Annual PBOC Winterfest at Sebring for 4 days of thrashing on track

Here's a picture from Jan 2007 (entering turn 6 prior to the bridge; bye-bye yellow Z06 ).

This is a terrific event and it is always a pleasure to attend. It has gotten dramatically bigger since the first time we participated in Jan 2000. I will bring back images upon our return but don't look for any prior to Feb 1. We plan on spending the rest of our time in Naples, Fla.

Happy New Year.

Vaya con dios muchachos!

Old 01-11-2009, 02:21 AM
Banned
Have fun! We wait pics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Switzer Performance Innovation (SPI) does more than Porsches...